MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullets in a fire

Boolit Buddy
    the above video says it all.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Friction fire! That’s funny!
    When I was with the local VFD that's exactly what we called some of the fires we fought. Some were also spontaneous combustion when the Insurance Policy was combined with the Mortgage.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    common practice in the military to burn off unused small arms ammo

Boolit Buddy
    But a firearm with a loaded round is another story.
    A firefighter in Cross City, Fl (which is near my house) was killed some years back by a loaded .22 rifle lying on a shelf in a blazing garden shed.

Banned

had a pole barn burn to the ground about 10 years ago. It was where I reloaded and all my ammo was stored. There was well over a 100k loaded rounds in there. It sounded like the forth of july. fire burned so hot some of the steal actually melted. We did find pieces of pole barn steel that had holes in it from bullets cooking off so if it will punch through that im sure it would not have much problem punching through your skin. I still find cooked off cases as far as 200 feet from the fire so even the case could hurt you. The fire fighters had no choice but to stand back and let it go because they didn't want to get near it and I don't blame them. When I built the new barn I made my loading room where I store ammo a bit safer. the walls are 8 inch poured reinforced concrete. At least if it happens again the fire fighters would be safe.

Boolit Grand Master

It's the difference of being hit with a 1# anvil or a 1# pillow. One can kill ya and the other get your attention.
    In a cook-off, the lighter weight piece is the one propelled.
    The density difference between a boolit and an empty case is huge, so the case takes flight.
    Granted if you're close enough, unprotected, and hit just in the right place, damage would occur, but that's a lot of variables.
    Lloyd because it's you saying so, I won't dispute what happened with the steel being penetrated, but all conditions must have been perfect for it to happen.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

When we invaded Iraq, we would torch all the ammo and blow in place the weapons because we had no way of securing the cache. Never seen any rounds go further than a few feet, and most of the projectiles were intact cases.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Our normal police was when we arrived at a "working fire", if the homeowner was present we would ask if here was anything in the house such as ammunition, etc. that we needed to be worried about. Nevertheless, I have been in fires where ammo did burn and I, personally gave it very little thought.

We once had a working fire where an old farm house with ballon framing was on fire. We got it knocked down but it had gotten in to the walls, and with the balloon framing, traveled up the walls. We had to tear lath and plaster off on both the first story and second to get to some of it and just as it was about to break through into the attic, we finally got it put out. After watching us for nearly two hours fight the fire, the homeowner walked over and said, "I probably should tell you that I have 5 pounds of black powder stored in the attic.". I have no idea if he was afraid he would get in trouble for having it stored in his house or what - but he got the lecture of his life for not informing us as it put all of us in danger.

We had a call for a house trailer fire one time and when we got there, the fire had originated in one end where th kitchen was. Two of us crawled in the side door and down the hl to the kitchen area whee you could plainly see it was going pretty well. I was on the tip and as we crawled through the door to the kitchen, we started hearing a number of what sounded like explosions. I had something hit me on the side of my air pack mask but we kept going and got the fire knocked down fairly quickly. After we had it all put out and were mopping up, the kitchen was pretty much charred but when I was looking for the origin of the fire, I noticed that charred parts of several of the cabinet doors were on the opposite side of the kitchen. It then became evident that the explosions and popping we had heard was canned goods in the cabinets that had become super heated and the cans blew. Enough force to take a portion of several of the doors off and put them on the other side of the room. It was the first time that I had ever run into that but I never forgot it and in training sessions, it would be recalled a number of times as lesson that ammunition, gunpowders, (smokeless will burn but
    BP will blow), solvents, etc are not the only things to be aware of. When we got back to the station and we were cleaning up our air packs and gear, I couldn't believe what I found on the side of my mask as well as in the tank holder - almost charred but recognizable remains of "baked beans".

Just be prudent in where and how you store things - ammunition, powders, solvents, flammable liquids, etc. Personally, I never cared what a person and when we got to the scene of a fire as we were concerned in getting it out, making sure that everyone was out of the house and that none of us got hurt. But if you do have such things stored in your house or outbuildings, and should have a fire, for goodness sake let the FD know when they arrive on the scene so they can take precautions.

Boolit Buddy
    Our substation burned down in 2006 there was about million rounds of 9mm in it brass cases were everywhere for a 100yd. around the building.

Boolit Master

I dug a primer out of my belly once, it was barly buried under the skin. This was working EMS and removing an injured person from a burning pickup. I had a standard uniform shirt on.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Banned

I would guess some of the projectiles went through the steel because that ammo was packed together and im sure some of the cases couldn't move. Bottom line is don't take it for granted that it cant kill you. If it punched through pole barn steel it could punch through you. Even the cases that ended up 200 feet away surely left at a pretty good clip. Odd thing is the cases that went the furtist were wolf 762x39 factor ammo. I wondered if the fact they seal the bullets in lacquer allowd them to build a bit more pressure. that was 10 years ago and even this summer I found a couple wolf cases REAL far from where the barn is.

