Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: neck sizer

Boolit Master

neck sizer

is a neck sizer die for the 45-70 worth it. all ways full lengh sized

Banned

for the most part with black powder loads, fire form the brass, and never resize the case. lubed bullets should just push in and if need be a Very slight taper crimp is used to hold 'em in place over the wad(s) and powder column. for new brass, a .460" straight expander will simulate fire formed brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    Guess it depends on what your shooting ,I do not use any sizer shooting paper patched in my 1874 C Sharps .My 530 grain boolits get seated by my thumb ! My Marlin 1895 got sized (minimal) and crimped for hunting and keeping OAL stable in a lever action . /Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Meacham bushing die with out the decap head. It allows for the neck only to be sized and to adjust the neck tension with different bushings. I use it for 45-70,45-90 and 40-65 by changing bushings as needed. I also have bushings for both bore riding paper patched bullets and grease grooved bullets. Neck sizing offers a way to fine tune loads the bushings even more so. One other plus to the bushings is they can size down to just what you want / need no sizing to small and expanding back up to size. This is less working of the brass.

The big drawback to neck sizing is at some point you will need to full length size since eventually the brass will get hard to load. The number of neck sizings will vary with rifles chamber, Load intensity / bullet weight. smokeless or black powder . Not a big thing but something to be aware of.

My loads are normally 0 neck tension. My bullets are .460 dia pan lubed with spg and cut out with a cake cutter measuring .465. I hand seat this onto the wad stack and then with the appropriate bushing size the case down around the bullet to size for size the only tension is the lube in the lube grooves being .005-.008 bigger when seated. Bullets stay in place but can be pulled easily with hand tension.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    I got so tired of off the shelf dies overworking brass that I made separate body die and neck die for both my 45/70 and my 45/75 - the 45/75 cases cut from 348 brass are thick in the neck but loaded fit my chamber neat so I just use a swage die on the neck after I load in case there is a little bulge from crimping or such just smooths things out if its needed - have to use a little roll crimp to turn the edge of the case neck in some or else it hangs up chambering.
    Body die just kisses the rear part of the case where it swells above the solid head - proly use that after about six reloads - it doesnt do much - just enough.
    Two thousands inch makes the difference from chambering slick and quick to a no go in my rifle.
    Same plan for the 45/70 but needed separate dies - case necks are much thinner

Boolit Master
    Do you have anything to check bullet run out of loaded ammo? I have neck size only dies by Buck Shot, Meacham and others and get a little more bullet run out than if I full length size.

Vendor Sponsor

Hey kokomokid, all,
    Food for thought...
    Necksized and expanded (if needed) cases
    Maybe, could be, how you choose the bullet, fit the bullet to the throat and a neck sized case, any small run-out gets addressed when the rounds get chambered. I count on it to help. I have a Bonanza run-out gauge.

Lining up in fired and unsized cases:
    It does not work when there is a lot of diameter difference between an unsized case and a small bullet.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Hey Chill, missed seeing you at the Creedmoor. Saturday 900 and 1000 was a real bear to shoot and Sunday was called off. My gun shoots well with a little run out if I cram it into the rifling but I need to wipe very clean when I do. If I jump the bullet a few thou then run out shows up. I shoot a tapered bullet to get enough powder in my 45-70. YMMV

Vendor Sponsor

Yup. The Creedmoor, Hunting got in the way. We were there only long enough to shoot the 3P.

Yes, I like to hard seat bullets about 0.050 to 0.100" depending on the chamber and bullet design.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I’ve read many times that tight case neck grip and a good crimp is a requirement for getting effecient powder burn and lower exteme spreads. Is this often mentioned advice incorrect or absolete?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    I’ve read many times that tight case neck grip and a good crimp is a requirement for getting effecient powder burn and lower exteme spreads. Is this often mentioned advice incorrect or absolete?
    I find that neck tension done correctly will give an advantage in both BPCR and BPTR. One of the best shooters I know anneals after each firing, sizes, expands same size as bullet and lets spring back be his neck tension. When you shoot BPTR you use so much powder that there is a lot of nasty left in the barrel to deal with.