Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holsters for carrying an N frame revolver?

Boolit Buddy

Holsters for carrying an N frame revolver?

I am in the process of purchasing a Smith and Wesson model 57 with a 6 inch barrel from another member of this great forum. I was planning on caring it around the farm for shooting targets of opportunity and varmints. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good holster? I was thinking about getting a vertical shoulder holster and was wondering if anybody had any experience carrying a large revolver in that type of rig. Any likes, dislikes or recommendations.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dpmsman; 10-17-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If on the hip, be prepared for it to bump and ride up on any seating surface. I went to 4” for general carry because of this. When hunting with a 6” I have some older leather my N frames ride in. Never had a shoulder or Alaska rig for a revolver but have a chest rig for my G20.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are referring to mine, I can check what the holster is. It is an old leather hip holster. Even back when I was 16 I carried my dads model 57-2 in that holster on the hip with a gun belt, no problems for hunting. The holster isn't for sale, but a good leather like the simply rugged pancake holsters work just fine. It would probably be too long to ride in a car though. That's were that 4" you wanted might be better.

Galco shoulder holsters are comfortable, and I enjoy wearing them. I have several. The 6" N-frame revolvers fit the VHS shoulder holsters.

I've had them all, or have them. Most of my Ns are 6"-61/2" guns. I have one of each in 83/8" to.
    The most comfortable and acessable holster I have found for 6"ers is Bianchi Cyclone 111 cross draw
    The 83/8" is a PIA to carry no matter what you put it in. If you are in the field with sole intent to
    hunt or shot your 57 a good quality hi ride - thumb break is nice. I don't like anything hanging and
    flapping on my side. I have a pancake but I don't like it that much. I just spent $100 on a Elpaso
    Saddelry carved and lined holster for a 6" N. I think it goes for close to $200, now that I have it I'm
    afraid to wear it in the brush and tear it up. There is no doubt a 4" is nicer to carry but I don't shot
    them as well as 6"ers. I only have 3, 4" Ns and they are NIBs - P&Rs, they ain't for shoot'n they are
    for the guy with a 6"NIB who must have a 4".

Boolit Master

N frame holsters

I carry my N frame revolvers in Milt Sparks 200AW holsters I have 3.5in. 4in. 5in. 6in. and 6.5inch S&W N frames There not cheap and it takes 6 to 9 months to get one , I buy the double lined version. They work well.

Boolit Buddy
    DPMS, I carry a 4" N frame in an old Bianchi X2100. It is handy and instead of having 40+ ounces pulling your pants south acts as a suspender to keep them in place. I'd look at shoulder holsters.

Boolit Master
    DPM -

Howdy!

Tried wearing my former 6” M-28 in a Bianchi shoulder holster, and did not care much for the whole rig.

DRM50 gave you good advice on the Cyclone 111 crossdraw. You can also wear it strong sided, and draw using a fwd muzzle rake that the holster would provide.

A Bianchi 5BHL is another good bread-N-butter holster for “N”s.

What I’ve been working on wearing out for years now, is a Bianchi#4001 “Cyclone II”; which is a great plastic and ballistic nylon holster. My application is a 4” custom heavy barrelled “N” frame .357Mag.

For concealed carry w/ the same 4” “N” frame mentioned above, I absolutely swear by my custom Ken Null ultra- high ride holster, that features a pronounced fwd muzzle rake ( worn on my art, strong side ). I use it w/ a vest or jacket, weather dependent.

For lighter summer wear, I’ve used a Bianchi “Pistol Pocket “designed for a M-19, and stretched-out to fit my
    “N”s. Used it to carry the gun in the mide small of my back, w/ any excEss barrel length oriented downwards towards or into my.....well..... you know. For both 6” and 5” barrelled “N” frames, I eventually wore a hole through my jeans where the muzzle wear point was. But, it worked unde even a light summer shirt.
    I have 2 of their Pistol Pockets thusly modified. They clip onto the belt.

Hope this helps.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    I agree with Drm50 and 357Mag, I have done extensive hiking using the Cyclone holster for my model 29 and find it comfortable.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    I agree with Drm50 and 357Mag, I have done extensive hiking using the Cyclone holster for my model 29 and find it comfortable.
    We all should have a party!

