WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Walther CCP and reloads using fast vs. slowe(er) burning propellants.

Boolit Master

Walther CCP and reloads using fast vs. slowe(er) burning propellants.

Walther CCP and reloads using fast vs.slowe(er) burning propellants.
    First, I'm not sure if this inquiry belongs here, or in the "General Firearms" forum, so mods should feel free to move it where they feel it is most appropriate (or gets seen most, either way). Secondly, reloads using cast OR "J-word" bullets are fair game. I post this inquiry on a CB-oriented website because the breadth of knowledge on here extends FAR beyond this forum's primary (and TOTALLY legitimate) focus.

The Walther CCP auto-pstol operates on a gas-operated system that retards the slide's rearward travel to a lower force/velocity vs. what may be expected from a straight blow-back system. Personally, I think it's innovative, forward-thinking and, well, just COOL!

But the first thing I wondered about was if the range of "usable" propellants for the piece might be narrowed, because the system is designed to operate with a certain amount of gas pressure being diverted to the "motion retardation" tube. I'm thinking in analogy to the "window" of burn rates in powders best suited for use in the M1 Garand.

If I had to guess, I would expect the system to be optimized for powders that burn in the Alliant Green Dot to Alliant Herco range, but might have trouble with powders that typically burn outside it, like AA N100 or VV N310 on the fast side, or Alliant Blue Dot, AA#7 or AA#9 on the slower side. I'm not sure of what SORT of trouble may arise, and if I know Walther, they envisioned this problem early on.

I'm just wondering if any reloaders have experienced difficulties or even "different but acceptable" behaviours with reloads using very fast/very slow pistol powders in the CCP. All this "curiosity" is coming from a very ardent user/defender of Alliant Unique or Herco in 9x19mm (and plenty of AA#5 also), which I would expect to work just fine in the CCP.
    This is largely just a point of curiosity for me. "Best surmises" from shooters who've used neither the CCP nor the very fast/very slow powders are welcome, also. This is a(n) heuristic inquiry, not a metaphysically critical philosophical debate.

Thanks in Advance!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

There have been a few articles on felt recoil with fast vs slow powders. I’d imagine a faster powdernwoukd take the most advantage of that system.

Boolit Master
    Yes, the measured recoil thing could be a a manifestation of differing propellant burn rates, though with the "gas-operated" nature of the action, the PERCEIVED recoil may be so reduced as to make the differences impalpable.

I guess I should have specified that the things about which I was wondering (and for which there's not much of a good metric outside a ballistics lab) are slide velocity and peak gas pressure at the gas port. Since the gas port is closer to the chamber than to the muzzle, I INTUIT that slower-burning powders wouldn't likely present a risk of excessive pressure at that point. On the other hand, very slow-burning powders MIGHT not generate sufficient pressure to vent into the "recoil retardation" region and make it work properly, before the slide begins traveling rearward. Just thinking out loud, here.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I've one (first gen) that I have shot maybe 25-30 cast powdercoated reloads through. Not much data, but I was using power pistol (just what I had loaded at the time) Std load that Ive used in G17 and my PPQ with no issues. Shot decent, I need to take out and sight it in. It is NOT accurate at 25 yards. I put it back in the safe to work with later. I LOVE my PPQ and it is only slightly larger, but a good bit heavier due to 17 rounds, vs 7.

I've used Red Dot and Unique successfully in my CCP. I prefer RD. A little more accurate and a lot cleaner. She shoots just fine out to 25 yards, for a short barrel.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.