RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you accept this?!

Would you accept this?!

Please forgive me for posting this here but I wanted to because you guys helped me in this thread greatly! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...olver-any-clue

I sent the revolver back to Taylors for repair and FINALLY got it back. I asked what the hold up was and they were waiting on the part from Italy.

Now:

Before:

WOW! I can't say I care much for their workmanship.
    I realize it is under warranty, but that just doesn't look right to me. You might want to see if you can find a good gunsmith near you who can do that type of work.

Boolit Buddy
    That looks like some kind of MacGyver fix. Nah, it couldn't be because he doesn't like guns.

Boolit Master
    No!!!!!!!

Super Moderator

They staked the living heck out of it! It may be fixed now, but let's face it...your never gonna be happy with it. I certainly wouldn't be. It it was me, I would insist that they either replace the gun, or refund the money. Not cool...

Boolit Master
    Besides the 'workmanship' does it function better? Can't really tell from the picture but still seems to have alot of wiggle around that firing pin...it's more centered now but I'd also test it to see if the prob is genuinely resolved...and maybe give them a call...being overly and painfully calm considering the condition that frame is now in to see if they are willing to pull a mulligan and send you a new revolver...I say calm because your much more likely to get to a manager or someone who can make that approval if calm and gracious than if you give into the temptation to vent your understandable frustration here....if it doesn't work out call back and raise sand.

Good luck

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Besides the 'workmanship' does it function better? Can't really tell from the picture but still seems to have alot of wiggle around that firing pin...it's more centered now but I'd also test it to see if the prob is genuinely resolved...and maybe give them a call...being overly and painfully calm considering the condition that frame is now in to see if they are willing to pull a mulligan and send you a new revolver...I say calm because your much more likely to get to a manager or someone who can make that approval if calm and gracious than if you give into the temptation to vent your understandable frustration here....if it doesn't work out call back and raise sand.

Good luck

I agree there to me still looks like equally as much gap. Even if it functions 100%, my God...HOW can I ever live with how it looks?! Not to mention the decrease in value they have put on the revolver!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sick over this! This is a $600 revolver!

Boolit Master
    no way would I accept that,horrible workmanship

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I agree there to me still looks like equally as much gap. Even if it functions 100%, my God...HOW can I ever live with how it looks?! Not to mention the decrease in value they have put on the revolver!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sick over this! This is a $600 revolver!
    I've bought revolvers in terrible shape and used them as beater range toys...have one now that looks tighter than a bank vault but looks like Chewbacca and big foot had a baby....but I didn't pay much for it either.

I think even the best of shops let a quality review slip here and there but it's now an effort to come to common ground of understanding. Give them an honest chance to make it right and remember the guy you get on the phone and the guy after that and prob the third guy after that didn't do that to your gun so be gracious...I worked a call center job once and it's hard to catch an earful from someone you haven't offended, but someone with a level head on the phone- I'd go a million miles to help them out... escalate to my manager and managers manager to make sure it was right by the customer... hopefully they'll do the same

Boolit Grand Master

What hamfisted idiot fixed that? That should be a pressed fit, not staked. This isn’t an AR BCG. That needs to be replaced.

Boolit Grand Master

The worse part of this is there is no "coming back" from this fix. Those stakes are always going to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The worse part of this is there is no "coming back" from this fix. Those stakes are always going to be there.
    That leads me to wonder, if the problem is still there NOW WHAT? Gonna be hard to replace that bushing again...

Boolit Grand Master

I know absolutely nothing about firing pin bushing install, but that is not right. If that guy wasn't smart enough to make a press fit work, wouldn't it have been easier to thread it, and use loctite? That looks like the hardest way to do the job in least adequate manner.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep the cylinder in and you won't see it. JK. How many of those criticizing this fix are knowledgeable machinist/mechanics? That may have been the only way to keep the new bushing in place, and while not exactly lookin' good to some, there may not have been a better method, and it don't really look all that bad (even, symmetrical positioning of stakes). One method may have been to heat the frame, which may damage the heat treat, and install a press fit bushing that has been cooled. Another method might have been to thread the OD of the bushing and the frame and screw the new bushing in place. Silver soldering, brazing, welding a new bushing in place? Prolly too much heat. I don't think there would have been a better fix and if the present fix isn't acceptable, you're next step would be sell the gun...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    You might first see if fired cases will even rotate with the cylinder. If there is any resistance when the case rims strike the stakes, that should pretty much convince the warrantee folks the gun is not serviceable. I really can not see from the photos if the bushing is below the recoil shield or if the pins protrude above the recoil shield.

Probably best to just visit calmly with the folks and request a refund. Keep notes in case you need to prove the date purchased and returned the first time, and when received back in the present condition. Good luck and I hope they are reasonable to deal with. Dusty

Had better look at photos after posting. Wow, disregard most of my above comments.
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 10-18-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Master

The firing pin is off center in the first pic but seems to be centered in the second pic???? What is up with that? How does it shoot?

That looks terrible. They make a tool to stake a revolver firing pin bushing in place. You'd think someone who's calling themselves a gunsmith would have one or at least take the time to correctly fit the bushing and stake it without looking like a kid did it.

Super Moderator

Imagine trying to clean powder residue out of there? No way, no how. Unacceptable in my opinion, but I will always agree with a diplomatic approach...at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    That looks terrible. They make a tool to stake a revolver firing pin bushing in place. You'd think someone who's calling themselves a gunsmith would have one or at least take the time to correctly fit the bushing and stake it without looking like a kid did it.
    Do you have a picture of this correctly done? I sent an email to the guy I have been working with on the return process. I'm fully expecting him to tell me to deal with it. I'd like to show him how it correctly should look staked.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve had a firing pin bushing replaced before by S&W. These are press fit. I’ve never seen a FP bushing staked in this manner. But I’m not a gunsmith.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast