Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Moly coated bullets for 9mm

Boolit Mold

Moly coated bullets for 9mm

Hello. New member here. I wanted to ask opinions on loading moly coated bullets for a Smith & Wesson Shield for practice. I used to shoot quite a lot of them in my Bullseye .45 but at pretty low velocity. Very accurate with no adverse affect in the barrel. With the 9mm load it will be 1050 aprox. in velocity . If there is someone with experience in this type of reload I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

Dan

Welcome to the forum. I can't answer that one. Just wanted to say welcome.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the welcome. I see there is a coatings forum. Should I have posted there?

Wouldn't hurt to post there as well. Give you two spots for answers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I buy 32 cal moly coated pistol bullets (0.314) and size them down to 0.311 and shoot them in my 30-30 for plinkers and target-- usually around 1100 fps or even a little higher. No leading or accuracy issues at all. I also use 0.358 (125 grain) moly coated bullets in my 357 Magnums (revolver and rifle). In the revolver I get 1200 fps with no issues of leading or deposits in the forcing cone. In my Henry rifle I regularly shoot them at 1400 fps with no leading or accuracy problems.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot PCed and Hi-Tek coated bullets to close to jacketed velocities, no problems, but I mostly just used lead bullet data. I cast some 125 gr RNFP with my Lee mold and PCed them for my 3, 9mms. Worked quite well...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I first shot moly coated lead boolits in 1994 in 44 mag. Had no problems. It was a sprayed on coating. So I think your 1050 velocity will be just fine.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Moderator Emeritus

What many found in the 90's was that moly was hydroscopic or a water attractant. It would be less of a concern in a pistol barrel but a bigger on for rust in a rifle barrel.
    It was slicker than most lubes so with the lessened friction, velocities were reduced with no apparent accuracy gain.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    I will keep watch on the barrel . When I used moly coated bullets years ago in .45 BullsEye I never had experienced rust issue but I cleaned religiously . From the accuracy after shooting a box of moly I am happy with it. Will see how it respond to switching back and forth w/jacketed. The first test seemed no difference and still good accuracy. Really appreciate all you experience and help everyone. I like this forum!

Dan

Boolit Grand Master

When one says "moly coating", I think of the use of molybdenum-disulfide, which was popular years ago. "Moly" coating is different from PCing and I often question a thread that says "moly"; are they talking about the new method of powder coating or the older method of applying molybdenum-disulfide to bullets?...
    Last edited by mdi; 10-23-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Mold
    These are from the 90's and are Moly coated. As mentioned I reloaded a lot of the same manufactured moly bullets for Bullseye at slower velocity. I have shot 50 rounds so far and barrel cleans up well. Going to shoot 100 tomorrow and will update.

Boolit Master

Tried moly coating several years back. If used in a revolver with any real pep, the moly coating on boolits will defeat the cartridge crimp. In other words, the moly makes the boolit too slick and the cartridge case can't hold on to the boolit. Was shooting the boolits in a 5-shot .45 Ruger Bisley modified by Hamilton Bowen (new oversized, longer cylinder, etc). After 4 shots with a LBT 340 gr. gas check boolit the 5th round was jacked out of the case. With less energetic loads, it might work okay but if my memory serves me correctly, that's why I stopped using moly with my .45 ACP loads. Big Boomer

Boolit Mold
    I have been loading 4.3 of ww231 for my 9mm Shield w/stated 1050fps and have not seen any issue with bullet movement in the case. I do roll crimp solidly though.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I tested powder moly years ago in rifles. Very inconsistent velocities.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I moly my jacketed rifle bullets, as you don't get copper fouling in fast rifle rounds like the 220 swift. I don't think you can moly cast bullets, as the process would deform lead bullets. Lyman makes 'Super Moly' bullet lube. That's just grease with moly added to it...