Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Different Double Barrel Question

A Different Double Barrel Question

I might come into possession of a Husqvarna 20. It is in excellent shape except for thin bluing.

I have read on line that these have 2 1/2" chambers. And it is difficult to get 2 1/2" chambers.

So could I buy 2 3/4 inch cheap target loads and cut off the fold crimp and shoot modified 2 3/4 shells?
    I would then roll crimp or glue an over wad card on the top of the shortened shell.

The limited load data I have for shotguns shows very little or no difference for 2 1/2 vs 2 3/4 1 oz of shot.

What are your thoughts? Let the comments fly.

You will need to dump some shot to roll crimp the shortened hull. Also you might have interference from the wad petals.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Check BPI short hull info to see what they have. I have some short hull info for 12 ga. but not sure what they publish, if any, for 20 ga.

Using wads with short cushion sections or going to old style cardboard/fiber wads will shorten your wad column too. Again BPI has info on traditional wad loads for 12 ga. but not sure about 20 ga.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Try to find the right wad to load short cut off shells if possible - so many different height wads are out there I'm shore you can put together a good fitting safe load . Do you load shot shells all ready ?

I currently reload for a .410. And its no problem. But its hard to beat the cost of 12 ga target loads.
    Last edited by Lostinidaho; 10-27-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Lost: BPI's Load guide "Loading shortened hulls" has load data for 12, 20 and 28ga. shells. 2 1/2" only in 20ga. with a roll crimp. These would require a start from scratch load not just reworking already loaded shells to have room for the crimp. Also the information is for Fiocchi hulls so it would take some extrapolation and caution when using a different brand of hull. Gp

Boolit Master
    For safety reasons I deleted a long post / try reaching out to Ballistic Products or Precision Reloading to ask for data on 2 1/2 loads .
    Last edited by toallmy; 10-27-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Safety

I appreciate all the replies, but what I was wondering if and how much difference is there between 2 3/4" and 2 1/2" loads.

In doing research on the Hodgdon website, I can fine the exact same loading for both 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 shells (powder, wad and shot).

I removed the fold crimp of two factory shells and there is room on top of the shot and petals for a overshot card (1/16" to 1/8")

The longest bird shot 2 3/4" shell I could find was 2 3/8". The fold crimp brings it to 2 3/4". So if you got rid of the fold crimp and replaced it with a overshot card, could a reasonably loaded 2 3/4" be shot in a 2 1/2" chamber?

I can get 25 shells of 12ga 7/8 oz #7 shot target loads for just over $5.00. On sale or with coupons I can get it for less than $5.

It would be hard to hand load for the same amount.

I would verify the chamber length before cutting the 2 3/4" shells.

BB

Lost: You need 5/16 at least 3/8ths is better above your overshot card for a proper roll crimp. It just doesn't work well most of the time to try and go the cheapest route. Gp

Lost,
    First up, as Bikerbeans suggested, check the chamber lengths first up. Not sure about your 'intended', but Euro makes will often stamp chamber lengths on the bottom of the barrel lugs, 70 (mm) being typical for a 2-3/4".
    After that, a good prowl through a couple of forum sections on Shotgunworld might also yield more bits to the puzzle.

As far as loads being the same for a 2-1/2 as a 2-3/4 with the same components; powder charge, wad and shot load, the rolled crimp may do the trick.. or possibly in a crimped load by compressing the wad. THAT, is going to have an unknown resulting difference in dynamics of the shot. I'd make no wagers on how and how much, but I sure wouldn't be comfortable with it.

You may well find a load FOR a 2-1/2 that pushes the same load with a different wad, or possibly powder. That would be my suggestion, IF indeed you have the shorter chambers.

Good luck

Nick

This is just my opinion and people will probably demand my head on a platter, but unless the forcing cone is very short I would just feed the Husquarna 2-3/4" shells and not worry about it one bit.
    Back in the seventies when 2-1/2" (65mm) guns were still common, European ammunition makers would make 67.5mm (2.66") shells for use in 65mm chambers. I very much doubt the last tenth of an inch would make much difference.

I shoot 3" shells in my 2-3/4" Beretta o/u all the time and sometimes 3-1/2" shells in my 2-3/4" Krieghoff - the latter has an extremely long (about two inches) forcing cone. Modern shotguns can take much higher pressures than what was once the norm and Husquarna guns were made from some of the best steel available.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Mold
    Yes, folk over here still shoot 67.5mm cases in 65mm [2.5 inch] chambers but these are factory loads designed for older shotguns thus low pressure. I suggest you determine the chamber length of your shotgun or get a gunsmith to do it.
    You would need to confirm the following for US law but under our proof testing your gun when new in the 1950's [my guess] would have been proofed to 740 bar if sold in UK. So a service pressure of around 480 bar [7000psi] would be about right. Hope this helps, take care.

Boolit Master

We took a 3/8 hole saw and cut into the crimp on a 2 9/16 16 ga. The gun, an A-5 Bowning would not eject a 2 3/4 shell. Firing takes the end off the case. the gun works fine. I have also known people who shaved off part of the plastic around the top of the shell, the crimped part goes out like the top wad. Use at your own descretion, its you and your own gun
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Bub
    That's an interesting sounding cut shell, I imagine it would work if the gun wasn't choked to tight.

Boolit Master
    You need to know the proof pressure of your double. Will be amoung the proof marks, google for a list. Many old doubles will split the stock in the wrist with modern loads. The wood is dry and relatively small surface area where mated to the action. I am not familar with the Husky so if it is a havily built gun there may be no issue, if small and light I would stay with low recoling shells, 7/8 at 8000/9000 cup in general. That said, I use rem game loads in my 2 9/16 chambered m12. The thickness of a plastic shell vs paper prevents issues, in general. Rst makes short shells for these old guns, that would be the best bet. Then reload using bpi 2 1/2 data. The old doubles are sweet but in general lightly built.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

As Cpt M mentioned it is probably some of the best steel in firearms. The gun is still made to working pressures steel and action wise. Are 2.5" shells and 2.75" shells reloaded on the same pressure platform? 10k or 11.5k, can't remember off the top of my head. The wood stock has nothing to do with actual working pressure of the action really. Though, it can be a concern, some stocks will split and some won't. If you are concerned with that then reload to the 7.5 to 9 K psi s. If you reload for the 2.5" you will probably need a lift kit for a reloader or make one. IMO though, I would just take the gun to a gunsmith and have him/her lengthen the chamber to 2.75 or even 3", I can't think off the top of my noodle what the limit psi K pressures for them. It is a simple procedure that shouldn't cost that much and you will solve a lot of headache. Heck if you read up on it a bit and rent a chambering tool you could probably do it yourself.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    I would check the proof level and the barrel thickness at the front of the chamber. If proof and steel thickness allow, rechamber to 2 3/4. Magtech brass shotshells are 2 1/2 for another approach, last forever, use different wads, old stack type, but probably lowest cost reloading for 2 1/2s.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not ream the chambers to the correct length?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast