Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee 358-125-RF seating depth in 9mm Luger

Boolit Master

Lee 358-125-RF seating depth in 9mm Luger

I obtained one of the subject molds, and it casts a bullet (.3585-.3590) that is the right size for my 9mm with a .358 groove dia. bore. My question is seating depth for just enough crimp to remove the flare and maybe just a hint of crimp with an old Lyman seat/crimp die.

Looks like the seating depth is going to be either just above the crimp groove before the taper starts, which would allow using the crimp groove as a second small lube groove, or on the narrow band between the lube groove and the crimping groove. There's not much room for error in either location.

If you've loaded this bullet in 9mm, where did you seat it to, and what were your results? Thanks for your help.

Banned
    You need to seat it where your gun tells you---I know not the answer you want BUT all guns are a little different

Crimp is important, DON"T crimp any harder than it takes to keep the boolit from moving when you push a loaded boolit against your bench -- pull a boolit to make sure your not downsizing it in the loading process

My 2˘

Boolit Grand Master
    If you've loaded this bullet in 9mm, where did you seat it to, and what were your results? Thanks for your help.

In order for someone else's OAL to be of ANY help to you, their barrels would have had to be cut with the same identical reamer, ( NOT LIKELY ). The ramp angle, magazines , feed lips, etc all come into play. Way too many variables here.

People continue to ask for the OAL for a cast bullet round.
    The answer is... Whatever your gun tells the OAL is.

Ben

Boolit Master
    I seat at the crimp groove, and it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I don't recall exactly what OAL my Ruger 9e prefers when I use with the Lee 358-125-RF, but I do recall it wasn't at the crimp groove. Just assemble a some dummy rounds with various OAL and then do a plunk test with your gun, to find your OAL. Also, I don't crimp (beyond removing the bell), because the 9 headspaces off the case mouth.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 10-19-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I don't recall exactly what OAL my Ruger 9e prefers when I use with the Lee 358-125-RF, but I do recall it wasn't at the crimp groove. Just assemble a some dummy rounds with various OAL and then do a pluck test with your gun, to find your OAL. Also, I don't crimp (beyond removing the bell), because the 9 headspaces off the case mouth.
    What he said!
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Grand Master

Look in your reloading manual for the OAL of a jacketed bullet, prolly will be a RN. Seat a couple to that OAL and try the plunk test. I have used thousands of those bullets in my 9mms, 38 Specials, and 357 Magnum. For my 3, 9mm pistols 1.060" OAL has worked quite well. Do not "crimp", just use your taper crimp die to "deflare" the case (neck tension holds the bullet in place, not a crimp).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have tried that boolit with poor results. It requires a very deep seating-1.065"-to allow it to plunk, which in turn requires a reduction in powder charge. These days, I use the LEE 356-120 TC.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I've tried that bullet in 9mm, but always found the crimp groove exposed. I didn't like that. I found this boolit great in 38 spl though.

Boolit Master
    It can end up being a pretty short round. Usually 1.05 or 1.06 works. The case ends up swallowing the crimp groove if you want it to work in all 9mm guns. If your gun works OK with a longer OAL that might be better for you're particular firearm. I've loaded some up with the case mouth ending in the crimp groove and they can work fine if your guns throat allows it.

I dont remember the length, but we shoot it a several 9mm's seated to the top of the crimp groove and it works fine. BUT as was already stated you need to check it in your gun

For my CZ75 this bullet seated just deep enough to hide the crimp groove is what passed the plunk text. As for the amount of bullet in the case it is the same for this bullet as for the 147 grain Saeco 928.