Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: 12ga Slugs - Factory Ammo - Penetration Test

Boolit Buddy

12ga Slugs - Factory Ammo - Penetration Test

12ga Slugs - Factory Ammo - Penetration Test

I was always curious as to how far those 12ga slugs can penetrate and I wanted to compare my hand load to slugs that are available in Canada.

Here are the slugs that I wanted to test, because with some I got very good accuracy … and others had a good reputation for penetration. However, i did not get around to test all of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slugs_12ga.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	229187

From left to right:

1. Rio Brenneke
    2. Challenger (Gualandi) Slug
    3. Winchester 3” Rack Master
    4. Federal TruBall
    5. Sellier & Bellot Sport Slug (Low Recoil)
    6. Federal Power Shok Sabot Slug (did not shoot/test that one)
    7. My Buck & Ball load (690 Round Ball, 21 pellets of #4 buck, 29 grains of Blue Dot)
    8. Aguila Mini Slug

Shotgun was an 870 Police with ghost ring sights and fixed IC choke ..

Name:	870_Police_Ghost_Ring_Sights.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	229191

I started out last week end with a setup of 4 pine boards each 1.5 inches thick. To my surprise most of the slugs went right through those 4 pine boards … with the exception of two:

1.) The Aguila Mini Slug penetrated only 2 boards,
    2.) And the Sellier & Bellot Sport Slug penetrated only 3 boards.

So, then I had to give it another try this week end … and this time with 8 pine boards … i.e. 12 inches of pine wood.

Here the set up:
    (I fired from around 8 meters/yards from the target.)

Name:	Penetration_Test_Setup.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	229188

And here the results:

Name:	Slug_Penetratipn_Test_8_Boards.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	229189

Here the link to a high res image:
    http://kalypso.net/temp/Slug_Penetra...t_8_Boards.jpg

1.) Rio Brenneke penetrated 5 boards (I shot two rounds just to be sure … I had expected more from the Brenneke.)
    2.) Challenger slug penetrated 7 boards (actually it was stuck in the 7th board and one could see the nose from the back)
    3.) Federal TruBall slug penetrated 6 boards … now I was surprised by that one because it is a Foster slug.
    4.) For my Buck & Ball load … the 690 round ball penetrated 3 boards this time … got stuck in board 3 in the back.
    5.) Unfortunately I wasn’t able to test the Winchester Rack Master again, but it penetrated 4 boards without any problem in the first test.

And here a picture of the recovered projectiles:

Name:	Recovered_Slugs.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	229190

From left to right:

1.) Brenneke Slug
    2.) Brenneke Slug
    3.) Challenger (Gualandi) Slug
    4.) Federal TruBall
    5.) Sellier & Bellot Sport Slug
    6.) 690 Round Ball

For today the Challenger slug is the clear winner when it comes to penetration. It is a pity that it is not more accurate … I only got a 10 inch group at 50 yards/meters with the Challenger slugs. However, I get 2 inch groups with the Federal TruBall at 50 meters/yards ….

And here the velocities ...

1. Rio Brenneke: 1 1/8oz; 1410 FPS
    2. Challenger (Gualandi) Slug: 1 1/8oz; 1610 FPS
    3. Winchester 3” Rack Master: 1 1/8oz; 1700 FPS
    4. Federal TruBall: 1oz; 1600 FPS
    5. Sellier & Bellot Sport Slug: 1oz; 1345 FPS
    6. Federal Power Shok Sabot Slug: 1oz; 1500 FPS
    7. My Buck & Ball load: Weight 2.1oz; Velocity unknown
    8. Aguila Mini Slug: 7/8oz; 1250 FPS

Voila ... so much for now ....
    Last edited by faustus; 10-21-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Banned
    Greetings faustus, great test and thanks for all your efforts in making it happen in such details.

I wish you the very best.
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Banned

Was that the regular TruBall or the Penetrator version? If it was the standard version, then the TruBall Penetrator might be the best option short of the Brenneke Penetrator or the Brenneke Magnum Crush. Don't know if Dixie Slugs ships to Canada, but the Dangerous Game IXL may be the best penetrator of all. Very hard alloy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Was that the regular TruBall or the Penetrator version? ....
    This was the normal TruBall .... not the copper plated TruBall Deep Penetrator ...