Been using the Bianchi 111 Cyclone holsters for all my N Frames (6" & 4" anyway), (L Frames as well). If I pick up a new to me Smith, and I don't currently have a holster that fits, I purchase a 111 Cyclone for it.

Very comfortable in the crossdraw when seated in the truck or 4-wheeler.
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Safariland has some - All with positive rake or neutral rake (i.e. muzzle backwards, or straight down); Personally I like negative rake (i.e. muzzle forward) as that lets me keep my wrist locked on drawing the weapon (I don't want to break my 1911 training, for revolver usage.)

So for revolvers I tend to get cross draw holsters in Leather that suit me; I've found some "two position" leather holsters, with thumb break, that work well for me, they're either neutral rake or negative rake depending on how you put the belt through them. I do like Thumb Break as retention of my revolver is good I'd hate to have a pricey S&W fall out somewhere in the boonies...

Boolit Grand Master
    My 8 3/8's M-29 rides in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster, but I had excellent service from an old Bucheimer Clark shoulder rig as well. I also like a cross draw rig for 6 inch revolvers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	229059
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

None of my choices are for concealment, I only carry Ns or Ks in the field. If I'm hunting with the
    gun the gun is not considered in the way. If you are engaged in doing chores and getting in and out
    of vehicles the 111 cyclone is best I've found. Only complaint I have about them is you have to do
    some stretching when they are new. They are built for standard guns. All my S&Ws have Target trigger & Hammer. You have to stretch hammer "strap" for Target Hammer.

Boolit Man
    Check out Mernickle Holsters. Top quality and outstanding service. I use one of their PS6-SA High Ride holsters to carry a Uberti Cattleman with 4.5" barrel, as well as a original Vaquero with 5.5" barrel. I use these same holsters both open carry and concealed. Holds both high and tight to body. Carries perfect and comfortable. Just make sure you wear a actual pistol belt. I wear a Crossbreed belt always.

Blacky

Boolit Grand Master

I just went and checked the holster, it says Bianchi 5BH.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, that gives me some options to look into.

Boolit Man
    I regularly carry a 4” 625 around the place. I have it in an el paso tom three persons rig with the strap and snap, not the fastest rig around but I’m not after speed i just wated good leather to carry it in and not lose it. it work but I would’nt mind trying a shoulder rig, have considered el paso’s tanker outfit just dont want to lay out that much cash to try something. I also sometimes carry a 5 1/2” redhawk 45 colt in an el paso thumb break that is a good holster and a heavy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky Montana View Post
    Check out Mernickle Holsters. Top quality and outstanding service. I use one of their PS6-SA High Ride holsters to carry a Uberti Cattleman with 4.5" barrel, as well as a original Vaquero with 5.5" barrel. I use these same holsters both open carry and concealed. Holds both high and tight to body. Carries perfect and comfortable. Just make sure you wear a actual pistol belt. I wear a Crossbreed belt always.

Blacky
    I learned that you need to wear the Holster on a dedicated belt just like he ^^^ said. I have a Mernickle Thumb Break for my S&W 696 and a Mernickle Belt to wear it on. Then you use belt keepers to hold in in place so it isn't sliding down your butt all day. I also have a Mernickle for my 5" SBH. That gun weighs 3 pounds and without the Belt Keepers it would be on the ground around my ankles in about 5 steps.

Note the belt Keepers in front and behind the holster itself.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Wearing suspenders on my pants keeps everything in place. Yeah, I know it makes you look old, but hey it works for me! Besides I am old and don't care what others may think.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Wearing suspenders on my pants keeps everything in place. Yeah, I know it makes you look old, but hey it works for me! Besides I am old and don't care what others may think.
    While I have never worn suspenders, I fully concur that the support system is as important as the holster, which is why a good belt is critical, whether trouser belt or separate pistol belt. Too often people scrimp in this area.

I prefer carrying a six inch N frame in El Paso Saddlery's M1942 holster, but recommending favorite holster to folks who aren't built like me is generally pointless. The best response to a holster query I ever read was, 'anyone who carries a handgun in a holster invariably ends of with a box of the ones which didn't work.'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elpasosaddlery_1942_tanker_photo-600x600.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast