RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
PBcastcoInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Remington XP 100

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Remington XP 100

What is going on with these guns? I was over on GB looking around and the prices are all over the place but there is no activity of any sort. Have they fallen out of favor or has the shooting world changed so much they are no longer relevant? Just curious. I own a couple of them and find them fun and accurate. Of course they are not an AR so I suppose that in itself is enough to relegate them to the junk pile. Oh well.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

I think it is mostly because of the TC Contender and similar weapons being available and the easy caliber changes that can be made with them.
    The XP100 is basically a small rifle and built much the same way. Caliber changes are not simple at all.
    They are quite accurate but so are the Contender pistols.

Boolit Master

Interest seems to wax and wane with different firearms.
    Contenders were hot items then the XP100 took over,then Encore and I'm thinking the interest in smacking steel animals may have slackened thus the interest in the guns used to do so.

Just a guess on my part you understand.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-18-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

Also now several others are producing them Savage comes to mind. The Savage is getting some great reviews and it has the easy barrel swap Savage is known for. Have a friend that just had a kelby action built up into a pistol. There is still a interest in long range pistol shooting in this area. Some are even going as far as 22 long rifle contenders at 200 yds.

Nobody shoots handgun silhouette matches any more. Rifles work better for most any other use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Nobody shoots handgun silhouette matches any more. Rifles work better for most any other use.
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I do.
    I try but can't find anybody else to do it with. Not many of us left out there.

Boolit Master
    I still shoot steel also
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

I'd love to have the old 7BR XP-100 I once had but never fired. I would kill deer with it. Trouble is, they are too expensive for me. Too bad building your own is verboten.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I also do, but not near as much as I want too.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Texas by God - Why would building your own be verboten? You can build your own (BP) Cannon, Shotgun, Rifle, or Handgun, at least in almost all states, last I heard.

Boolit Grand Master

100% machining your own action is legal, however, using a rifle action to do a handgun is not unless you get a SBR stamp.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    100% machining your own action is legal, however, using a rifle action to do a handgun is not unless you get a SBR stamp.
    I'm not sure what you mean with that statement. The XP 100 is a handgun and can be built into a rifle the last I knew, as long as it has a 16" barrel and 26" OAL. Years ago when I tried to shoot benchrest, a LOT of rifles were built on the XP 100 action since it is so short and very rigid because of being a true single shot action.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean with that statement. The XP 100 is a handgun and can be built into a rifle the last I knew, as long as it has a 16" barrel and 26" OAL. Years ago when I tried to shoot benchrest, a LOT of rifles were built on the XP 100 action since it is so short and very rigid because of being a true single shot action.
    Very true but you can't use the normally much cheaper to purchase used rifle action to do a pistol since it becomes a short barrel rifle in the eyes of the ATF. It was a reply to
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Texas by God - Why would building your own be verboten? You can build your own (BP) Cannon, Shotgun, Rifle, or Handgun, at least in almost all states, last I heard.

Boolit Master
    I always liked the idea of using the XP100 as the basis for a lightweight rifle.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Aah OK that makes sense, tho in many states SBRs are legal. I thought he'd been saying building your own handgun was verboten, period. I mean, in -Texas-? Seemed off and threw me Contenders are the same, building a rifle from a Contender Pistol action's OK, but if you intend to put a pistol length barrel on a Contender Rifle action, you'd best have the proper ATF Stamp in hand before you start that installation.

Thanks M-tecs- that is what I was referring to. We can't take an old Mauser and convert it to an inexpensive hunting or silhouette handgun. If an action is MANUFACTURED as a pistol it is legal. That is why the XP-100 was introduced BEFORE the m600 rifle.
    An XP100 R(repeater) would be the same thing as a shortened/ custom stocked as a pistol 98 Mauser- except in the eyes of the law. Yes, SBRs are legal if REGISTERED.