Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Christmas 2018. Lyman Gen 5 or RCBS Chargemaster or???

Boolit Grand Master

Christmas 2018. Lyman Gen 5 or RCBS Chargemaster or???

SWMBO has told me to pick the electronic powder measure of my choice for my Christmas present along with a tumbler or sonic system.

So which powder measure does everyone recommend? RCBS Chargemaster, Lyman Gen 5 or something else? How about a tumbler. I was thinking of trying a harbor freight one to see if I liked it before going a serious more expensive tumbler route. Or maybe a sonic is good enough?

My sweetie knows nothing about reloading and casting just that it keeps me occupied, lol
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Personally I like the RCBS charge master it has not failed me yet .I would go with a Rebel 17 steel pin tumbler for my brass. STM carries them . I had a Thumbler tumbler steel pin that worked fine as well .

USMC 77, USRA 79

I personally have the Lyman Gen5.. just love it!! Totally reliable!.. but when I purchased it, I could have gone either way with the chargmaster.. they are both very reliable, the RCBS could probably take a direct hit with a point blank 12g, but the Lyman gen 5 is lighter, and much smaller footprint on the reloading bench... I paid 200 bucks on sale for the gen 5, charge master lite will cost a bit more and is similar footprint. I love my Lyman though.... so I am Biased
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    FYI- If you buy from Brownells you can return the unit and get a refund if you are not happy... They have a very short warranty period.

Boolit Grand Master

Christmas 2018. Lyman Gen 5 or RCBS Chargemaster or???

Chargemaster has been around for a long time and is extremely reliable. You can adjust the settings if it’s not working how you want it to. I’ve found no need to mess w/ the factory settings but I could. Have not used the Lyman but I don’t buy anything w/ their name on it anymore. One bad customer service experience was all it took. Even though I have not been happy w/ every interaction I’ve had w/ RCBS CS you know they want to help you. Buy the Chargmaster, you won’t regret it.

I’m assuming you’re talking about a tumbler for SS media. I see no need for that method of cleaning. To much wasted time and shiny brass doesn’t shoot any better. I use an US on rifle brass in conjunction w/ a vibratory tumbler and the results are clean brass inside and out. They don’t look brand new but that doesn’t make them shoot any better.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I'm talking about a tumbler for Steel media or an ultrasonic.

Boolit Master
    My ChargeMaster and Model "B" are decades old. Totally reliable. RCBS's warranty is second to none. Parts for Thumbler's are available from aftermarket online sellers, besides the factory.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Yes, I'm talking about a tumbler for Steel media or an ultrasonic.
    If you’re buying an ultrasonic don’t buy one branded for reloading. You can buy unbranded ones on Amazon/eBay that have a larger capacity, more transducers and better heaters for less money. I did a short review of one on here. Don’t remember when but I need to follow up on it. I have brass ready to be cleaned.

Boolit Grand Master

Much difference between the Chargemaster Lite, Hornady or Lyman Gen6? All look similar to me although the Hornady and Lyman are $20-$30 cheaper.

I was thinking of either an Ultrasonic or a tumbler and was leaning towards trying a Harbor Freight cheapo to see if they work ok. I can get the dual cylinder one with coupon for about $40.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Much difference between the Chargemaster Lite, Hornady or Lyman Gen6? All look similar to me although the Hornady and Lyman are $20-$30 cheaper.

I was thinking of either an Ultrasonic or a tumbler and was leaning towards trying a Harbor Freight cheapo to see if they work ok. I can get the dual cylinder one with coupon for about $40.
    I have the Lyman DPS1200. Love it. Had it for about 10 years or so. Great for working up loads. I load a lot of SR4759 and 5744.

I also have the Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler. Love it also. Wish I had one when I first started reloading 35+ years ago. In hind sight I wish I had the big Frankford Arsenal unit. But I only clean 1000-1500 cases a year. So spreading over a few days doesn't matter much to me. IMHO I don't know why anyone would use a a tumbler and dry media. I haven't used mine since I bought the HF unit.

YMMV
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member