Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 16ga roundball

Boolit Master

16ga roundball

Anybody loading .600 lee balls in the 16ga DR16 wads? Fixing to order a mold but thought I would seek some insite before hand.
    Shooting them in a M37,M12,AND M31 all choked mod. The DR16 measures .60 id, and I would load over 2028 or longshot to ,eh, 1350ish fps. Any thoughts?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I’ll eventually try roundballs in my 10 , 12 and 16 gauge guns . However I plan on using the same wads I use for other applications SP-10 , SP-12 , CB WAA12 , CB WAA16 and SP-16 . I try my best to use what I would call main stream stuff so for one thing it’s hopefully not as hard to come by .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I do however in 16 gauge applications use both of the Claybuster knockoff of the AA16 both the one ounce and 7/8 ounce . For a round ball application the 7/8 wad might work just a touch better as it has thing in the bottom to displace 1/8 ounce of shot so it would raise your roundball perhaps 1/8” causing you I would think to use less spacer wads .

Boolit Master
    So far for my 16 gauge loads about all I’ve used has been SR7625 and Unique . For slugs , Buckshot and birdshot .

Boolit Master
    So far for my 16 gauge loads about all I’ve used has been SR7625 and Unique . For slugs , Buckshot and birdshot .

Boolit Master
    I load the dr16 in herters with 7/8 or 1 oz. Of shot, so I keep binches of them.The waa16 requires some "filler". Works well in 2 1/2 cheddites and 7/8, go figgger???? It is stiff with no ridges inside, thought I would try the felt chair pad in 16mm. 2028 is very like unique. I shoot greendot in most 16ga loads.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    I've used .600" Lee balls in SG-16 wads. The round balls weigh 316 grains with my mix, just under 3/4 oz. I use powder charges meant for 1 oz lead shot. They shoot pretty good through a Remington smoothbore barrel with rifle sights, about 3-inch groups at 50 yards.

Boolit Master
    Sounds good , thank you both for input. I am going to order the mold and go from there. Im not looking for ultimate accura cy or velocity. Just an easy to load setup for goofing off and the occasional coyote or whitetail. The thread on the 690 rb using the chair pad felt to center the ball got me to wondering again.

I have a antique Whitney rolling block shotgun in 18 ga. I had Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co. Make me 10 lathe turned all brass hulls for it. A friend had some .600 dia round balls and loaded me some over 18 grs. Of Unique and 2 nitro cards, 2 fiber wads then the ball with a heavy patch and a over shot card wad. I needed a very light recoil load since I just had open heart surgery and can't shoot anything that kicks much. I made a crude homemade rear sight and it will group the balls in to about 3" @ 20 yards which is not to great but will serve for my intended purpose.
    I will post pics of the hog I intend to shoot with it in a couple weeks.

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    A good question is what is the gun choked?

It could open up a few options for what size ball to load and what wads might suit.
    I've had a lot of fun playing with RB, and looking at getting an in between size ball just for something else to play with.
    I had the most success with the size that most people find the worst, it's a trial and error game finding out what works for you and your gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob9863 View Post
    A good question is what is the gun choked?

It could open up a few options for what size ball to load and what wads might suit.
    I've had a lot of fun playing with RB, and looking at getting an in between size ball just for something else to play with.
    I had the most success with the size that most people find the worst, it's a trial and error game finding out what works for you and your gun.
    The original post says three guns all mod .

Boolit Bub
    Sorry missed that for some reason.

But I'd try a .615RB it will fit in a shot cup and won't need a patch and will go through the mod choke just fine.
    Last edited by Bob9863; 10-19-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    Good info, thanks. I am gonna get the lee .600, its inexpensive. Good to know that .615 would be good, I can use a paper crosspatch to make the lee "a bit bigger". Just looking for pocket loads for woods walks, multiple guns and single bead sighting equipment. By the by, good"enough" accuracy can be had from basic bead and smoothbore. I have gotten consistent 3inch 50yard groups with a m37 and lyman "pellet" slugs. That works for my needs.