WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you accept this?!

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Do you have a picture of this correctly done? I sent an email to the guy I have been working with on the return process. I'm fully expecting him to tell me to deal with it. I'd like to show him how it correctly should look staked.
    Here's the tool, it basically the center pin locates the outer ring which peens a ring around the bushing. The bushing should be a fairly tight fit to begin with which that one doesn't look to be. It almost looks like they used the tool, but because it was a loose fit they tried to fix it by using a punch.

Boolit Master

I'm betting they received a bushing that was too small, and instead of requesting a bigger one, they staked it, poorly. The before pic seems to show an oblong hole, with the firing pin off center, confirmed by the spent cases in the original thread. So they straightened the hammer out at least, but yea, I'd request an exchange. There us just no fixing that, economically anyway.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Just looking at the pics of that "repair" make me angry. This never should have happened. For any company to allow their techs to do this type of repair service is a complete outrage. For this to come from a company with a good reputation makes me suspect they farmed the job out-of-house. This type of service goes beyond improper. It's criminal. If this were my firearm I'd raise more noise about their work than they could stand. Worse still is that what has been done can't be un-done. There is no way to correct the damage they have done to your firearm. Get firm, even loud, but demand satisfaction to your standards. Rant off. Sorry for the energy burst but this cuts deep just to see it.

Notwithstanding cosmetics, that appears to be a
    new firing pin and new bushing w/much tighter
    channel/pin clearance.

Have you shot it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Notwithstanding cosmetics, that appears to be a
    new firing pin and new bushing w/much tighter
    channel/pin clearance.

Have you shot it yet?
    Shooting it is no longer the issue.

Bubba is alive and well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Obviously the warranty department is just full of parts changers not gunsmiths.
    Make the bushing on a lathe and install it with the proper tool and you would have been a happy guy.

Boolit Master

They must have sent it to Century Arms for repair!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Aside from the bad bushing job, what's up with the horrible grinding on the frame? Was the cylinder binding there before, or did they tweak the frame when doing the bushing punches?

To answer your question, no. Absolutely no way would I accept this.

Boolit Grand Master

A press fit is a simple thing to do and only requires you have the stock to make it on the new part. The hard part is measuring to know you have the true .001-.002 interference needed. On replacement parts this may be a problem as they are made for the production line. Im thinking that when removing the old bushing the edge was damaged and when cleaned up it was over sized. It probably would have been as easy to turn up a new bushing to fit as it was to do that heavy staking job. Ill bet that staking job raised a lot of metal around it as well as into the gap.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Keep the cylinder in and you won't see it. JK. How many of those criticizing this fix are knowledgeable machinist/mechanics? That may have been the only way to keep the new bushing in place, and while not exactly lookin' good to some, there may not have been a better method, and it don't really look all that bad (even, symmetrical positioning of stakes). One method may have been to heat the frame, which may damage the heat treat, and install a press fit bushing that has been cooled. Another method might have been to thread the OD of the bushing and the frame and screw the new bushing in place. Silver soldering, brazing, welding a new bushing in place? Prolly too much heat. I don't think there would have been a better fix and if the present fix isn't acceptable, you're next step would be sell the gun...
    I'm no machinist, just a lowly machine mechanic. I never needed to get anything hot for a press fit. Bearing races, bushings, etc. I put in the freezer. If it doesn't fit, doing this isn't the answer. That's the kind of garbage you do in your own garage as a last minute make it or break it.

Boolit Man
    Yup... Right before you weld it in. Lol

Vendor Sponsor

or JB weld it
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

You could do nearly as good a job with duct tape.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Yup. New gun or total replace. Maybe better off with a total refund and move on. How exciting, bet you can't wait to see how they will handle the next "FIX" you might have down the road. lol

Boolit Master

I would call back and complain, if they wouldn't swap out a new correctly made gun, that worked right, straight out of the box.

I would send a LETTER & PICTURE to every gun mag & every website out there.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    This looks like it was fixed by the "highly trained technician" with the foreighn accent who calls me and tells me my computer is not functioning and he can fix it.

Really? If that is an example of Taylor's warranty work, it has convinced me to never do business with them. Maybe they save money by contracting their warranty work out to a local junior high shop class?

It may well function now but what about down the road when you have put many K of rounds through it? You paid for a revolver that was supposed to be "right" and it wasn't. If they value your business and you being a customer, they ought to replace it with one that is built correctly - and THEY deal with their own supplier oer the quality of it. I have a number of Ubertis and they are all very good quality so they are capable of making them that way - if they want to. If it were mine, I would refuse it and request a full refund - then order through Uberti or Cimarron if they have the same model and see what shows up from them.

Well there might be a happy ending to this:

I sent some pretty in depth emails to the original person I was dealing with and they quickly agreed to an exchange. Scary enough the email contained this jewel in it...

"The bushing has been effectively staked by our gunsmith, as Uberti has authorized that method of repair. Our gunsmith also verified that he explained to you that this was going to be the method of repair for your firearm. The firearm was repaired as authorized by the manufacturer and the issue was corrected."

A) I find it scary that Uberti would approve of this.
    B) I never once spoke to anyone but this individual. So the gunsmith talking to me is complete BS.

I kindly replied stating that I never once spoke to the gunsmith nor would I ever approve of this repair and asked for proof of the gunsmith and I communicating. < This request was ignored strangely.

However he immediately suggested to replace my revolver with a new stainless steel one. I said I would not accept a new retractable firing pin model and only wanted a traditional "4 click" example.

This is where my luck comes in. It just so happens the ONLY new Uberti "4 click" stainless revolver coming in new from Uberti was a 4.75" barrel version in 45 Colt. I had had semi buyers remorse for going with the .357 magnum version over a 45 Colt so this actually works out great for me!

Banned

I bet firing that would leave marks on the cases. Absolutely unacceptable.

Any machinist or gunsmith could have easily made a correctly fitting part.

Frank-certified machinist.

Boolit Master

Yes, that would be acceptable if repaired by a blacksmith or a weld shop but not a gunsmith.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast