Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: scritta paper

scritta paper

I brought a Bible home from work. A bunch of the paper in it was torn out, likely used to roll cigarettes and joints by the inmates. I pulled it from the trash as the chapel threw it away. It is made of what is called scritta paper. From what I've read that is a wood free uncoated paper made from cotton and linen.

Can that be used to paper patch bullets? I've never done this before other than trying regular notebook paper which does not seem to work.

Not tried it my self but have surely thought about it. The paper has a good feel to it and is tough. Determine the proper bullet diameter and try it; report on results. I have a large print, paper bound Bible that left out about 400 pages during printing. I believe it is printed on scritta and I may try it for patching.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Warewolf and vampire killing rounds too...

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Paper patching intrigues me , but I'm not there yet I'm still working on grease and gas checks out of a couple rifles . Good luck with your experiment .

The problem I had with the other paper was twisting the tail. I used this paper and that went fine. The paper measured .0014 so I took three turns on a 300 grain lee .453. I have not opened up my Lee sizer so it is still .457.

These are just my initial tries, depending on results I then go to refinement like the sizer die and alloy.

I figure if it works that same bullet cast with 1/20 should flatten out like a half dollar on a deer.

I did notice that my dog didn't come down as usual. HMM..........
    Last edited by armednfree; 10-20-2018 at 11:24 AM.

I would size that bullet to .448 or .449 and apply 2 wraps of this scritta paper. If you lick the patch before applying it, it will wrap tight and no need to size after patching. May not even need any sizing if patched dry. I find sizing the patched bullet tears the patch, deforms the bullet and is a pain.
    Last edited by Dan Cash; 10-21-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot no longer wrap with the tail wound under the bullet. leave 3/16" over hang on base and wrap bullet then fold base under it should leave a small bit of the bullets base showing in the center and a much flatter base to work with. I get better release with this wrapping than the til and the ball on the base dosnt damage the base when fired

I just cut the tails off and sized them after applying a small amount of case lube. They look perfect. Shooting will tell. Education in process. By the way, 4 inches at 100 yards is acceptable. I only worry about a rifle being as accurate as it needs to be, not necessarily as accurate as it can be.

I'm going to throttle these up right off the rip. 66 grains H335. If it can't handle those speeds then I probably will abandon it.

Quote Originally Posted by armednfree View Post

I'm going to throttle these up right off the rip. 66 grains H335. If it can't handle those speeds then I probably will abandon it.
    Holy scritta, bullet man! What are you shooting, .458 Win? I only use full throttle loads but yours says OUCH!!!

I would suggest you aim for a max of 1500-1600 fps with that bullet in your 1895 Marlin and let your patch extend to the beginning of the ogive if it will chamber that way. Having a case full of powder is not critical to success.

Also, check your receiver for a crack between the magazine tube and barrel before firing. Not unheard of with these rifles.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A lot no longer wrap with the tail wound under the bullet. leave 3/16" over hang on base and wrap bullet then fold base under it should leave a small bit of the bullets base showing in the center and a much flatter base to work with. I get better release with this wrapping than the til and the ball on the base dosnt damage the base when fired

YUP! This is the way I`ve been wrapping for 6 + years with very good results.Robert