Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would this be a good move....or regrettable. 44Mag -- 45 LC

Boolit Master

I've been loading .44MAG for COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING for my Chiropractor for 15+yrs. The load he favors is a 240gr RNFP over 5.5grs of TITEGROUP. The Patient who started him in CAS, loaded this load for him before I took over after that Friend/Patient passed.

It's a bit dirty, but that's what tumblers are for. It's accurate at 25yds in Revolver& 50yrds in Rifle. As a matter of fact I use the same load for plinking in my .44MAG Carbine.

I've also used 9.5grs UNIQUE under a 245grs KEITH Bullet for 25yd Target work.

I load std loads in .45COLT. It's a fun round, RUGER; load up/down, experiment. I load COWBOY LOADS, mild SWC paper loads, Heavy loads for the RUGERS.
    STD for COLT.

Isn't that why WE BUY NEW GUNS.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    As maturity dawned upon me, the notion of beating my hands all to flinders shooting magnum revolvers lost its luster. The 41s went down the road, and 90% of my magnum revolver shooting these days gets done with "standard-weight" cast SWCs running 900-1000 FPS. I have the same platform the OP spoke of--a blued Redhawk in 44 with 5.5" barrel, plus a S&W 629 Mountain Gun x 4". Lyman #429421 atop 8.0 to 9.0 grains of Unique and given a moderate roll crimp will provide the velocities mentioned above. In the Redhawk, these loads are quite docile; in the Mountain Gun these loads are more recoil than 44 Specials, but far less than SAAMI-spec full-snort 44 Magnum. 45 Colt (Ruger), 357 Magnum, and 327 Federal/32 H&R Magnum get the same loading regimen. A SWC running 1000 FPS is an effective and efficient harvester of game and varmints--just match the caliber diameter to the critter being pursued.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Yeah...I just looked up my WC mold...its a LEE 208gr DC #90334....however, when I look up that LEE part number today its been reassigned to a Quick Trim die for the 25-06. I think I purchased this mold new back in the early 90s.

I bought a RB .445" mold (Lyman...single cavity) just for it's handles off Ebay a while back. I was just going to use it for parts but I might try to cast a few and give them a go in the 44 over the winter. If I have to size them down to .430" I can do that too....but given the surface area where it touches bore...I don't think I'll need to as long as I can get the loaded round to chamber in the cylinder.

redhawk
    I hate Lee bullets with the ribs instead of grease grooves. I had one in 357 and my m27 shot them
    all over the place. I would like to get a Lyman or RCBS in 200gr range. I got on the list for one on
    the forum but sign up must be slow. If one of these molds hits classifieds it's gone in minutes.
    On the ball subject I do run them through 430 sizing die and Alox them. Probably unnessary at that
    speed shouldn't lead anyway. For grins I did some double ball loads. They aren't accurate for gallery
    shooting but on DA they can make you look like Munden on 2 liter bottles at close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I hate Lee bullets with the ribs instead of grease grooves. I had one in 357 and my m27 shot them
    all over the place. I would like to get a Lyman or RCBS in 200gr range. I got on the list for one on
    the forum but sign up must be slow. If one of these molds hits classifieds it's gone in minutes.
    On the ball subject I do run them through 430 sizing die and Alox them. Probably unnessary at that
    speed shouldn't lead anyway. For grins I did some double ball loads. They aren't accurate for gallery
    shooting but on DA they can make you look like Munden on 2 liter bottles at close range.
    Thanx for the info on your RB method. The 208gr WC was a grease grove boolit. It is a rather shallow groove though...but it would hold enough lube to be effective for speeds in the 650-800fps range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	429-208-WC_2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	229045

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I've had that LEE WC mold for 30+yrs.
    Cast of 20/1 over 6.0grs of UNIQUE, makes a light, accurate & pleasant load.
    Every time I see one on flea-bay, I always get out bid.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Just want some opinions. I have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag 5.5" barrel blued with Pachmayr grips.

I'm starting to feel some arthritis in my hands and was thinking of trading it in for another big bore but with a bit less recoil. I thought of the 45 LC.

Any thoughts on doing this...Anyone else ever make this switch. I would likely get another Redhawk.

redhawk
    No doubt you should buy another revolver but, getting rid of the .44 would be a mistake.

Boolit Grand Master

The 44 can be loaded down to comfortable levels or even 44 spl loads used. Another recoil reducing technique is to go to a lighter bullet instead of the240-270 grn most favor work up a light load using 180-200 grn bullets that fill a lot of the case like the above wadcutter does. You still have good load density but with a much lighter powder charge and lighter bullet.

Boolit Master
    I say get rid of that Redhawk and get a real gun, like a .45LC.

Box up the Redhawk and send it to my address. I will take good care of it for you, shooting light loads in it all day long.

ROFLMAO I do like to crack myself up.

PS 20 years ago I wore out my wrists with hot .45LC in a Ruger BH. I have since gone to lighter recoil guns. 9mm, light .38 loads in my .357, .223 and .308 heavy barrel rifles.

