Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead roofing sheets

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    That purple color on top is typical of plain lead. Dross on top is oxides. Tin oxidases faster than lead so if you have tin you tend to get a gray dross. No tin, no antimony and just plain lead you get the rainbow dross on top.

The pea sized piece of wax will drive the tin oxide back into the melt as tin which helps avoid cooking the tin out. In addition to clearing the dross on top so you are not pouring bullets out of dross. I have a regular table spoon with the bowl sides sort of rolled up a bit and tapered toward the tip that I use to skim dross off my casting pot with. Got them from an old caster. I also use a plain wood stick cut from scrap wood to sort of crush the dross against the side of the pot or skim the top surface to collect the dross in one spot for wax pea or scooping out with spoon. In ingot sized batches I use a paint stir stick. I should mention I ladle cast so my Lee pot the top needs to be clear when I'm making bullets. Bottom pour pots can probably just drop in the pea sized piece of wax and maybe skim after adding ingots to get any debris out.

The non-stick will off gas and make bubbles, a build up of spray or grease (brown burned on residue) used in the muffin or bread pan will off gas. I don't worry about it. Eventually most will have all the material that is producing gas bubbles burned off. Doesn't hurt anything to have bubbles in the ingots.

I think there is a size limit on the picture files that can be uploaded. I have file shrinking software that is part of texting or emailing an image that I use to reduce the image size and quality by sending to myself so the file isn't as large when I upload it. Modern camera phones are taking pretty high resolution pictures so the files are pretty large. I shrink to 1024 x 768 & medium quality when I email to self before uploading.
    I’m going to have to try the paint mixing stick and see how that works. We got a bunch of snow here last night and today so will be a couple days before I get to trying it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Sheet Lead comes in 3 different grades: B - C - D but they all are 99.5 plus Pb
    Grade B - Grade C - Grade D

[4] Element - percent - percent percent - maximum - maximum - maximum

Lead.............. [1] 99.50 [1] 99.90 [1] 99.85

Antimony, tin and arsenic (total).. 0.002 - 0.002

Iron.............. .002 - .002

Bismuth........... [2] - .025 - .025

Zinc.............. .001 - .001

Copper............[3]. 040 to .080[3] .040 to .080

Silver............ .02 .020

Tellurium.........[2] .085 to .060

Thanks John Boy. I’m going to try casting the 45/70 hollow base with just the roofing lead and see how they turn out.

Pure lead ie any roofing lead (I’m a roofer get lots of the stuff fortunately I hav a guy that trades me for ww led and maybe some Lino type) is great for shotgun slugs and muzzle loaders but not so good for pistols and rifle as it’s to soft to hold their groves and leads up the barrel quickly of you can find a guy that makes cannon balls for fishing they love soft lead and may trade for harder stuff you really need

Boolit Master

you might save back a few small pieces for vice jaws, liners, vice grip "not screw it up" ers. I have found them very useful over the years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post
    Pure lead ie any roofing lead (I’m a roofer get lots of the stuff fortunately I hav a guy that trades me for ww led and maybe some Lino type) is great for shotgun slugs and muzzle loaders but not so good for pistols and rifle as it’s to soft to hold their groves and leads up the barrel quickly of you can find a guy that makes cannon balls for fishing they love soft lead and may trade for harder stuff you really need
    I’m casting using the Lee 405 hollow base for 1873 trapdoor. According to Wolf and a few others the bullet should be 20 to 1 lead/tin up to 40 to 1. I’m going to try the roof lead first then start mixing the tin in. I did some with some other lead but it wasn’t as pure as the company said it was and hoping this will work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    you might save back a few small pieces for vice jaws, liners, vice grip "not screw it up" ers. I have found them very useful over the years.

I’ve had some for years for that and kept a little of the lastest I got.

So this info is from my dad and one of his shooting buddies his friend has been casting and shooting longer than I have been alive hope it helps you in future endeavours Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0032467E-4664-4514-826A-D30597ECD204.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	230004

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post
    So this info is from my dad and one of his shooting buddies his friend has been casting and shooting longer than I have been alive hope it helps you in future endeavours Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0032467E-4664-4514-826A-D30597ECD204.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	230004

Thanks I saved that information.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast some muzzleloader conicals with the sheet lead I have pan lubed the entire bunch of tried loading into the muzzleloader. I could seat the bullet with my pinky. The rifling barely engaged the boolit. Any suggestions?

Its my buddies mold and I'm pretty sure he uses xray lead and he's never had a problem

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to the Affliction Fella's (Funeral Dirge) You are now well on your way to SAVING boat loads of Money !!!

Boolit Master

Luke - Sounds like you might have not gotten complete fillout of your mold. We have no idea of the mold or firearm though.

Boolit Buddy
    Its a lee double cavity and cva wolf

Boolit Buddy
    Its a hair bigger than a round ball lol idk what its called

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20181112_18_15_57_Pro.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	231151I think I uploaded a picture

Boolit Master

It looks like a LEE REAL (Rifling Engraved At Loading) and needs good fillout from the mold. Does your CVA have the inch or so of freebore at the muzzle? Ask your question in the Muzzle loading forum. You might get more responses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12