RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: New Cast/Loading Shop

Boolit Master

New Cast/Loading Shop

**** mice got into the nice siding I had stored for the shop and Winter's coming, time to get to work. The floor joists are 2x8 on 4x6 pressure treat sleepers. The floor is 1 1/8 T&G and 5/8 4x9 T111 siding. Everything is on 16" centers and tight so I can move it later if I want. Been on it a week now, roof plywood is on, windows and siding calked ready for paint. The building is 8x12. Windows from the Habitat ReStore I bought while searching for house windows. Pictures for lightman. LOL Will post cost amd materials when I'm done. I plan to insulate and drywall so it is framed like a house with nailers for drywall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shop01.jpg   Shop02.jpg   Shop03.jpg   Shop04.jpg   Shop06.jpg  

Shop07.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

Nice
    Will be a great space
    Insulation and drywall will allow for year-round comfort.

Nice! Electric?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy

Built one similar a few years ago as a shooting shack. Used particle board inside instead of drywall. On skids with chain hooks bolted on to move around, also put a porch on front. Am reworking fence around it now to get inside without having to go through a gate. Shooting table for left and right hand shooting, gun barrels out the sliding window. Only problem so far is the squirrels keep trying to chew through the T-3 treated siding to get inside. I put a metal roof on mine, have not utilized mine very much. Need to shoot more.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Nice! Electric?
    Of course. LOL Maybe compressed air. I have the parts for the cheap air conversion for the Star Sizer.

I dropped in 2 more rafters for drywall nailers before I sheeted the roof. I'll insulate between the rafters before I add the top wall nailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shop08.jpg   Shop09.jpg  
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 10-21-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    Mal

Boolit Buddy
    Looks great. Only issue I see, is that it won't be long before you wished you had made it bigger. But even if you made it bigger now, you would still soon wish you had made it bigger yet!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    a thought; outside with intermittent heat / air, will moisture be an issue? dry wall sucks up moisture. ever thought about thin plywood for interior cover?

Boolit Master
    8x12 is all I have space for. The back wall will get sheeted with galvanized steel after paint and I'll move it back 2 feet against the hill. I'll be able to move it again to do real retaining of the hill later. Casting bench goes under the brown window. Reloading on the opposite wall 90* to the tall window. The ceiling is 80" on the low side, 96" high side, I plan to heat with a portable heater will be sitting most of the time so ceiling height is just enough. I'm thinking a 2 foot deep bench on the back wall the full length for general purpose. Casting bench on the right, reloading on the left.
    Mal

Banner Sponsor

Looks awesome! I'd suggest wiring in several outlets. My reloading room has OSB on the walls and ceiling so you can mount stuff wherever you want without looking for a stud. For lighting, I ran from the switches to outlets on the ceiling so I could use 4 foot shop lights that just plug in. That way you can add more or position them wherever you want without having to wire in a new box.

Boolit Master
    I just started nailing boxes on today. Wish I'd picked up more of those cheap Costco shop lights, now they want $30. The paint and roof are done. I sheeted the back with 26 ga galvanized steel for rot and fire protection ($80) then pushed it back 2 feet. The 4x6 skids are screwed to all the joists and it is quite rigid. I'm making the list for electrical and insulation. There will be at least 2 circuits, probably 3, pot, hotplate, and a heater to keep me toasty. I wanted an outswing door and could only find a 32" so I reframed down from 36" and bought a HD prehung exterior for $169 to get it raintite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shop10.jpg   Shop11.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Buddy
    Looking Great!

Boolit Master
    The next phase in my pole shed is going to have surface mount conduit for wiring. At the 50 yard mark I have a oil tank split length wise up on tip up tubing about 5 feet off the ground to the bottom edge of the tank. The front (bottom of the tank) is cut out and wide open. I have a skid pan from a small dozier worked over to shoot off. Slug guns - rim fires - hand gun's. Looks like a Super Duty 1/2 barrel Hut.

Boolit Master
    Looks good, hope it lives up to all your expectations!

The thought did occur to me and you mention it in relation to using metal siding on perhaps one side ..... fire!

You appear to reside on step terrain with certainly some fuel load. I come from a cattle and timber owning family of a few generations in WA State. We are always thinking in terms of fuel management. We had some fires in our state this season but your state broke records left and right and not good ones.

Best of luck on your project!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    California got out of firefighting a few years ago so we are pretty much on our own. They literally stood at the fire station and watched my home burn. I have more metal to go up, hope to plaster the house, and have a big burn season planned.

I got the ceiling wired yesterday just need to do a town run for insulation. I have enough drywall left from the house to do the ceiling and that would get it off the floor and out of my way to do the walls. It's been on The List for days, I'm just not that fond of town. LOL
    Mal

Boolit Master
    If you look close at the building the corners are trimmed with metal rather than wood and there is very little trim to catch fire. The eaves are only 4" and flashed with metal. Everything will get metal roofs as I get to them.
    Mal