Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Lyman 93 Globe Sight question

Boolit Master

Lyman 93 Globe Sight question

I have a rifle with a full length rib. The top measures .475" across, does anyone know if the 93 clamp-type mount will fit and will it be anywhere near center?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I only have one of this type and it's on a Rolling Block that has a Rem 513 barrel. I'm pretty sure the
    "Jaws" will span you rib. For center you could probably make shims. If vent rib it would be easier yet.

Boolit Master
    Yeah it's a solid rib. A little shimming or trimming wouldn't be a problem as long as I don't end up with a horrendous pile of scrap metal under one side.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the Lyman 93 is a 1/2" dovetail at the widest points. your rib at .495 is .005 under that. You would need to cut out the sights dovetail leaving straight gripping sirfaces. Better and possible would be to cut the dovetail into the end of the rib for the sight. This will give the mounting surface the sight is desighned for and correct lock up. I would consider this way. mill out a square cut the length and depth you require. drill and tap for 2 8 48 screws. Make a block that sits in this cut with the hole patter and dovetail on the top. When fitted in and bolted down the dovetail will look like it grew there and be just want you need. The plus to this is the block can be adjusted for height and side to side for windage.

When making the insert Stand the stock up above the jaws in the mill vise. Clean up sides and front back to size and square. dust top of stock to finish. drill and counter bore the 2 holes. Cut dovetail working from centerline. ( A cheat is to drill and ream a 1/8" hole on center. this gives a measure point for maintaining centerline). Cut block off stock and clean up the bottom to desired thickness. If you don't want to screw it on this block could be alighned clamped and soldered in place.

Boolit Master
    Thanks CG. The rib is actually .475" but in either case you gave some usable advice.

Boolit Grand Master

Oops read that wrong. Still would have to cut a lot of the sight clamps away at .475. The fitted block would make a good solid mount when fitted up would look like it was part of the rib