RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Quick Trim

Boolit Master

Quick Trim

I'm glad I searched this forum before I pitched my quick trim dies. I had bought 7 calibers and both hand and drill cutters a couple a years ago but never used them. Last night I gave the 30-30
    die a try and that was not fun, some didn't trim at all, some were rough on the cut. I got so mad I had to walk away and rest the mind so I got on here and done my home work. My problem wasn't mentioned in what I read but I read between the lines and it seemed I should of got the lanolin case lube off before trimming so the case would not spin!! It dang sure worked better after the lube was wiped off.
    Aaron

strange, I have never wiped case lube off and never had a problem. even after forming 300bo from 223/556 cases. I put slight pressure from the ram and enough to keep the drill from going wild. as it trims, it acts like a self feeding tell it hits the length. maybe I am doing something wrong but it works for me.

Boolit Master
    If it’s not cutting case leingth is below the limit it can cut. I use lee cutter and case stud. I have done it manually but bought the drill attachment. Much faster if doing more than a few. I even got the adjustable lee three jaw chuck set up. Only thing about the lee cutter and case stud it’s not adjustable. You trim to minimum case leingth or what the case stud is made up for. All my brass have been trimmed very smooth with the lee cutter even a old rusted trimmer I found on the basement floor that was missing for 12 or more years. Iam really surprised it still cuts.very nice coat of rust on it from being on a damp floor. I haven’t tried lees trim dies yet there case stud works god for me. Just don’t except a custom size case leingth unless you special order it from lee. I like the adjustable case trimmers but there much more expensive. After I counted all the different lee case studs I have I could of bought a adjustable one . But I have been buying the lee case studs over time 20 years so a few bucks every couple years is no big deal. Don’t know about wiping off case lube first my brass trims fine with it on. But you are using lee trim dies so I don’t know how it would work

Boolit Master
    Bring back the zip-trim, remember, you pulled a string and trimmed your cases, another Lee wonder idea......okay all together now "BRING BACK THE ZIP TRIM" "BRING BACK THE ZIP TRIM"

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few Lee Quick trims. I have lots of Lee stuff, and like it very much, but the quick trim leaves me something to be desired. I would rather use the lee case lenght gage, and stud. Its a much better system.

Dave

Boolit Master
    lee gauge and cutter works for me .if its not cutting the case is short enough.

I like the quick trim dies but using a cordless screwdriver to drive the cutter with a shaft is about the only way to do quantities. Still the hand crank is fine for doing a batch of 25 or 50. I have done hundreds but I'm doing 50 a night so I can enjoy the process for several evenings. Savoring it like good cheese cake that you don't want to finish too quickly.

Trimming with those quick trim dies is one of those things where keeping a container of "needs trim" and a "trimmed" under the bench allows me to knock out a few when I don't feel like doing something else or just have a little bit of time. I have a lot of range p/u 38 special and I trim so crimp will be consistent. I just leave that trim die in most of the time with those two containers available to do a handful instead of wasting my time checking facebook or twitter or name you distraction of non-accomplishment.

WFT is great for shouldered rounds. Was loaned one for doing .223 cases and it was a whole different world of speed and productivity. Did have to size the case first in order to index off the shoulder but not a big deal to set up a sizing dies if you want to do a 1000 rounds.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Wife bought me one for Christmas a few years ago and I have one for every caliber I reload. I love it. Works great for me but I'm not shooting for long range precision or trimming 1,000 at a time either.

By far the easiest and most accurate trimmer I've tried
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    The Lee case length Gage's can be sort of adjustable for length if you don't mind a little effort. For a longer case length just add real thin shims between the pilot and the cutter, the trick here is finding super thin shims in a small enough diameter to fit in the case neck. For a shorter length you could very carefully remove a little off the end that goes through the primer hole, and the also use the shims to alter length. Now, I haven't done this since I have a Lyman trimmer, but if you could find the shims it would be possible. Just an idea that's been floating around in my head for a few years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    The Lee case length Gage's can be sort of adjustable for length if you don't mind a little effort. For a longer case length just add real thin shims between the pilot and the cutter, the trick here is finding super thin shims in a small enough diameter to fit in the case neck. For a shorter length you could very carefully remove a little off the end that goes through the primer hole, and the also use the shims to alter length. Now, I haven't done this since I have a Lyman trimmer, but if you could find the shims it would be possible. Just an idea that's been floating around in my head for a few years.
    Harbor Fright feeler gauges work good for that with hollow punches! I have several butchered sets of them I've used as precise shim stock on all manner of projects.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

I've a roll of half thou brass shim stock that I've used to make shims for my 22tcm cutter. Works good on that and the 300bo

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    One of my rifle quick trim dies did not hold the casing as tight as I thought it should. After contacting Lee, they said they said they changed from an internal O-ring to a pressed in plastic bushing. I asked if it is a bushing that I could press in and they said no. I sent the old one back and they sent it back upgraded. Not sure if it was the same die body I sent back, or a different one, since the one I sent back was in new condition. I don't wipe off excess lube and the die holds very tight now.

I also had some rifle brass I wanted to size longer than Lee's factory setting would allow for a different quick trim die mentioned above. I ordered a package of .005 shim washers from McMaster-Carr. Part number 91124A020. It is the thinnest steel one they carry. It now makes the trimmed length the range I want.

Here is the link https://www.mcmaster.com/91124A020

Boolit Buddy

I have been using the Quick Trim system for a few years now. I like it a lot. It is inexpensive, easy to set up, adjustable, and quite constant. However it is slow, fast enough for small quantities, but to slow for hundreds at a time.
    L.E.C.