Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headed to Kodiak!

Might be a good way to get your bear by having him walking into your camp. Hopefully when you are wide awake!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    Might be a good way to get your bear by having him walking into your camp. Hopefully when you are wide awake!!!!
    My same thoughts especially the awake part, lol. Best of luck on your hunt!

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    awesome !!!!!!! good on you , I cannot wait for the stories....

Fantastic !! Be safe, have fun and we are waiting breathlessly to live vicariously through your pictures and story !

Boolit Master
    Wishing you the best for a great hunt.Just be careful that it does`nt turn out to be a"Guess who`es coming to dinner"thing.
    Good luck.Have fun. Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

LUCKY YOU !!!!!! Stay safe and waiting on pictures ..
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Fantastic !! Be safe, have fun and we are waiting breathlessly to live vicariously through your pictures and story !
    Ditto!
    luvtn

Cast Hunter

Unfortunately, my brown bear tag went unfilled. The only bear we saw in 8 days was a sow with 3 cubs at a distance. That being the case, my 45-70 didn't see any action. I did however take 3 Sitka blacktail bucks with my .338 Win mag (but with J-bullets). The buck below was the largest and taken at 228 yards. My hunting partner also took 2 bucks and a doe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kodiak buck3b.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	229826
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

USMC 77, USRA 79

Awwwwww, that deer is good meat though... if memory serves, you can still take a good brownie in the Mat Su.. a friend of mine took a nice 8 footer not to far from talkeetna with her 30-06 a few years back.. there are good brownies to be had.. one every 4 years in that neck of the woods if memory serves... you will get your bear, or you can take the run to Whittier and run out into Prince william sound... there are huge bears in copper river area... took this pic there about 5 years ago... on the copper river flats in the spring... and there is a spring hunt season.

Name:	4AC771B2-4E2C-48C6-A5AA-F993372A0901.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	229827

In the spring on the copper river flats, the big toad males hang around looking for females and are pretty common and easy to spot. Wayne woods guides those areas and lives near you in the Mat Su.. and is a real real good guy..he does a lot of hunts for wounded warriors and also lost his own son during the gulf war. A quality guy and guide. And a friend.

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Awwwwww, that deer is good meat though... if memory serves, you can still take a good brownie in the Mat Su.. a friend of mine took a nice 8 footer not to far from talkeetna with her 30-06 a few years back.. there are good brownies to be had.. one every 4 years in that neck of the woods if memory serves... you will get your bear, or you can take the run to Whittier and run out into Prince william sound... there are huge bears in copper river area... took this pic there about 5 years ago... on the copper river flats in the spring... and there is a spring hunt season.

Name:	4AC771B2-4E2C-48C6-A5AA-F993372A0901.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	229827

In the spring on the copper river flats, the big toad males hang around looking for females and are pretty common and easy to spot. Wayne woods guides those areas and lives near you in the Mat Su.. and is a real real good guy..he does a lot of hunts for wounded warriors and also lost his own son during the gulf war. A quality guy and guide. And a friend.

Marko
    Wow that bear is huge! We bait spring bear near Talkeetna in 16A. That area just went to 2 bear every year. There are some bigguns around there. We have a couple dandys on trail cam.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

Nice buck!

Boolit Master
    Success any way you look at it.

No such thing as an unsuccessful Alaskan hunt.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The worst thing about spending $25g for a bear hunt is not bringing home a bear! At least you saw some. Marko I'll trade you a whitail hunt for a guided Kodak hunt.lol

USMC 77, USRA 79

I am not a guide sir.. sorry. And somebody from outside the state must have a real guide. Although I am sure we would have a grand time!!!

RugerFan lives is a part of central Alaska, and can hunt anywhere is the state without guide and I know he will get his bear when the time is right!

Blessings
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

RugerFan, sorry you didn't get the big brown bear you were hunting. I have only seen pictures of Sitka deer, but from what I have seen, your buck seems enormous for the specie. I agree with the above post that says it looks like you had a successful hunt anyway. The .338 Win Mag hits hard and is an awesome cartridge. You did well. I'd venture to say that unlike a lot of us oldies here on the board, that you have many more successful hunts awaiting you. We look forward to hearing about them.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I am not a guide sir.. sorry. And somebody from outside the state must have a real guide. Although I am sure we would have a grand time!!!

RugerFan lives is a part of central Alaska, and can hunt anywhere is the state without guide and I know he will get his bear when the time is right!

Blessings
    Darn it!!! Worth a try.lol it's on top of my bucket list for a grizzly. My 375 RUM wants to bark!

Cast Hunter

I have been wanting to hunt Kodiak for deer for a looong time. Drawing the bear tag was the final straw in making it happen. Overall, I am very pleased with the results. I already have 3 grizzly, but that big brownie will have to wait. I did a rough green score on my rack and came out with a gross of 102 7/8". Deductions would bring it down into the mid-90s. A shame because B&C minimum is 100. I'll probably have it officially scored to be sure.

Now that I have some experience with the logistics involved, I hope to return to Kodiak for another go at venison. Going forward I now have a good spot for deer and the lack of bear there is comforting when you don't have the tag.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Bub
    Jealous! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12