MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR15 stock options.

you could try a Cav Arms sniper stock, its solid like a fixed and adjustable if you need to, plus has a built in monopod and has lots of adjustment to get the right "FIT". i have one on an AR10

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I like the A2 rifle length buffer stocks too. I have been eyeing the wood versions though. ref http://woodforar.com/
    or
    https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
    or
    http://www.blackgunswood.com/
    I sure like the look of the walnut stock in that second link. If I could justify spending the money I'd buy one. I've always been a fan on walnut stocks, even on black rifles.

Boolit Master
    The hogue fixed looks pretty good on a rifle, comfortable, light. No need for the stock spacer, comes out same length as the A2 without the butt plate. May swap it with my skeleton stock for the weight savings.

Fiddled around with swapping some stocks. Will have a fixed and M4 lower to swap out. And put the collapsing back on the 9mm with the heavy buffer I made. Made out of brass with a tungsten rod inside, longer so no need for a stock spacer it comes out to 11 ounces. A solid grass carbine buffer is 5.9 ounces.

The 450 BM needs more weight, a factory rifle buffer or heavy M4 it likes to leave cases still in the chamber. The rifle buffer w a tungsten rod was to much at 12oz. Can easily swap the steel weights for tungsten in steps. 2 weights gets you 6.7oz, 3 is 7.6oz, 4-8.4oz, 5-9.1oz. Easy math a tungsten weight is .8oz heavier than the steel ones.

And I will go the other way, no weights. Nearly got some 22hornet level 223 loads to cycle. Factory bolt, regular gas system, no weights in a rifle buffer and it nearly cycled.

Boolit Master
    Another stock option is the Odin Works Zulu Stock. Adjustable and it has a minimalist style to it.
    https://www.odinworks.com/Zulu_2_0_A...s-zulu-kit.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Another stock option is the Odin Works Zulu Stock. Adjustable and it has a minimalist style to it.
    https://www.odinworks.com/Zulu_2_0_A...s-zulu-kit.htm
    I kinda like that one. I believe I could make one kinda like it with a spring to absorb my sons 450BM he is assembling. I like my wood stock more all the time. I would love to have that minimalist stock but these things get more expensive the smaller they are. Aint gonna spend big buks on the guns stock area.

Boolit Master
    Conclusion I reached was the 450bm is just not something to be shot with a carbine stock. You need buffer/bolt weight, hard to do with a carbine buffer. The extra weight really soaks up the recoil, I do not even have a brake on mine. Keep putting of buying one, not like they are cheap. Will probably buy a tap so I can make my own, or just buy a thread protector.

I like the hogue fixed, minimalist, lighter than an A2 stock, and much softer. Debating about swapping the hogue for the ACE, or just get another lower to put it on. Tho that means another upper...and another trigger...another sight to put on top.

My nephew's Springfield Armory Saint has the most solid telescoping stock I've seen. It still rattles a little, though.

Boolit Master
    The big bores here have Ace stocks, 1" spacer up front and the 1" pad on rear (cause somebody gave me monkey arms). The rattle trap M4 stocks I use the 3M clear 1" chafe tape, I HATE that rattle. Pull stock all the way rear locking and put masking tape 90 across front to know where to stop. Slide off extension and starting at bottom of radius a piece on each side horizontal from rear to tape coming up and a cut to fit width filler at the 12 O'clock. Then cut strips for sides of vertical locking area as needed. Nice and firm and a little drag on movement, makes me happy!

Thanks to the op for bringing this subject up.
    Have a AR 10 and been contemplating what is available .
    Lots to choose from , looking for a setup dealing with recoil issues ..
    The suggestions here are valuable .
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

A2 stocks all the way

Boolit Buddy

I use either an A1 stock or a magpul moe rifle stock. Both are A1 length and I much prefer that length even though I'm 6'2" I just dont like a long stock and prefer the A1 length. Could be because I have a bunch of Ak pattern rifles with short stocks. Even at work when I qualify with an M4 I prefer it to be set to 3 or so setting which is close to an A1 length on a 4 position stock. Not sure on a 6 position.
    It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...od-trade/page3

Boolit Master

I like the Magpul UBR. It telescopes, and has no rattle. It gives you the same comb height, and therefore makes uniform head positioning easier.

With the AR, until I figured out this need for uniform head positioning, my groups wandered around the target by a couple MOA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12