RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hull trimming

Hull trimming

Hello to all. I freely admit to being a gadget freak and love to look through the reloading offers on E-bay. I just received my newest purchase today. It's a 12ga. hull trimmer from www.loadertools.com. the device is a three-D plastic print of a clamshell device and has a handy depth adjustment feature that lets you set the amount that you'd like to trim from very little to nearly an inch. It also uses regular one edge razor blades for the cutting edge. The few hulls I've trimmed with it, it worked very well. Check it out at their site or look at the offer on E-bay. I'm in no way affiliated with this merchant and am in no way offering this item for sale, just passing along information on a product I find useful. Gp

That actually looks like a nice tool.

It is one thing to design a tool to do a job. It is quite another to end up with something that is aesthetically pleasing as well.

This one looks good. And I do love the home brewed stuff.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I am too cheap for that!

I made my hull length gauges from 3/4" steel pipe. 12 ga. hulls slip nicely into 3/4" pipe so cut the pipe to correct length to remove the amount you want, label it and it never changes. I use a utility knife to make the cut. Quick and easy!

Not a criticism of the Loader Tool, just me being cheap.

Whatever turns your crank is what you should go with.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks a ton! I've been looking for a better trimmer. I used to use a razor knife, too slow. I've been using the BPI trim doctor II. What a hunk of junk. Right out of the box it didn't trim anywhere close. I ended up using O-rings as shims, and now have mine set so it takes off close to a 1/4". Then you have to pop out the bushing, use screwdriver to pick off the part you just cut off, put it back together, and do it again if you are trimming 3 1/2"s. That thing looks looks slick, and it's adjustable!

I have tried several "trimmers", but have also found the homemade plastic tube to be the best. Another issue is that some hulls tapper to thinner walls near end. You trim and you get hulls that are hard to crimp properly because walls are too thick.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    I have tried several "trimmers", but have also found the homemade plastic tube to be the best. Another issue is that some hulls tapper to thinner walls near end. You trim and you get hulls that are hard to crimp properly because walls are too thick.
    The tool for that is called a hull skiver.

Just how much time and money should one put in to a "dime a dozen" 12 ga hull? That said, I tried a skiver and threw it with sale of some other odds and ends when I decided it was worthless.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Hello to all. I freely admit to being a gadget freak and love to look through the reloading offers on E-bay. I just received my newest purchase today. It's a 12ga. hull trimmer from www.loadertools.com. the device is a three-D plastic print of a clamshell device and has a handy depth adjustment feature that lets you set the amount that you'd like to trim from very little to nearly an inch. It also uses regular one edge razor blades for the cutting edge. The few hulls I've trimmed with it, it worked very well. Check it out at their site or look at the offer on E-bay. I'm in no way affiliated with this merchant and am in no way offering this item for sale, just passing along information on a product I find useful. Gp
    GP

Does this work better than the Lyman easy trimmer?
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    Just how much time and money should one put in to a "dime a dozen" 12 ga hull? That said, I tried a skiver and threw it with sale of some other odds and ends when I decided it was worthless.
    I wouldn't spend any time on the cheap hulls. Trimming, skiving, roll crimping, etc. is for the rare and expensive stuff. 2 9/16" 16 gauge, maybe discontinued hulls like Activ, special slug loads, and so on.

Hi Scott. I have the Lyman EZ-Trim for both pistol and rifle but until now I was unaware there was one for shotgun hulls. I'll probably have to have one of those too. LOL I do have the BPI Trim Doctor II and yes it can be sort of a pain. I also have the 3D printed jigs that are used with the Harbor Freight 2" mini chop saw. Of the three I like this new trimmer the best. I would expect the hulls to get thicker as you trim down. I don't mind this as I roll crimp the shortened hulls anyway. Gp

Boolit Master

GP
    Let me check, I may have any extra easy trimmer
    I'll send you a picture, you can use for all sizes, just change the mandrel.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Sounds good Scott. I got an extra or two off of Ebay. You might be interested in. I'll PM you later. Gp

Boolit Bub
    I'd love something like that, be great for my roll crimp loads, I never get them quite even enough, close but never perfect.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for posting! Appears to be better than what is currently available and not very expensive.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I made a 10 gauge cutting jig out of a piece of oak and cut all my 10 gauge from 3 1/2" to 2 7/8" on a bandsaw . Last time I did it I cut I think 300 or 400 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

Great score. I got mine, and this one is a winner. Simple, compact, and adjustable.

Boolit Master
    The GAEP hull trimmer is the most durable an convenient I have used and it's available from Apex Ammunition* in Columbus, MS. The GAEP trimmer can be set up for drill press or manual use.

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.co...ding-equipment

*Apex no longer carries GAEP tools.

https://www.claygame.co.uk/gaep-case-trimmer-pd262
    Last edited by RMc; 08-05-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: update

Boolit Master

RMc

Those are bad ***...

Scott
    Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    gpidaho --- thanks for the info. sure looks like it does a clean cut. if I hadn't already made my homemade contraption, i'd be interested.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I wouldn't spend any time on the cheap hulls. Trimming, skiving, roll crimping, etc. is for the rare and expensive stuff. 2 9/16" 16 gauge, maybe discontinued hulls like Activ, special slug loads, and so on.
    For 12 gauge loads under 1.5 ounces fold crimp loads are the most convenient. When handloading heavy or specialty loads roll crimping becomes quite avantageous, providing the greatest load capacity for shell length. That is, a 2.75" roll crimped shell has the same loaded length and internal volume as a loaded 3" fold crimped cartridge of the same construction / basewad height.

Likewise, a 2.5" roll crimped shell has the same loaded length and internal volume as a loaded 2.75" fold crimped cartridge of the same construction / basewad height.
    Last edited by RMc; 10-26-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast