RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What´s best for neck turning?

Boolit Master

What´s best for neck turning?

Hey guys,
    I want to improve my rifle ammo and want to get in neck turning.

What is the best tool for that?
    "In lead we trust!"

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Sinclairs or K&M work good. Simply neck turning for a factory chamber may not give a big improvement over standard necks selected for consentric neck wall thickness as it adds to the clearance between case and chamber. Better is to form brass from a bigger caliber ( 22-250 or.243 from 308) this makes for a thicker neck allowing for it to be turned and fitted to the chamber. Look at a system that allows for the same expander to be used to open necks in a die and then turned on

Hello jayjay1,

Before one could get 7.65x53 brass, other than overpriced Norma, I resized a bunch of Military 30-06 brass. The necks were thick, and they chambered very hard. I ended up buying an RCBS Neck Turner, kind of tough setting it up but did do what I wanted it to do.

AntiqueSledMan.

RCBS does a good job for 300BO but the case end part is so-so. I have a large chuck elec. drill that the 223 case fits, works fine. I use a feeler gauge to set the cut, micrometer is pretty useless but does have fine threads. If much metal is removed, do it in small steps (yea, repeat the batch). Never tried the shell holder type attachment, suspect it would be a PITA.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

K&M works great for me.

Boolit Buddy
    K&M. Works good. That's all I have ever used, so can't speak for other brands.

Boolit Buddy
    I have forester and hornady. I like the forester best.

Boolit Master
    I use a 7x14 mini lathe which works very well but it's a bit spendy for just neck turning.

K & M or forester

Boolit Master
    May be more modern tools out there, but I'm still using a Forster that has worked well for about forty years.

I have RCBS and 21st Century for my Bench rest rifle it is very expensive but I'm using it for almost everything now. Neck turning is new to me, I have done it with a KM in the past for other people it works good.
    http://http://www.xxicsi.com/neck-turning-lathe-complete.html

Boolit Master

K&M has the finest adjustment and easy to use. Ken Markel [K&M] was a benchrest shooter and developed several unique tools to improve accuracy.
    You do not have to turn the entire neck for hunting rifles, just remove the high spots for 2/3rds. of neck.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I like the k&m, I have the foster was well, the foster tool that hold the case I just don't like it

Boolit Grand Master

There are several good ones. I'll second either K&M or Sinclair. The little Forster works well but is harder to get adjusted. I would also suggest only cleaning up part of the neck.
    I have a couple of rifles that I have to turn the necks for but I've seen little to no improvement turning necks on factory rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

A rifle with a tight necked chamber and necks turned to fit can be very accurate. This is a bench rest technique that leaves .001 or less neck chamber clearance. It alighns the cartridge very accurately and can result in very concentric ammo. This ammo is normally loaded on custom straight line dies in a ahrbor press.

A factory chamber has .002-.003 neck clearance in it to allow for the tolerances in neck thickness with factory ammo. Neck turning here allows even more room. Sizing a case down from a larger caliber case will give some added thickness to allow the fitted case to be made.

My 243 is a tight necked chamber with a .267 neck dia, Cases are neck turned for a loaded round neck dia of .266 dia leaving .001 total clearance. This rifle and ammo is a3/8 moa performer. My varmint .243 with rem cut factory chamber and these cases Is a 1 - 1 1/4 moa performer. There are some other differences to consider. The match rifle is custom built trued action, Hart barrel, jewel trigger, titanium firing pin, and pillar bedded, built to exacting standards. The varmint is all factory trigger is tuned and rifle is bedded.

Boolit Master
    I have several neck turning tools.
    K&M, Ferris Pindell, Marquart, several Marquart copies made in the shop and 2 or 3 Forster attachments for my case trimmers.
    All work ok. The kind and quality of the expanders and pilots makes a lot of difference in the ease of use so K&M are probably the easiest to use. The best finish is produced by the wide cutter of the Pindell tool.
    The Forster is also easy to use.
    The Marquart tools are slower to set so I set them for a given rifle and never mess with them. None of my turni g tools match some of the elaborate tools used by the real bench rest shooters. You can check them out at the accurateshooter reloading forum.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I use a 7x14 mini lathe which works very well but it's a bit spendy for just neck turning.
    Do you know where one can get a 4-jaw chuck for one of those little things?

Boolit Master

K&M is a great tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast