Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Muzzleloader conicals with Ben's Liquid Lube ? ? ?

Boolit Buddy

Muzzleloader conicals with Ben's Liquid Lube ? ? ?

I'm looking for a cleaner way to lube my muzzleloader conicals. Currently the beeswax/veggie shortning finger lube process is not much fun to me. I have been using Ben's Red and Ben's Liquid Lube on my smokeless cast loads and got to wondering how the liquid lube would do on my muzzleloader bullets? Has anyone tried it or have any recommendations? Thank you.

Boolit Man

Cool Muzzleloader Lube

Hi Offshore,
    If you are using real black powder the bullet lube is there not only to lube the bullet on its way down the barrel but also for fouling control. Last year in our muzzleloading 4H group there was one girl using Lee REAL bullets with Lee Alox and pyrodux in the county shootoff. She was having a hard time with fouling, having to clean the barrel between shots. This year that same girl was using real black powder and 50/50 beeswax and olive oil on the same bullets. She did not clean her barrel until the event was over, 12 or 13 shots total.
    I dip my minie balls base first in 50/50 beeswax and olive oil which is heated in a double boiler. It goes fast. The excess lube is pushed off the bullet by the muzzle. You just wipe it off with a towel. Dipping works for me. YMMV

Dip or pan lube with 50/50 veggie shorting, I have used pvc or 50cal speed loader for clean off extra lube.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a newbie with casting /lubing muzzleloader bullets and dipping them in melted lube never crossed my mind for whatever reason. Thank you guys for the tip! Now I just have to figure how I'm going to hold them in order to dip them to get an even coat. . .

Boolit Master
    You can use a disposable pie plate... arrange the bullets on the plate, base down, nose pointing up and just pour melted lube into the pie plate... let it cool and push the bullets out from the bottom... or you can make up a "cutter" from a piece of copper pipe that is slightly over the diameter of the bullet and use that to cut them out of the lube block.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Man

Cool Muzzleloader Lube

Hi Offshore,
    For holding the bullets while dipping in lube, I use a needle nose pliers to lightly and by lightly I mean very gently grasp the nose of the bullet and dip to fill the lube grooves.
    When blending the beeswax/olive oil I use a glass measuring cup in a pot of boiling water. I start with 4 ounces olive oil in the Pyrex cup which is simmering in the water then add chunks of beeswax as that melts keep adding chunks until the level is at 8 ounces. Then give it a stir with a plastic spoon and dip your bullets. I place the bullets on a Goodwill serving tray to cool.
    When you are finished lubing, just turn off the heat on your pot with the water and cup of lube. The lube will solidify when it cools. I leave the lube in the cup. When its time to lube more bullets simply put the cup in simmering water when it melts you can lube your bullets. That what works for me. YMMV

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by newrib View Post
    Hi Offshore,
    For holding the bullets while dipping in lube, I use a needle nose pliers to lightly and by lightly I mean very gently grasp the nose of the bullet and dip to fill the lube grooves.
    When blending the beeswax/olive oil I use a glass measuring cup in a pot of boiling water. I start with 4 ounces olive oil in the Pyrex cup which is simmering in the water then add chunks of beeswax as that melts keep adding chunks until the level is at 8 ounces. Then give it a stir with a plastic spoon and dip your bullets. I place the bullets on a Goodwill serving tray to cool.
    When you are finished lubing, just turn off the heat on your pot with the water and cup of lube. The lube will solidify when it cools. I leave the lube in the cup. When its time to lube more bullets simply put the cup in simmering water when it melts you can lube your bullets. That what works for me. YMMV
    My new bullet I'm going to be casting (http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=55-430M-D.png) is very similar to the Lyman Plains Bullet, I'm not sure if I could grip the nose with NN-pliers and not scare the bullet. Currently I'm using Crisco Veggie Shorting and beeswax 50/50. . .is there any benefit to using olive oil instead?

I tried pan lubing some handgun bullets a few time and it didn't work out as efficiently as I had hoped, but the muzzleloader lube is much more forgiving so I may revisit the process again. I also like the idea of making a cookie-cutter and punching them out that way.

Boolit Grand Master

For short noses like that I use vacuum tubing to dip. Just find a short section of flexible tubing weather rubber or plastic that will expand and grip the nose of the boolit.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!