Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: .41 Magnum - 265gn boolits/C.O.A.L. question?

.41 Magnum - 265gn boolits/C.O.A.L. question?

For the .41 Mag experts, ...

I've got a box of Cast Performance's 265gn WLNGC boolits to load, but am not sure what the COAL should be.

Load books are showing COALs for 265gn boolits like 1.707 and 1.650 or 1.660.

However, I also have a box of Grizzley Cartridge Co.'s .41 Mag ammo loaded with that same C.P. 265gn boolit.

Took my calipers to these rounds, and their OAL averaged right around 1.550. The 'box-flap' velocity is specified as 1400 fps. I'm not intending to load these boolits that hot. I just wanted to shoot some heavy-weights at mild, 'plinker' velocities on some old bowling pins I've got.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 10-17-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    Underneath our starry, starry flag,
    We civilized 'em with a Krag.

Boolit Man
    Nick,

It was not the bullet you are stating but close in weight. It fit well and shot well in my Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag. Bullet profile was a 255gr WFNGC LBT style that was graciously sent to me by Osteodoc08. The OAL of 1.716 was close to filling up the full length of the cylinder. I do not know the speed of the bullet but recoil was very manageable and accuracy was great.

255 GRN, IMR 4227 18 grns, 1.716 OAL, Fed. Large Mag Primer

Hi Nick,

Not intending to be snarky, but that bullet has a crimp groove. The OAL is whatever it is when the case is crimped in the groove, which it should be. That said, the nose appears to be quite long. You don't say what gun you intend to use, but it almost certainly won't work in a Freedom Arms Model 97. It probably will work in a Ruger Blackhawk, and likely will also work in a S&W Model 57.

Take care, Tom

Do the bullets have a crimp groove or cannelure? If so that is where I would seat them, unless that made them too long for your cylinder. If you are worried about reduced case capacity, always remember start with a low charge and work up till you get the performance you desire.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Okay, thanks guys. My gun is a 4" Model 58.

I'm aware these heavier boolits will likely hit high, due to how S&W regulated the 58's sights. I've shot some of C.P.'s 250gn boolits in this gun and they did hit higher than my go-to 215gn 'police load,' but not too bad.

Again, I'm just looking to blast a few bowling pins at the range and was wondering whether there's some 'optimal' OAL for 265gn slugs.

Yes, these boolits due have a crimp groove - two actually, if I'm looking at it correctly. The groove that's higher up on the boolit appears to be where the Grizzley factory ammo is crimped, thus giving a shorter COAL than what's stated in some of the load books.

Here's a link to a pic of the 265gn CP bullet as loaded by Grizzley:

http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/?app...w&ref=GC41M265

Here is a photo of the Cast Performance's 265gn WLNGC 41 caliber bullet:

https://www.grafs.com/cast-performance

It has one crimp groove, one lube groove, and a little gap above the gas check. Crimp in the crimp groove, as Grizzley did.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Nick,

Not intending to be snarky, but that bullet has a crimp groove. The OAL is whatever it is when the case is crimped in the groove, which it should be. That said, the nose appears to be quite long. You don't say what gun you intend to use, but it almost certainly won't work in a Freedom Arms Model 97. It probably will work in a Ruger Blackhawk, and likely will also work in a S&W Model 57.

Take care, Tom
    Agree with Tom. Crimp it in the crimp groove. If a model 58, crimp high in the crimp groove and crimp firm. It’s literally at cylinder length in MOST 57/58 models. Any crimp jump and you tie up the gun. If you’ve got the original grips, wear a glove.

BTW. OAL is in the 1.700-1-710 area IIRC.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 10-17-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Here is a photo of the Cast Performance's 265gn WLNGC 41 caliber bullet:

https://www.grafs.com/cast-performance

It has one crimp groove, one lube groove, and a little gap above the gas check. Crimp in the crimp groove, as Grizzley did.
    Thanks! Yes, I did mistake the 'lube groove' for a lower, second 'crimp groove.'

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Agree with Tom. Crimp it in the crimp groove. If a model 58, crimp high in the crimp groove and crimp firm. It’s literally at cylinder length in MOST 57/58 models. Any crimp jump and you tie up the gun.
    Thanks.

Yes, I'll crimp at the groove, and the resulting COAL will be what it is. That's what Grizzley Cart. Co. does with this boolit but their COAL isn't 1.700.

If you’ve got the original grips, wear a glove.
    Yes, mine wears the original wood Magna grips augmented by a Tyler-T grip.

Boolit Master
    if it becomes needed do not forget, you can crimp over the front shoulder of a K bullet.. just be ware of your powder charges since you have deep seated

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GLynn41 View Post
    if it becomes needed do not forget, you can crimp over the front shoulder of a K bullet.. just be ware of your powder charges since you have deep seated
    This is exactly why Blue Dot is squirrelly in the 41. It DOES NOT like being compressed. Unfortunately there is quite the variance with seating depth for 210gr weight class projectiles.