Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: My first paper patched bullets.

My first paper patched bullets.

First real try

Last edited by armednfree; 10-21-2018 at 04:45 PM.

In Remembrance

A very promising start! You will only do better by doing it more. Good luck!Robert

Your patching seems satisfactory. You will likely have better grouping with 4198, 4227, Reloader 7 or even 2400. The vertical stringing is indicative of poor powder burn of which, I am sure you are aware. Keep at it; the paper patched bullet is all I use for hunting with high power rifle.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

With the amount of unburned powder in the barrel that is a given. I may run 3031 again but it will be a compression load, raise the pressure.

The 2400 load I find interesting. No filler required and velocity is respectable. It would be nice to get the 3031 to work, I have a bunch of that that I don't use for anything else.

Boolit Master
    Looks like you're closing in on it. Thanks for posting. I find cigarette papers to work good in my Italian Sharps. Already gummed and go from .453 to .463 I let 3/16 hang over the back edge and fold over and crimp down on a piece of wood. trim front to work. They dry up and shrink on tight.

I've not tried cigarette paper for "patching" (great idea!), but I have used "Bond" paper. I use a 2" strip cut diagonally on the ends and wrapped around the area below the shoulder of the bullet (two wraps); then twist the end of the "overage" on the base and dip it in water. After the paper has dried (overnight, usually), I cut off the twisted tail, and "swish it" around in a butter dish "sprinkled" with Lee's Alox; I then let it dry for at least 12 hours before loading. As it works out, the Bond paper on .308 diameter bullets work out to .318 diameter (increases diameter .005 per wrap) to fit my 8X57JR drilling of the same bore size. I've been very pleased with the shooting results of paper patched bullets!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you’re not getting complete powder burn, you might try magnum primers. Otherwise, a slightly faster powder. Cast boolits like faster powder than jacketed boolits in general.

Sometimes it takes about a 100 rounds of paper patch for the rifle to start shooting its best. The paper will smooth and polish the bore to a glass like finish, and it will also clean out any and all metal deposits left from shooting jacketed slugs. Don't worry about the paper harming the bore. It won't.
    Brodie

Boolit Bub
    Get some tractor feed paper, like the old green bar. I have a case of white tf paper if you want some pm me it works .pm me if you want some.

Boolit Bub
    The other thing is you want a longer bearing surface, short bullets don't work as well. The 451 volunteer mold works great.

Boolit Bub
    Lyman 451114 i got mine used for half nos. Never been used go look.

Boolit Bub
    Probably the best over the counter 4570 pp mold.