WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Speedloader Training Video (ISP)

Boolit Master

Speedloader Training Video (ISP)

This popped up on YouTube and I got a kick out of it. I figured some of you might get a kick out of it too. I'll have to remember some of those tricks, lol. I might have to make a speedloader pouch like that for myself too. That's pretty nifty.

Indiana State Police speedloader training video circa 1988.

Banned
    Thanks for sharing.

I train with speedloaders and the technique in that video is not the technique I use but there's more than one way to get that job done.
    The technique in the video shows some influence from the FBI reloading method. It's also rare to see the reloads carried on the shooters weak side when using a revolver. Typically when using a speedloader and a DA revolver the speedloaders are carried on the strong side between the gun and the belt buckle.

It's interesting that the Illinois State Police adopted the 9mm pistol (S&W model 39) in 1967 but next door the Indiana State Police was still using the DA revolver in 1988.

Boolit Grand Master

That is the same technique I used and trained other LEO's to use. We used either the Safariland (pictured in the video) or HKS speed loaders. I could execute the reload in 1 second from an open pouch or 1 1/2 seconds from a closed snapped pouch. An LEO with minimal practice could execute the reload in about 3 seconds. We found this technique to be the fastest and was easily mastered.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    There's no doubt that a DA reload can be very fast when performed by a skilled operator.

I'm no Jerry Miculek ! but I'm no slouch either.

I like this video. Good information and technique. Very useful.
    I have both HKS and Safariland speedloaders available in quantity but have never really practiced with them.
    Jerry Miculek does his changes so fast you can't tell exactly what he is doing unless you slow the video down to a crawl.

Boolit Master
    Their standard of reloading in 5 seconds is ridiculous. We had to reload from a 12 round cartridge slide in under 4.5 seconds to qualify from my academy. Most could do it in 3 seconds, loading two at a time. Yeah I know old school, but we had to do 2-4-6-2 drills as well. Partial reloads went out of style with speedloaders I guess. My department stayed with issue S&W Model 66's until '92 when we went to Glocks in 40 S&W. We were free to carry other approved weapons until then, but everybody went through the academy with the revolvers and 12 round belt slides.

Banned
    I was taught the "FBI" reload technique many, many years ago but I no longer use it.
    I use a modification of the "Stress Fire" technique which is now so deeply ingrained in my muscle memory that I probably couldn't go back to the FBI method even if I wanted to.
    The FBI method where you put your two middle fingers of your weak hand through the "window" of the frame is the older method and was widely taught. It works and I'm not criticizing it. If it's safe - Do what works for you !

There was a time when speedloaders were considered to be competition devices only and many law enforcement agencies frowned upon their use. The FBI reload technique worked well when reloading individual cartridges. If you watch that video from the OP, you'll see the officer attempting to load individual cartridges from a dump pouch at the beginning of that video.
    When speedloaders were accepted for duty use, the old FBI technique held on and the speedloaders were simply incorporated into the existing technique. Again, nothing wrong with that but there are other techniques.

I've used just about every type of speedloader out there but I settled on the Safarilnd models years ago and never looked back.