MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Compression tool/die

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Compression tool/die

I’m gearing up to load paper patched black powder loads. From what I have been reading I should have a compression tool/die to pack the powder before I seat the boolit. Where can I buy one? Are there different types? If so which type is the best? Any other advice?

Thanks

Banned

lots of good ways to do the wad/powder compression thing. i use a compression plug from BACO, screwed inside a lyman "M" die body.

Boolit Grand Master

I have them from BACO and have made my own. I usually make one modified for use in the seater die. Make a square ended p lug to fit the threads in your die of the appropriate length will work.

Another way is to make a dummy of your bullet up from Brass, aluminum, steel or fine grained hard wood. ( I prefer in that order). Make this ,oo5-.010 under sized case mouth dia.Get it very close and the same setting for seating will work for compression also.

Ill give the steps for 45 cal since you don't list what your loading;

A piece of 1/2" brass round stock turn to .445-.449 dia and form the same basic nose on the open end. Lathe is easiest but this can be done in drill press with files and sandpaper. form base end .080-.100 longer than needed and leave attached to stem polish surfaces. cut off and lightly square up flat end. Here a die shim of .030-.060 helps a lot ( it raises the crimp portion up). Compress a charge and measure it compared to what you need for bullet seating and remove that amount from bottom of die. This dummy bullet can then be used to compress powder charges with the same setting as seating the bullet in the seating die by adding the shim

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have them from BACO and have made my own. I usually make one modified for use in the seater die. Make a square ended p lug to fit the threads in your die of the appropriate length will work.

Another way is to make a dummy of your bullet up from Brass, aluminum, steel or fine grained hard wood. ( I prefer in that order). Make this ,oo5-.010 under sized case mouth dia.Get it very close and the same setting for seating will work for compression also.

Ill give the steps for 45 cal since you don't list what your loading;

A piece of 1/2" brass round stock turn to .445-.449 dia and form the same basic nose on the open end. Lathe is easiest but this can be done in drill press with files and sandpaper. form base end .080-.100 longer than needed and leave attached to stem polish surfaces. cut off and lightly square up flat end. Here a die shim of .030-.060 helps a lot ( it raises the crimp portion up). Compress a charge and measure it compared to what you need for bullet seating and remove that amount from bottom of die. This dummy bullet can then be used to compress powder charges with the same setting as seating the bullet in the seating die by adding the shim
    I’m lost. I’m loading.45-70. I don’t have access to a lathe currently, so I’ll use the drill press method. Half inch stock turned to .445-.449, ok. How is this to be used? I don’t understand about the shims etc.

I have case mouth flaring plugs from NOE. I should be able to cut off the stock, so it fits into the Lee case mouth flaring die that I use for those. That way I can adjust the die to adjust the depth.

Will this not work or am I missing something important that I don’t understand?

Banned

there are lots of good ways to add compression, and the easiest way is with a marked 7/16" dowel.

you have a PM from yesterday ...

Boolit Grand Master

The turned stock is for your bullet to be formed from. You form the bullets ogive on it and then cut to needed length. The shim is like the shim in 38spl 357 dies sets all it does is raise the die setting by its thickness to not crimp with out resetting the seater die.

For the lee die a 7/16 allen head cap screw may drop thru and the head fit into the die it then just needs the shank cut to length and the head cut down and maybe fit. Get a bolt long enough so no threads remain when the shank is cut down.