WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digging out

Boolit Master

Digging out

It's a lot of work trying to dig out and get rid of stuff. I made the decision a couple years ago that I just have too much stuff. I needed to thin the herd dramatically.

So I started out slowly and have picked up the pace. I've sold off and gotten rid of a lot of stuff in the last year. It's a lot of work figuring out what stuff is worth and the best way to sell it. The more I dig out, the more there is to dig out and get rid of, and I've barely even started with the molds and guns.

It could be a full time job to clean out a collection, if you don't want to give them away at fire sale prices. It's funny, you spend decades collecting all your "treasures", and then it's a burden thinning it all out.

It's all good though, it actually feels good to be getting rid of stuff I've been hanging onto for years but will never use.

Banned

I retired 8 years ago, have been getting rid of things I saved because I might need it some day. I'll sell it before my heirs have to pay to get rid of it.

Boolit Master

I have the same ideas, I want to lighten the load. But in my garden shed I have a nearly complete Yamaha XS11 1980 year. I have everything except the frame. I have advertised it for parts several times in Craigslist and haven't had a single bite. So I tried the trailer hitch for my 2000 Toyota, not one nibble. Next a oxyacetylene torch set, thats right not one bite. I am going to just give it to a really good friend and be done with it. And this is just a tiny bit of what I want moved out. What a bummer!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

Digging out

After the birth of my second son last year I decided to get rid of some of my cars. I had five VWs at the beginning of this year. I’m now down to one along w/ a lot smaller pile of spare parts. Plan on getting rid of all the spare parts, there’s something like ten sets of wheels in there, and the car come next spring. The Harley will be sold off as well.

As much as it pains me I’ve been thinking about selling some of my guns. There are to many I’ve never shot. And there’s to much upkeep even though they’re stored in safes. It’s going to be quicker and easier to sell them then pull them out and prep them for long term storage.

I should probably sell off some of my tools as well. I’m not working in residential HVAC anymore and there’s a lot of tools I could sell. But CL is a horrible way to sell anything. And eBay/PayPal take a huge cut. I guess some money would be better than it just sitting around collecting dust.

Boolit Grand Master

I started thinning out my stuff when I retired three years ago. I posted some stuff about this at that time. I found several buckets of lead that I didn't even remember having. At one time I thought that I wanted to collect knives. Another time I started collecting belt buckles. These took up a whole closet! I had reloading dies and brass for calibers that I no longer owned. And duplicate reloading tools. I also had a huge inventory of electrical material and lots of tools in my shop. And stuff!

Well, I got a couple of tables at one of the better local gun shows and sold the knives, belt buckles, reloading stuff and a few guns. A couple of contractor buddies bought my work truck, tools and inventory. I also made several trips to the local dumpster. I sold a few things on Craig List but for the most part I just had a bunch of tire kickers and window lickers! I think my boys breathed a sigh of relief when I got the shop cleaned out.

Since then I have organized my brass and lead inventory and have gotten better at labeling my reloads. My Wife and I have a will and I have a few lines in it about my guns and suggestions on dealing with my brass and lead.

And yes, it was a job! My life is simpler and neater now.

Boolit Master

But in my garden shed I have a nearly complete Yamaha XS11 1980 year.
    I rode a 1980 XS11 for several years, a Midnight Special. I loved that bike! It couldn't hold a candle to modern sport bikes, but it sure was a lot of fun. I sold it when the kids started coming along. Maybe when they're grown I'll find another one.

I've done pretty well with both Ebay and Gunbroker for some things. They do take a big cut but once you learn how to do it you can end up with a pretty fair price for most things.

I used Craigslist for stuff that wasn't easy to ship. We did pretty well where we lived before but where we live now it seems about useless.

I've always held onto odds and ends because I might need it someday. Lately I've been throwing junk in the garbage that I've been packing around for decades. My thought is that if I haven't used it in 20 years, I never will.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I've always held onto odds and ends because I might need it someday. Lately I've been throwing junk in the garbage that I've been packing around for decades. My thought is that if I haven't used it in 20 years, I never will.
    90/90 is one statistical rule. Have you used it in the past 90 days and will you use it in the next 90 days? If both are no then toss it. There’s obvious exceptions. But for a lot of things it makes sense. I’m sure we all have junk drawers w/ useless garbage in it that will never be used.

Boolit Master

On a positive note, I've sold enough stuff to pay off a lot of medical bills.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    90/90 is one statistical rule. Have you used it in the past 90 days and will you use it in the next 90 days? If both are no then toss it. There’s obvious exceptions. But for a lot of things it makes sense. I’m sure we all have junk drawers w/ useless garbage in it that will never be used.
    If this is the case I need to get rid of all my guns, reloading stuff, my wife, bird dog, snow blower, snow shovels, fishing stuff & kids (They're Millennials)

Boolit Grand Master

I said there’s obvious exceptions and you mentioned a few of them. People that live in small homes/apartments know how important it is to keep clutter to a minimum. As soon as my kids grow past their toys and clothes we donate them. There’s no need to keep them around.

