MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digging out

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    That’s it. We’re not friends anymore, lol. I’m not selling my franken-CZ either.
    You should be busy shooting that Mod 27 357 mag.....

Over the years, my father purchased a pile of supplies and a pile of weapons
    He would buy a gun for himself then buy several for me and a couple of my brothers.
    It was fun until it started getting into odd calibers I didn't want to shoot or even load for but I did.
    44/40 and 38/40 comes to mind.
    He would give us weapons in those calibers so we would develop loads for them.
    He has since given up all his weapons except for a handful of standard calibers (22lr, 38sp, 40sw)
    So I feel you pain.
    Over the past 18 months or so I have sold over 30 weapons that either were duplicates or in a caliber / style I didn't want.
    Single Action revolvers - don't like them - so there went 38/40 and 44/40. Keeping 32/20 for rifle and have a K frame in 32/20
    Their matching caliber long guns went too.
    Supplies, holy smoke. I got 44/40 brass to last generations.
    Same with 38/40

Right now, me and my brother ray have started going thru our safes and making the hard choices.
    Do we want to keep this or sell it.
    Luckily for us, the huge hoard of weapons have allows us to sell them and buy stuff we would of never thought of buying.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ump.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	229164
    I have one of those now. Its a converted USC rifle so its semi but its on my NFA trust as a SBR. I have it setup in 40sw but have the conversion kit for 45acp
    I would of never paid the money it took to build that if it wasn't for selling surplus guns.

we still have a few more weapons but a PILE of supplies to go thru.

I had a big 30x30 metal building back in MS stuffed with stuff. Woodworking, tools, all sorts of stuff. Vandals took a couple of 3 thousand out of it, air compressor, some saws, mainly large stuff they could sell for decent $ at the pawnshops. Some various air tools.. oh well. Then we finally sold off the place and I left a pile of stuff that was too bulky or two heavy. Thinned out a lot. Then I moved again and got rid of a smaller table saw and Bandsaw that I didn't need. But unfortunately I have large basement that I can't get my wife and daughter to clean their stuff out. Oh, one other hobby was N scale trains. I'm in process of selling all those items off on ebay. Over a thousand dollars generated that I would have though was less than half that (but original cost was closer to $1500) Generated a bit of cash for a couple of gifts.
    Moving after 20 years helps you let go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    You should be busy shooting that Mod 27 357 mag.....
    That’s the only one I’ve shot, lol. That revolver is smooth as glass and isn’t going anywhere.

Boolit Buddy

My Dad bought all sorts of reloading items in the 60's and 70's, and only used about 10% of them. I sold many of his NOS items here for him, and now he's getting serious and wants me to sell off his remaining items.
    Seeing what he did with buying stuff and collecting, was what kept me from "going there".

Banned

I am still buying stuff that I may never use. Pretty stupid. Since I believe the One is None and Two is one mantra, I have twice as much of that stuff. Will start after the first of the year. Lot of neglected firearms. I tend to shoot a few and the majority are ignored. Way too many presses, etc. It is all going. What is super stupid is that I subtracted calibers and the stuff that goes with them, and added the same calibers, and then some. Pipes, pipe tobacco (actually a great investment), knives, and on and on. Great thread, especially if it motivates me.

Boolit Grand Master

I sell guns once in a while but mostly I clean or throw out stuff from the previous years. I have trouble chucking perfectly good screws, bolts, wire ends, 3ft pieces of 2x4's, odds and ends of brass and so on.

Every fall both my wife and I for some reason start buying meat on sale for the winter. Growing up without a lot to eat has that effect on you I guess and although we both have more than enough to buy what we need we still fill the freezer and just can't stand going by stuff on sale
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

pipe tobacco (actually a great investment),

How? Don't use tobacco but doesn't it go bad or stale or something? You can put it in a fridge or freezer, I remember my father keeping his pipe tobacco in the fridge, but doesn't it have a shelf life?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    That’s the only one I’ve shot, lol. That revolver is smooth as glass and isn’t going anywhere.
    We’re really not friends if you won’t sell me that one either

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    pipe tobacco (actually a great investment),

How? Don't use tobacco but doesn't it go bad or stale or something? You can put it in a fridge or freezer, I remember my father keeping his pipe tobacco in the fridge, but doesn't it have a shelf life?
    If it comes in a tin or factory sealed bag it becomes more valuable over time. For instance, I have over five pounds of a coveted, and really hard to get blend that I paid $35 for the factory sealed mylar 8 ounce bag. I can easily sell them, around 12, for $150. Probably will keep one or two. Another example a very popular brand went out of business suddenly. I have 35 pounds of their "best" blends mostly in 100 gram tins and some in 50 gram tins. They improve with age and as a general matter the older the better. I can easily triple, or more, my money on those right now with only two to five years of age on them. They will continue to rise in value. Once you hit 5 to 10 plus years they are in the zone of aging goodness and most any decent blend in a sealed 10 year old tin, or older will be worth much, much, more than it cost. Like wine, aging is a good thing. The market is hot, especially from Chinese buyers.

Boolit Master
    I don't know about everyone else, but my parents grew up thru the Depression & the practice of saving things for hard times, or for patching up things, if times get hard again was passed on to me & my siblings.

I have the same issue as many who have commented here & am just starting into the "I have not used it & my kids likely won't , so time to sell, or pitch it in a dumpster." train of thought.

As mentioned though, it seems no one wants to buy even items that are in excellent , or outstanding condition. Baffles me.

A person goes to an auction sale & folks will spend "more than new amount" of $$ on some old piece of junk, while something new "goes for a song". I just do not "get it"...

Hell, sometimes I try just giving things away, but no one wants the things. End up pitching them in the trash. A doggone shame too.

Anyway, G'Luck! to those who are trying to simplify their lives by reducing the amount of items they have. It ain't easy, that is for sure...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

My parents also survived the depression by being thrifty. Nothing that could have a later use or repurpose was wasted. I am left with their collection and the trait that I inherited from them.
    While right at the moment we are in a much better political climate, we just avoided a recession/depression of monumental proportion, and things could easily go south very quickly. That having been the impedance for the last bad times could make saving seemingly junk, valuable again. Our parents had good reason to save/hoard stuff. Among other things, guns and ammo may become a way of maintaining life. Having extra may be a way of protecting what we have and getting what we need.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12