Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bullets in a fire

Banned

yes it was. don't know how that would make a difference though.

Boolit Grand Master

Steel case is tougher and offers more resistance. I know that the primers fly harder and farther from a unchambered cartridge. I will try and test one this week for penetration and let you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Steel case is tougher and offers more resistance. I know that the primers fly harder and farther from a unchambered cartridge. I will try and test one this week for penetration and let you know.
    I don't think that will make a noticeable difference. The only thing I can think of is if a case at the middle of a heavy pile went off and there was enough around it to hold the case down allowing the bullet to fly out. But even then, I don't think it would penetrate steel, maybe the holes were already there and were not noticed until after the fire.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned

sorry the barn was less then 10 years old and didn't have a bunch of holes in wall. maybe cyborg mice came and ate perfectly round little holes in it before the metal cooled????
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I don't think that will make a noticeable difference. The only thing I can think of is if a case at the middle of a heavy pile went off and there was enough around it to hold the case down allowing the bullet to fly out. But even then, I don't think it would penetrate steel, maybe the holes were already there and were not noticed until after the fire.

Boolit Master
    Well, in case anyone wonders what happens when you put a shotgun shell on a stump and shoot said shell with a shotgun and a load if #8 shot wonder no longer. The primer comes back at the shooter in a rapid
    motion and the powder charge burns up. The shot charge stays where it is and the case mouth doesn't open. Of course, I only tried it once .......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I wonder if the roof steel was really hot, possibly white hot and very soft.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    That too is a possibility.

Speaking of dumb things, we used to wedge live .22 and shotgun shells into branches and shoot at them with bb guns. I'm surprised we didn't hurt ourselves with some of the stunts we pulled.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    actually saw it on myth busters they set different caliber ammo on fire with plywood around it a few feet away. no bullets but some of the brass stuck into the plywood mostly large caliber like 50 cal bmg. it didn't really penetrate but did stick into it. the bullet being heavier than the brass its the brass that moves.

Boolit Master
    When one is young one just has to try it and see...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Well, in case anyone wonders what happens when you put a shotgun shell on a stump and shoot said shell with a shotgun and a load if #8 shot wonder no longer. The primer comes back at the shooter in a rapid
    motion and the powder charge burns up. The shot charge stays where it is and the case mouth doesn't open. Of course, I only tried it once .......
    I believe you. Long ago one of my grandfather's friends for some reason decided to put a 12ga shell on a fence post and shoot it with a BB gun. He then had to go to the emergency room to have the primer surgically removed from his arm. It came back and penetrated his forearm, traveling up through his arm to his elbow, as I recall.

Banned

that's a possibility that I never thought of. I wasn't there to actually see the fire until it was almost out. I had gone to town to do banking and by the time I returned less then an hour later it was already a pile of rubble. Ammo was still cooking off but the walls (the little left of them) were already on the ground. Most of the walls and roof were actually melted. Had a 4 wheeler parked in there and all that was left of it was the frame crank and jug and some gears. The piston was even melted. Tried to recover as much lead as I could but built over it and poured a concrete floor and often wonder how much lead is still under that cement. I doubt I got half of what was there. You think smelting ww is bad try lead with gravel and sand impregnated in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-02-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Boolit Master

I believe it was in the Miami area that a loaded M1 carbine cooked off a few rounds in a house fire. It was lying on a shelf in a closet and the op rod cycled a few rounds. No one hurt and it's definitely an outlier.

From personal experience, if you're throwing empty cartridge boxes in a burn barrel and include a full box, 9mm FMJ doesn't penetrate the steel barrel.

Guns, ammo, powder, and primers were the least of my worries fighting fires. In fact, I didn't worry much about hazardous substances. Building construction, fire conditions, and getting lost/trapped are what will kill you.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    When one is young one just has to try it and see...
    Ever notice the words "young and dumb" just seem to go together?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Waaay back Lloyd Smale sez: "We did find pieces of pole barn steel that had holes in it from bullets cooking off....."
    GONRA finds it Extremely Difficult to believe these Are Real Live BULLET HOLES?
    Methinks its from some OTHER exploding consumer stuff? ???
    OR - from the original Pole Barn Construction Crew screwups? ???
    >>> One way or anoher - we'll Never Really No! <<<

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    that's a possibility that I never thought of. I wasn't there to actually see the fire until it was almost out. I had gone to town to do banking and by the time I returned less then an hour later it was already a pile of rubble. Ammo was still cooking off but the walls (the little left of them) were already on the ground. Most of the walls and roof were actually melted. Had a 4 wheeler parked in there and all that was left of it was the frame crank and jug and some gears. The piston was even melted. Tried to recover as much lead as I could but built over it and poured a concrete floor and often wonder how much lead is still under that cement. I doubt I got half of what was there. You think smelting ww is bad try lead with gravel and sand impregnated in it.
    Oh heck no, I know for a fact rocks and gravel hold moisture, that may not end well.
    ~Pericles~

Banned

Bill Cosby: "Who put the bullet in the furnace?" !

Anybody remember ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    You think smelting ww is bad try lead with gravel and sand impregnated in it.
    Been there, glass and aluminum too. The dross was excessive.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Primer can become the projectile. Comes out with enough force to go thru a t-shirt and lodge in the skin (that requires tweezers to pull out).
    Ask me how I know... :O)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123