RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Anybody ever take game with the 358-140-SWC?

Anybody ever take game with the 358-140-SWC?

Anybody ever hunt with the Lee 358-140-SWC, either large or small game?

It doesnt have a very large meplat, but I would think it would act similar to a wadcutter.

Thanks

~Bazoo

That Lee over 5g of 231 was my go to squirrel load out of an 8" Python hunter for many,many years. You could call your head shots out to some bragging yardage.

Boolit Master

Not sure if it was that particular boolit, but my late brother-in-law killed a large doe in his garden with a Charter Arms snubnose loaded with my wadcutter loads. He was actually trying to shot the dirt in front of the doe, but hit her in the neck. She went less than 40 yards.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

That is an accurate bullet. I have that mold I got second hand when I lived in GA. I rebuilt it and got it back casting and they shoot well. With shot placement I don't see why it wouldn't kill.

Correction.....Mine is the discontinued 150gr. SWC. Still accurate though.....Shot placement.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I used a lyman 160 swc in a 357 Herriot . Doe was in instant shock and fell over still ridged. 40 yards ti the lungs
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didnt choose the mould, I just happened into it a while back and have been working with it in the wifes 686. I dont plan to hunt with it specifically, but I figured itd be worth asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    That Lee over 5g of 231 was my go to squirrel load out of an 8" Python hunter for many,many years. You could call your head shots out to some bragging yardage.
    Shopdog, That is interesting info. Was that with special or magnum cases?

With the wifes 686, in special casings, I got some good results with 4.0 and 5.0 grains of HP38. At 15 yards, I got around an inch off the bench with the 5.0 grains. The 4.0, was probably more like a 1/2 size left to right, but was 1 1/2 vertical strung. I expect it was me. Im going to retest both of them.

~Bazoo

Bazoo,38 sp case.

The interesting part/s..... these 38 cases would always just be handfuls "grabbed" from a bucket with zero regard for head stamps or any other distiquishing feature.... grab N load. Next was the notion that firing shorter cases in the longer 357 chamber was something to be concerned with? Never was for this rig which has seen 15k or so worth of it.Chamber cleaning being accomplished with any decent cleaner and a bronze brush. Lube was/is 50-50 BW-Vaseline. Sized 358 as fast as an adjusted Lyman 450 can turn'm out.

All this is testament to how clean burning the load is.Noticably hotter than a "pure" BE,wadcutter load BTW.

Don't shoot that load in the Python anymore,it only sees a little use now with loads at starting 357 mag pressure. The above 38 Lee 140,5g 231 is used in a switch brrl,4/6" Colt DB, and a #14 Smith 6". More twds the Smith.

I started with mixed head stamps and didnt have anything worth mentioning. I sorted out 200 winchester cases, trimmed them for consistent crimp and tested again. Then I got those better groups.

Without a chronograph, 4.0 grains HP38 feels like normal 38 power, and the 5.0 grain load feels like a +P.

Wife and momma both says that they look like little crayons, ha.

Can anyone suggest to me a 357 magnum load with the 358-140-swc. I have IMR4227, AA9, and w296. I'm going to run them in the wife's 686.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I played with this boolit back in the 80's. never shot any thing with them , just plinking. I found that 12gr's of 2400 in a .357 and 4gr's of Bullseye in a .38 had the same POI at 25yards. Made it handie to be able to switch back and forth when plinking.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Master

Have shot many coons and possums with that load. Only hunted with that one time and did drop a turkey.

Thanks for the replies. I ain't got 2400 although I like it. It was one of the last powders to show back up around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Can anyone suggest to me a 357 magnum load with the 358-140-swc. I have IMR4227, AA9, and w296. I'm going to run them in the wife's 686.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Of the powders you list I think I would use AA 9. w296/H110 and imr 4227 I think need more pressure to burn right and that it may be more than the boolit can take. I havn't tryed AA9 but see it compaired to 2400 alot.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.