Boolit Master

Now we all know! That is an excellent testing regimen and exactly what it takes to know what shoots best out of your gun. The only thing I would suggest is testing pentration at the same distance as you tested for accuracy. Proportionally would be the same I expect but more realistic of what to expect on game. Of course I would have to use Southern Yellow Pine instead of that wimpy Canadian spruce and the results would be much less spectacular and those soft slugs would be twice as large!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Hogtamer .....you do know your woods ..... !!!
    And yes, you are right ... these were spruce boards and not pine .... I guess I am still learning about lumber and woods .....

Well, I am still learning about shotguns and slugs .... Isn't it fun ...?
    Last edited by faustus; 10-21-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I'm surprised by the RB, I'd have expected better from them.
    Were they hard or soft lead?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob9863 View Post
    I'm surprised by the RB, I'd have expected better from them.
    Were they hard or soft lead?
    The round ball was hard lead .... but keep in mind this was a 2.1 oz buck and ball load with a "conservative" powder charge .... velocity was low .... and the one thing that I learned from this test is ... that there is a pretty direct correlation between velocity and penetration ....

Boolit Bub
    Ah, that makes sense, if I could find enough boards I'd try my hotter loaded .690RB to see how they compare with my Lee slug loads.

Boolit Grand Master

I see your velocities are a bit apples and oranges for comparison which is unfortunate. Not much you can do as it is factory ammunition but looking at the first three listed velocities run from 1410 to 1700 FPS for same weight slug which is a lot.

While the Gualandi slug penetrated further than the Brenneke it is also traveling 200 FPS faster. Due to its more pointy design it may still out penetrate the Brenneke but I'm betting the difference wouldn't be so great if velocities were the same.

I'm also betting your 0.690" RB would do much better if hard cast/heat treated and running at 1500/1600 FPS.

Here's some ballistic gel testing of various shot payloads and a couple of slugs. Brenneke was tested but unfortunately not Gualandi for comparison:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...arious-rounds/

Good report and pics!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I am surprised by the truball. I'm sure we have all seen a plain rifled slug, they flatten out into a coin. My only question is does the ball stay in the slug for a while, or would it fall out by 25 yards? If you do try some more, try those 7/8 oz sluggers. I've never tried them in wood, but I recovered one from a deer, lengthwise shot, that looked like a silver dollar.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure but I think the ball stays with the slug. It pushes up inside to ensure the slug obturates and fills the bore so I have to think it is pretty well lodged in the slug's butt. As far as I know though the Tru-Ball like most factory HB slugs are soft lead so yes, one would expect them to flatten out but the ball may provide enough support that the skirt can't flatten or nose set back easily.

Look at the Lee Drive key slugs. The only difference between them and regular Fosters is the rib/"key" but that seems to add a lot of support. Certainly when they are cast out of wheelweights they stay together very well and don't seem to distort much.

Speaking of which... Faustus, have you tried the Lee Drive Key slugs? If cast from wheelweights and using top end loads they should be pretty comparable to the factory rounds. While I haven't gotten the best accuracy from my unmodified Lee slugs (either 7/8 oz. or 1 oz.) they do okay and do seem to stay together pretty well. I should try some end grain wood penetration tests.

And then there are your 0.690" RB's which should also do very well if hard cast and pushed to max velocities. You should be able to get at least 1500 FPS according to the Lyman manual. That would leave a mark!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I am surprised by the truball. I'm sure we have all seen a plain rifled slug, they flatten out into a coin. My only question is does the ball stay in the slug for a while, or would it fall out by 25 yards? If you do try some more, try those 7/8 oz sluggers. I've never tried them in wood, but I recovered one from a deer, lengthwise shot, that looked like a silver dollar.
    Yes, me as well .... I was really surprised about the penetration of the TruBall .... because normally I get this with foster slugs ...

Attachment 207008

Boolit Master