MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: This a decent price for 31 peices of pewter?

Boolit Buddy

This a decent price for 31 peices of pewter?

Have somebody local with 31 peices pf pewter, willing to take $45. Worth it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00x0x_gxET796hZn9_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	229013

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    If it's more than 5# of pewter ..... yes.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Buy it...you have way more than 12 lbs there...without seeing all the hallmarks...it's hard to tell...but it would be worth the gamble for only $45.

Not sure about that decco tea set...look that one over closely.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Any idea of the weight? Most guys here won't pay over $4lb but pewter sells for $20lb at Roto Metals It looks like a good deal to me. Check the hallmarks but it looks like between 10-12lb if it's all real.

Boolit Buddy
    He gave me all the Hallmarks. Going to call him and go look at it and possibly buy it this evening. He sent me this as far as info, 4 octagon napkin rings, 4 round napkin rings, 5--3" goblets by Revere, 8--4 1/2" goblets by Federal, 2--6" goblets, 3--6 3/4" goblets by Oneida, 1--7 3/4" goblet by Preisner and tea pot,creamer, sugar and tray.

Boolit Master
    Every ounce of average weight for the whole lot is almost two pounds of pewter. The napkin rings may only be an ounce or two (though they look heavier than the ones I've seen), but you have the larger items to compensate. An average weight of 6 ounces would get you under 4 dollars a pound, a good deal, 8 ounces would be under 3 dollars, a very good deal, and even a 4 and 1/2 ounce average would be under 5 dollars an ounce, still a very acceptable price. It's a good bet that the average weight is in a good range for a bargain price per pound.

Boolit Master
    Do you have a digital postal scale? Mine will do 55lbs and when it's less than 12 lbs will weigh to 1/10 ounce. Got it as a discontinued model for $12.50 shipped. Uses C batteries. Takes all the guess work out. But some folks don't like the thought of you melting their heirlooms.

As long as the tea set is good it's a great buy. Without them it's a close call. If you add it to your eagle haul your doing well.

Boolit Buddy
    Got this set. Evrything marked pewter except the 3 tea pot looking things. Made in Japan, Hallmark photo below.They sound similar...no ringing, more of a dull sound when tapped with a metal object. Soft, I can bend them with my hand even though they are beefy. Passed the shave test too....shaved a little sliver of metal off the top without much effort. Thoughts? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181017_195852.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	229042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181017_200013.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	229043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181017_200114.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	229044

I'm not sure about that tea set. It doesn't look like pewter...it looks like a plated white metal...but hard to say...without a "pewter" stamp on it...I'd leave it out of the melt for sure.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I'm not sure about that tea set. It doesn't look like pewter...it looks like a plated white metal...but hard to say...without a "pewter" stamp on it...I'd leave it out of the melt for sure.

redhawk
    I was thinking the same thing. I have a decent amount, prob around 22-25lbs from the last 3-4 days of hunting for it. That's all confirmed pewter. I'd hate to risk messing it up with some junk alloy.

Boolit Master
    Does it crackle when you bend it?? If you can bend it's probably pewter, if it crackles it's pewter for sure. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    That tea pot looks Aluminum to me. Hit it with a propane torch see if it melts

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 ga View Post
    Does it crackle when you bend it?? If you can bend it's probably pewter, if it crackles it's pewter for sure. 10
    It makes a cracking sound, about like a cup of ice when you pour drink over the cubes. Could this be pewter with some additional alloy mixed or just different amounts of tin, etc? Color is slightly different than most of my other pewter items. More of a dull whitish color....as opposed to dull to shiny silver/gray.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    That tea pot looks Aluminum to me. Hit it with a propane torch see if it melts
    It did. Even flared up slightly, lol. Didn't take but about 5 seconds of direct flame on it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181018_223512.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	229083
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181018_223526.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	229084

Melt the hallmarked pewter to just molten state so less than 550* if you have a thermometer. Then dip the suspect piece in. Should just about disappear from being stuck into molten pewter. If it doesn't it isn't pewter but some other alloy. Melt it separate and send a little BB sized piece to BNE along with a pound of lead and he will XRF test it for you. Actually send 2# of lead and have him test BB sized sample from both the hallmarked and mystery batch.

But yeah it really stinks bad when you contaminate several pounds of pewter with say a zinc handle. Don't ask how I know, I don't want to talk about it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a good score! You've been on a roll lately with your Pewter scores and the wheel weights you recently posted about. Congratulations!

Boolit Master
    I kinda wish I lived where he lives

Not too close, of course; don't want to poach on another brother caster's territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    If it's more than 5# of pewter ..... yes.
    Easy there, big spender. That would still be $9 a pound. I keep mine to $3 or less.