Bottom line though is the small amount of steel that didn't actually melt had bullet holes in them and im not talking holes made by cases but 223 and 30 cal holes. When I got home the barn was about gone already but the fire cheif said he never saw a fire like that. he said the center of the fire was a white glow. It actually turned some of the sand floor to glass. Everything lead and aluminum was a puddle and probably 3/4s of the steel of the walls and stuff inside was GONE. melted!

Now there was AT LEAST 500lbs of powder, cases of primers and im afraid to guess how much loaded ammo but it surely was measured in 10s of thousands. There was 4 50cal ammo cans just of of loaded 5.56 and two more one full of 9s and one full of 40s and probably even more 45acps then that, 4 cases of wolf 762x39 and a lifetime supply of 22lr. then add in my bolt gun ammo and all the revolver ammo so it was probably an exceptional example. Ill say this without reservation there was more $ in loading gear and ammo lost then the cost of the barn and everything else in it. Just lucky it was summer and the vette was out in the driveway.

Learned two lessons. I still have lots of ammo but not near that much and my insurance only covered 15k in contents and I had that much in there even if I didn't count the gun stuff. Today I have 50k in content insurance. There was a shining star in that mess. First I ended up with a much better set up when the new barn went up. Second is when it happened the guys right here on this forum were unbelievable. I had probably a hundred boxes of loading gear and components sent to me by the members here. Some with a few boxes of bullets some with presses and even a star loader, a lyman casting pot and two rockchuckers and so much more I couldn't even list it all. Not one person would take a dime for it and about half of it came without even a return address by guys that weren't even looking for a thankyou. Even dillion came through and gave me a free 550. What other hobby in the world would have guys that don't even know you come through like that!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    It's the difference of being hit with a 1# anvil or a 1# pillow. One can kill ya and the other get your attention.
    In a cook-off, the lighter weight piece is the one propelled.
    The density difference between a boolit and an empty case is huge, so the case takes flight.
    Granted if you're close enough, unprotected, and hit just in the right place, damage would occur, but that's a lot of variables.
    Lloyd because it's you saying so, I won't dispute what happened with the steel being penetrated, but all conditions must have been perfect for it to happen.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-23-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I've seen my share of ammo burned. Not much danger if you are a little distance back.

One of my houses burned down a few yrs ago from a lighting strike. I was in Houston when the house burned. I had moved out of the house and rented it out. The first call I got was to inform me the house was on fire. Since I was a known reloader, the second call I got I was asked if I had ammo in the house since they could hear explosions. I told them that I had removed all the ammo when I moved and I figured they were hearing canned goods exploding.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

The NRA had a neat video of that some years back. After watching that, your mind should be at rest.

Now, I've witnessed two BIG ammunition fires in my lifetime and a pad of 8" projectiles going is not to be sneezed at so If you load for a M110 SP howitzer.....beware. I'd sure like to see the size of a mould for that projectile./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Bub
    I watched an ammo dump blow up in vietnam, took two days, ruined me for the 4th of July !!!!

Boolit Master

We had a fire in our reloading shed back in the 70s.
    None of the cases or bullets escaped thin metal tray they were stored in.
    There were some pretty deep dents in the thin metal but none of the materials escaped....dale

I found this article on the NRA/American Hunter website, https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...tches-on-fire/

It states what most everybody else is saying above. Brass shrapnel will fly about at times but typically not with sufficient velocity to penetrate a layer of cardboard. Bullets don't gain much velocity when cases explode, and they explode pretty randomly (i.e. not one big kaboom).

I think this article was in the American Rifleman magazine at some point, too, as I remember reading it at some point in the last several years

Boolit Master
    6-800 rounds of full house 44 mag ammo cooked off in the back of my car when it burned. No holes, not so much as a dent.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Some where in all the reading over the years I saw/read a story from the NRA? It was back 40 -50 years ago that i read it. Showed a photo of a .30-06 on a hot plate with a card box over it. The gist of it was it would not penetrate the box. Any one remember it...?

Banned

lots of the brass and bullets that I found furthest from the barn were wolf 762x39 and 556. Maybe they had more force because the bullets are lacquer sealed and built more pressure. Don't know what to tell the doubters. You can read what you want but cooked off ammo punched though my pole bar steel and brass and bullets were found 50 yards away. If it will punch through pole barn steel id have to think that you in the yard in a light shirt would be in trouble. You wouldn't get me or anyone with a lick of sense to stand close to 10k of ammo cooking off let alone the amount I had in that barn. Maybe too it being in close proximity to the powder burning white hot cooked it off faster then a camp ground fire would. I don't know. I do know I saw it with my own two eyes.

Boolit Master
    Since it was Wolf, might it have been steel cased ammo?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast