Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: WTB some die spacers

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

WTB some die spacers

WTB some die spacers to hold 7/8-14 dies off above the press; The ID needs to be able to slide over the 7/8-14 thread on reloading dies (No need to thread the inside, a slip fit is great) and since the dies lock rings are 1-3/16" flat to flat I'd like just over that, so 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" should be great? That way my wrench won't slip low when used on them. This will likely have to be someone with a mill, or more likely lathe; I can ask at a local Metal working group but figured I'd ask here first, as it's more likely people here are gun-friendly; Seattleites are not always Pro-2A. We can discuss in PMs as this isn't a discussion thread...

4 heights, for 38 Spl/357 Mag/357 Max, 44 Spl/Mag, and 45 ACP/45 Win Mag:
    0.125"
    0.135"
    0.30"
    0.45"

(Figured out this way - differences in cartridge heights:

38 Special 1.155 in (29.3 mm)
    357 Magnum 1.29 in (33 mm) 0.135
    357 Rem Maximum 1.605 in (40.8 mm) 0.45 0.315
    44 Special 1.16 in (29 mm)
    44 Magnum 1.285 in (32.6 mm) 0.125
    445 SuperMag 1.61 in (41 mm) 0.45 0.325
    45 ACP 0.898 in (22.8 mm)
    45 Win Mag 1.198 in (30.4 mm) 0.30

If that makes sense. More sensible to use one 0.45" spacer instead of needing 0.315 & 0.325 both!)

Boolit Master
    If ya do not get someone to help ya with making them. I have likely got some of the 38-357(.135) and the 44-.44M(.135) extras.

If not, I can likely get some from the local Ace Hardware store.

I have gone in there in the past with a micrometer & a caliper to measure thickness of their washers & occasionally can find some that are the right size. I have not looked for the other sizes,(.30 & .45) but I can if you do not find anyone to make them or supply them for ya.

Let me know if you do not get any PMs about this & I will go see what I can do.

G'Luck!

P.S. - I also have some machinist friends who I might be able to talk into doing it for you as well. Likely would not be a fast turnaround though as it would have to be done on their own time.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I believe that Redding sells a set of three spacers; two cover the .38 and .44 applications. https://www.redding-reloading.com/on...die-spacer-kit
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

I purchased a shim spacer set from Amazon for adjusting die height. My spacers are a smaller, thinner set. I Havent used them much yet , but wasnt ver expensive.

Mcmaster-Carr sells shim spacer sets for about $16 that contain 18 spacers from 0.001"-0.125" you could stack 3 shims to get your height and adjust crimp by adjusting shim height if necessary. (0.125, 0.090, 0.062, 0.048, 0.031, 0.025, 0.020, 0.015, 0.012, 0.010, 0.008-0.001)

I'm sure you could pick up some 0.125" spacers to limit the number of shims getting to 0.30 and 0.45 heights. Just another option.

Brad

Figured out this way - differences in cartridge heights:
    I know it’s not a discussion thread but if you just want a way to quickly adjust dies with precision, something like this would replace a drawer full of spacers.

Boolit Master
    Just go down and get some 7/8 sae grade 8 flat washers readjust your dies and use them

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The Redding set contains 0.125, 0.135, and 0.062 for reducing crimp / FL sizing to neck sizing I guess?

I found a local friend who'll do this, I'll have to go visit (he's some ways away) and we can do "Group Therapy" together. (That's where you shoot tight groups of holes in a paper target, for those who haven't heard this term's proper use )

The whole idea is to not have to re-adjust the dies - Set them once properly, cut the various cases to proper trim-to length, and the rest just works properly. ("It says here!" LOL)

So now I will have to find some stock to mail to him; That should do me. But maybe I'll want to get that 1/16" thick washer as that could be handy sometimes? And I'll order some RCBS die boxes to put those and a few other things in, so they have a home. (My case extractor needs a home, these could sit with it in there too.)

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    IIRC, I bought a set of shim washers from Midwy that would do the 38/357 and 44/44mag. Every once in a while I use them and they really weren't that expensive when compared to having someone make them.