Boolit Master

When our oldest was a baby, I swore that we wouldn't overdo it with all the excessive toys and clutter. That didn't last. My boys' room sometimes needs cleaned with a scoop shovel. Every so often we just get rid of a bunch of stuff. I just can't stand the clutter.

My reloading room feels the same way every so often. I'm often reminded of Thoreau- "Simplify, Simplify..."

On the one hand I read the threads about "Do you have enough for the rest of your life?" I might think that way if I was twenty years older, but I'm still relatively young for this forum, and I've got a family to raise. It's long overdue to de-clutter and simplify a bit.

The next step is to thin out the guns. It's hard to figure which ones though. I used to tell myself that I'd never again sell a gun that I didn't hate, but I've got several nice hunting rifles that I haven't used in many years, and probably never will again. No point in keeping them just because I "might need them someday."
    Last edited by fatelk; 10-21-2018 at 01:42 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Problem with getting rid of stuff, is the younger generation only want the newest, expensive stuff.
    Doesn't matter if it's reloading tools, firearms, auto parts, tools and equipment, whatever.
    Once in a while, if your lucky, you'll find someone who knows the value of good equipment.
    Being on an island, we're very limited on craftsmen, precision shooters and reloaders.
    It's kind of sad seeing the younger generation, that has no appreciation for older historical things.
    Lots of "Grand pa's old stuff" is just thrown away most of the time.

Boolit Master
    After the birth of my second son last year I decided to get rid of some of my cars. I had five VWs at the beginning of this year. I’m now down to one along w/ a lot smaller pile of spare parts. Plan on getting rid of all the spare parts, there’s something like ten sets of wheels in there, and the car come next spring. The Harley will be sold off as well.

As much as it pains me I’ve been thinking about selling some of my guns. There are to many I’ve never shot. And there’s to much upkeep even though they’re stored in safes. It’s going to be quicker and easier to sell them then pull them out and prep them for long term storage.

I should probably sell off some of my tools as well. I’m not working in residential HVAC anymore and there’s a lot of tools I could sell. But CL is a horrible way to sell anything. And eBay/PayPal take a huge cut. I guess some money would be better than it just sitting around collecting dust.
    I’ll take the Franken-CZ...

Boolit Master
    I’ve been considering liquidating a lot of stuff too. As I was brushing the dust off all of my guns (shame!!), I realized I just don’t use them much anymore. Of course I work a bazillion hours a week...

However, I have 5 case trimmers, a Dillon, multiple single stages, and just a ton of redundant stuff. I’ve taken to buying commercial cast boolits, jacketed bullets, and loaded ammo while the sales are good. I reckon if I keep on my current purchase plan I may never have to cast a bullet again. So the question asked is do I now sell my casting stuff? As the loaded ammo stash grows, begin to look at selling off 90% of my reloading stuff.

I’m keeping all the reloading supplies, but presses, guns, knives need to be moved on.

I have a bunch of Randall knives that just sit in a display case. I only use 1 fixed blade and 1 folder for all of my grand adventures. It’s just hard to let it go. I worked my backside off to buy my stuff. It’s not eating anything, but it takes up space and is really wasted cash potential sitting a drawer or a glass case.

Then there is the huge building stuffed full of drying walnut that my brother and I plan to use up in retirement, and on, and on, and on.

First world problems...

I have just thinned my mould herd significantly with more to come. I guess I finally came the realization that if I won't use the mould (including a fair number of Hensley & Gibbs moulds) I will sell it.
    This helped fund my purchase of a pristine 1915 made Baker Gun Co. Black Beauty Special double, a complete disassembly and cleaning, and a honing clean up of the barrels.
    Kind of nice to sell stuff you won't use for something else you won't use.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    We are a nation of hoarders, look at all the storage business's. I moved after 48 years at the same house. WOW what a shock, I gave stuff away and still filled a dumpster full of stuff to be thrown away. Found a fly wheel for a '53 F100 like I had a use for it the PU was gone 48 years ago.
    Frank G.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I’ll take the Franken-CZ...
    That one isn’t on the list. But when you thin out your gun collection you better get ahold of me to buy your Franken CZ

I recently changed to a set of CGW’s tritium night sights. Picking up the front post is a lot easier now.

"I might need this someday" is where the pile starts!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That one isn’t on the list. But when you thin out your gun collection you better get ahold of me to buy your Franken CZ

I recently changed to a set of CGW’s tritium night sights. Picking up the front post is a lot easier now.

That’s it. We’re not friends anymore, lol. I’m not selling my franken-CZ either.

Boolit Grand Master

Its hard for me to sell guns although I did sell a few. Ones that I bought on a whim or that I thought that I wanted and had my taste change. Or ones that didn't appreciate in value like I hoped. or ones that did...........

Being diagnosed with MS I pretty much had to retire. That made it easier to sell my shop stuff than it would have been otherwise. Somehow knowing that I would not be able to use most of the shop stuff made it easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast