Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: 3rd Front Sight Tactical Shotgun Trip.

3rd Front Sight Tactical Shotgun Trip.

Guys, I am going to my 3rd Tactical Shotgun Class at Front Sight this next week. It is a 4 day class and after my last 2 day class in May I am confident I can survive 4 days pretty easily. Thanks to Hans Vang!!! 300 rounds of #8's 170 00's and 70 slugs is the round count for the 4 days.

Anyway the class consists of training from basic operation of the gun, to all kinds of shooting, and different ways to load, unload and keep the gun running.

You literally learn how to do everything you can do with a Tactical Shotgun, and even learn how to use your field gun for purposes other than shooting ducks.

Pretty pumped up about this and will report back about the experience when I get home next Friday.

Maybe I'll see some of you there?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    What's the gun?

Randy,

Sounds like fun to me! Enjoy your class and please post pics.

BB

bdicki: it is a Mossberg 500 20" with rifle sights. Magpul Furniture and a Vang Comped Barrel.

See pic.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

You’ll have a good time; learn all you can. Nice
    Looking scatter. The shot gun class I attended with Gabe Suarez was one of the best seminars I’ve ever been to. Two Days of running the trench trombone. Please post a write up when you get home. What magazine extension are you running on that Mossy?

Boolit Bub
    I used to have fun doing those sorts of shoots at work, lots of fun I especially loved hot loads and primary/alternate weapon drills, although I preferred it when they still called it primary/secondary drills.
    I've always seen a pistol as an oh **** weapon to cover your butt until you get something better.

Nagant: the mag tube is the standard long mag tube for M500/590's There is only two for the M500 series guns. Short for 18" bbls and Long for 20" bbls..

Here's a pic of my HD Gun with an 18" bbl and short mag tube for comparison.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    bdicki: it is a Mossberg 500 20" with rifle sights. Magpul Furniture and a Vang Comped Barrel.

See pic.

Randy
    That'll work.

Boolit Master
    I sure hope you get a lot out of the course, and have lots of fun too!

I look forward to your feedback.

I get emails almost daily from Front Sight pimping their wares. Even their killer deals and “free” courses are of no use to me with me being over 1500 miles away.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Lube: There was 5 people in my Class that were from Texas. 39 total. We had guys who were from Maryland, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and finally me from California. 2 Women and one 13 year old kid who out shot his father and most of the rest of the class. Some were in the 2 day class which just peeled off the 4 day class. The 5 guys from Texas drove in 2 trucks and stayed for 2 weeks and took several classes which is a better way to go for those that live farther out.

We even had an Alaska State Trooper in the class and he was the best there with no misses on the test.

I was in the 4 day and fired a total of 470 rounds. It was 250 #8's 170 00/000 and 50 slugs.

I had to use all Factory Loaded ammo and was not impressed with the Federal Law Enforcement Slugs I shot as they left a little to be desired in the accuracy department. I got one 2.5-3" group at 35 yards and threw the rest of my shots at that target willy nilly.

Fatigue and getting beat by a 7lb shotgun over 4 days was definitely a factor. Weather was absolutely beautiful. A little sore today but will be fine tomorrow.

I Graduated the class but didn't get the "Distinguished Grad" performance I was looking for which allows you to go to more Advanced Tactical classes which I want to attend. I dropped 28 points which was right at 80% and you need 90% or <13 for the DG.

I'll put some pics of my targets and me shooting around a barricade later. I have to work now.

Randy

OK here's some pics of my Buckshot patterns. I found that the ammo company shipped me a bunch of 000 buck instead of 00 and the patterns weren't as good with the 000.

My first shots with slugs at 35 yards were the best I shot this trip and the 3 shot group was right at 3"x 3" offhand. Others were much bigger. The black diamond is 3x3. The black squares are 1"

There were lots of guys who went prone or kneeling for this exercise but I'm not into laying in dirt first thing in the morning. In fact all attempts to get me to lay in the dirt failed and for those who did, it didn't make a whole lot of difference anyway except they were filthy for the rest of the day and I wasn't.

This class was a blast! The instructors were cool and knew exactly what they were teaching and I didn't see anyone in the class who was an *****. Most of the people in the class were 50+ with the exception of a few young guys like the AK Trooper and the Kid.

It should be noted that my last shots were fired on Thursday afternoon and whereas I was stiff and sore from 4 days of shooting I had no marks whatsoever on my shoulder. I was wearing a Tee Shirt and my Tactical Vest which is thin with no padding at all the whole time. It is Sunday morning now and I am totally recovered, and I even walked a Gun Show yesterday, about 2 miles total car to car.

Point being any of you can do this, and I have course certificates available for any of you who are interested.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-28-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    Lube: There was 5 people in my Class that were from Texas. 39 total. We had guys who were from Maryland, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and finally me from California. 2 Women and one 13 year old kid who out shot his father and most of the rest of the class. Some were in the 2 day class which just peeled off the 4 day class. The 5 guys from Texas drove in 2 trucks and stayed for 2 weeks and took several classes which is a better way to go for those that live farther out.

We even had an Alaska State Trooper in the class and he was the best there with no misses on the test....................................

Randy
    Randy, I apologize for not giving full disclosure. I don’t fly anymore due to severe back issues. 200 miles is the maximum driving distance for me as well. Even then I’m on my back for the next day or two after such a drive. I had to even miss my own brothers funeral in California last year.

Glad to hear you had a productive class. Sorry to hear that you didn’t get the rating needed for the next class. It’s just harder on us older guys.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 11-02-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Add
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

lube: I run into the same thing as you with my wife. She has back problems and can't be in the car for more than an hour so it limits our trip radius.

She can Fly so that becomes the preferred method of transporting her any distance. She had to Fly to Phoenix from Burbank and since the flight was only 45 minutes she did OK.

I don't know who decided that getting old was a good thing. I think they really needed to experience it for themselves before dumping it on us.

Randy

Boolit Master

lube: I run into the same thing as you with my wife. She has back problems and can't be in the car for more than an hour so it limits our trip radius.

She can Fly so that becomes the preferred method of transporting her any distance. She had to Fly to Phoenix from Burbank and since the flight was only 45 minutes she did OK.

I don't know who decided that getting old was a good thing. I think they really needed to experience it for themselves before dumping it on us.

Randy
    I'm still convinced that getting older is preferable to the alternative....................mmmmmm......can we have shotguns in Heaven???
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    How important is the shotgun choice in this class? Can one do well with a Rem 870 with the old smooth bore slug barrel (improved cylinder choke) with rifle sights?

Junk: You will do just fine with your 870. There is only one issue with the lifter getting in the way sometimes, but once you learn to avoid that you'll be fine. Rifle sights are a good thing for a Tactical Shotgun, they help with slug shots at longer distances. once you figure out Point of Aim,and Sight Picture for 35 and 50 yards you be able to make hits at will.

I would recommend actually sighting the gun in like a rifle before you go to the class, that way you won't have to lay in the dirt when you sight the gun in at the class,,,, because it will already be sighted in!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-03-2018 at 05:11 PM.