Boolit Master
    I would simply load the 44 Mag to whatever I found comfortable, if you like the accuracy of your current revolver. It seems to be easier to find accurate 44 Mags than 45 Colts due to the wide variances of chamber throats on the many different 45 Colts. If there is a certain 45 Colt you like, you should give it a try. Then there are the 45 ACP revolvers?

Boolit Master

I think if you're looking to dial down the pain factor, a .44's smaller case will prove superior.

My Dad's got a few osteo-arthritis issues that we've been having to ponder work-arounds for; light loads for the handguns, 1911 in 9mm, that sort of thing. . . There's DARN little that a .357 can't do. . .and they HAVE made Redhawks in it - are currently doing a couple of 8-shot models in fact: https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5060.html . The cool thing there is that it's the same external size as the big-bore versions, but with smaller holes drilled in it - -more weight / less recoil.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Just want some opinions. I have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag 5.5" barrel blued with Pachmayr grips.

I'm starting to feel some arthritis in my hands and was thinking of trading it in for another big bore but with a bit less recoil. I thought of the 45 LC.

Any thoughts on doing this...Anyone else ever make this switch. I would likely get another Redhawk.

redhawk
    I see no reason to switch to a 45 Colt if you are already set up for 44 Mag. Either a lightly loaded 44 mag or any loading of 44 special would probably serve you well in any endeavor you choose to partake in.

If you want something real soft shooting, just load up some 44 specials with Trail Boss.

Boolit Master
    I love my .45 Colt, but I'd not swap a good .44 for one. I always figured if I had a good .44 Mag, it'd see a lot of 250K's or something close at 1000fps. Been loading 429421's over 8 grains of Unique for a friend's .44 Redhawk. He says it shoots better than he can (I've never shot it, oddly), undersized bullets and all.
    FWIW, a .45 Colt, in a give frame size, will likely kick marginally harder than a .44 with apples-to-apples loads, as the .45 will be lighter, given the larger holes. Whether or not it's enough to matter is subjective.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used both in a Super Blackhawk 44Mag and a similar barrel length 45LC. I found the 45LC much more pleasant to shoot with recoil more of a "push" than a hard "snap". I'd recommend anyone make the change if they have wrist or hand problems and I can say after shooting both I've had little interest in returning to the 44Mag as I can't think of what I could do with that caliber that cast handloads in 45LC could not accomplish.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    I found that a larger grip that fits your hand comfortably helps.

44 - 45 is like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge argument

Boolit Master
    you already own the .44mag and dies and mold. and you already have it set up for your hands. just lighten up on the powder charge and be happy and money ahead.
    Last edited by bob208; 10-22-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    you already own the .44mag and dies and mold. and you already have it set up for your hands. just lighten up on the powser charge and be happy and money ahead.
    Yes...this is now my plan....I'm keeping the Redhawk for sure.

Regarding the 38 loads discussed earlier on this page...i just purchased a Lyman 35891 WC mold (148gr). I think I'll give it a try with the snubby 38 this winter. Looking forward to pretty round holes in the paper.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I've got that mold, Redhawk. Great boolit and all of my revolvers like it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I have found that my sweet spot for a lighter recoiling load for my 44's is 16.6 grs of 2400 and a 429421 Lyman SWC. It goes 1225 from my 9" SRH but it would be closer to 1075-1125 from your 5.5" gun. I have shot quite a few deer with this load and it penetrates into the next zip code without very much meat destruction. I use std cci primers and I have never seen a 44 that didn't shoot it accurately as long as I did my part.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned

have to agree. Ive had probably at least 2 dozen of each through the years and have allways had better luck finding accuracy with the 44s. Especially with lighter loads. If your loading up to t-rex levels the 45 has a slight advantage SLIGHT. but that's about like saying the 280 is better then the 270. I chuckle at the 45 fan boys sometime. They want you to think unless you have a 45 and extoll its virtues over 44 that are more imagined then real world noticeable. If you don't reload theres not question. The 45 about gives you light only unless you spend big bucks on something like buffalo bore ammo. the 44 even with mag level factory ammo is cheaper and you have the option of 44 specials if you want light and 44mag ammo can be bought about anywhere and with many more choices in bullets ect. I like and shoot them both but if I had sell all of one caliber the 44s would still be in the safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I will be blunt....it would be a foolish decision. I had no problems getting accurate light reloads out of my .44 Mag. IMHO the .44 Mag is the best big bore revolver caliber available. Many good bullets for it and about as much recoil as most people can handle when loaded hot...yet retains accuracy even with lighter loads. And if for some reason someone is forced to buy factory ammo, it is widely available in both the Mag and Special loadings.

Boolit Master
    Remington used to sell a .44 Mag light load consisting of a 240 grain lead SWC at ~1000 fps. That was a good load, and I like to duplicate it with the Keith bullet. For those type of loads I basically use the same powder charge I would use in .45 Colt with its Keith bullet.

I have a Redhawk in .45 Colt, and prefer it over the same gun in .44 Mag. But I like my .44 Mags too. If you like yours, I see no reason to send it down the road.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast