Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Ramshot TAC compared to H4895

Boolit Buddy

Ramshot TAC compared to H4895

I can’t remember what led me to try TAC, but I have been using it for 223 for about 10 yrs, with the exception of Varget for SMK&STMK.

I have been using TAC experimenting with cast 223 and have run across several threads that point out H4895 / IMR 4895 as preferable. TAC is right next to those 2 in the burn rate tables, and the weights I seem to get best results with also align with thread comments.

Comparison feedback anyone?

Thank You
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Banned

maybe if you weighted every charge but if you don't the ball powder is going to be much more consistant. Especially I a small case like the 223. If you want a change of pace give ramshot exterminator a crack. I found it shot better in the 223s and use it for that and tac for the 308 sized cases.

Boolit Master
    I don't use cast bullets in .223, but as for comparing TAC and H4895, I've used a lot of each with full power jacketed bullet .223 loads for one bolt-action and a couple of Colt AR15s. Recently finished an eight-pound keg of TAC. Good powder for the purpose and flows well through measures, but I've generally seen slightly better accuracy with H4895. Granted, H4895 doesn't flow as smoothly through a measure as TAC does, but it's not as bad as some claim, at least in my Redding measure.

With cast bullets, the accuracy advantage of H4895 may not even be there, but I know H4895 is a good cast bullet powder in many cartridges. I've only used TAC for cast bullet loads in the 7.62x39. For .223 cast loads, I might try TAC and H4895, but I'd try at least one or two others as well. Good luck-

Boolit Master
    Tac is THE powder for my 350 Rem mag. I shoot a sierra 225gr gameking at 2800fps in 5/8" groups. With 4895 I can only get 2650fps and that is with a case so full of 4895 the bullets tend push out of the case although accuracy is good. Tac is more dense giving better velocity and good accuracy without pressure signs. It's the best performing powder I have found for the 350 Rem.

Boolit Master
    use tac for 223 and 308 jacketed loads good stuff, works well in 3030 with cast and jacketed

From the few lbs I have burned in various calibers TAC behaves better at higher pressure levels than 4895 . With reduced loads or minimum starting loads I've never gotten the accuracy from it till I've gotten the load up around the max level . I get that same thing happen with other ball powders similar to it like 2230 and H335 upper level loads they work great ,reduced not so much
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use TAC in my 223AI with good velocity and accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    I use TAC in my .358 Winchesters and love it. Getting 2600fps using a 200 grain bullet, 2500fps with the 225's and 2400pfs with the 250 grain round nose. Accuracy is superb and the data was chronographed on my "Chrony" chronographs. Data was supplied by an article in "Handloader Magazine". I used my Custom Remington 700 short action with a 22" barrel and also from my Ruger bolt action 77 Hawkeye with a 22" barrel. I did not try it in my rechambered 18.5" pump carbine yet but plan to in the near future.
    358 Win