Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so... You have 11teen loads for one bullet one caliber...

Boolit Master
    I like to use the highest loading density possible to reduce position sensitivity issues. However, it depends on the powder also. Fast powders like Bullseye or 231 don't seem to be as position sensitive as flake powders like Unique or Blue Dot. Ball powders work better for me and I can deal with loading density by choosing between AA5/7/9.
    Loren

Titegroup is what I use for a lot of pistol and a double charge in a 38 case doesn't look all that different. It doesn't come anywhere close to filling a case even 1/2 way. So that is why the ability to visually check a load is front and center in my thinking. I find it more accurate than Unique which fills the case more. Not a huge accuracy difference but some. Which proves nothing about a different powder or pistol but it is what my experience has been.

Try a blind accuracy check. Someone else loads for you and records which powder/load each group is. You shoot without knowing which it is.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    SNIP...

i KNOW there are a few who know what i'm talking about. it's a simple question.

does a mostly filled case do better than one that relies on a very small grain load to do the same job?
    I would think it would be quite rare for a "mostly filled case do better"
    ...about the only time it would, is when you have a load of position sensitive powder where the load is less then 50% of case capacity.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    A case that has a powder charge that fills it more than 50% might be safer, making a double charge more noticeable, but whether it would shoot better is problematic. I recently acquired a S&W 52-2 which even with my tired old eyes shoots <2" groups at 25 yards. 3.0 grains of BE barely covers the bottom of the case, and while the 358-063 wadcutters take up some of the space in the case, there is still ample room for a double or triple charge. I could go to a slower, bulkier powder like Unique or Herco but past experience tells me I will not get equal accuracy.

All powders are not equally suitable for maximum accuracy, even if they are "safer."
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

How much a powder fills a case is immaterial to me. I use a lot of Bullseye and accuracy is always been my primary concern. I use it in .38 and .357 cases in the 4 gr range with 130,120 and 158 gr bullets with accuracy in the revolvers in the 2-2.5"@50 yds. In my .357 leverguns accuracy is in the 3 moa range@100 yds. Ballistics are very uniform with single digit and low double digit SD's. I have 2 30-30 Bullseye loads (Hows that for case capacity?) with single digit SD's! Lee 312-155-2r/ 7.0 bullseye gives 1272 fps, es=22 fps,sd=6 fps and sub 2"@100yds. Lyman311410/5.0 Bullseye gives 1140 fps with 19 es and 5 sd and groups of sub 2"@100 yds. The ballistics quoted are for 10 shot strings.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12