RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: 32-20/327 Fed Mag Blackhawk?

Boolit Grand Master

32-20/327 Fed Mag Blackhawk?

I ran across a Buckeye 32-20 Blackhawk and in the comments it was suggested that a 32 H&R Mag cylinder could be fitted for a nifty conversion.
    That got me thinking about why stop there? Why not a 327 Fed Mag cylinder for even more versitility as the Blackhawk certainly can handle the pressure. It would allow the use of 327 Mag, 32 H&R, 32 SW etc

Any reason why that wouldn't work?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The buckeye came with a .32hrm cylinder from ruger. Ruger also made a .327fed blackhawk so I would say the cylinder is long enough. I wouldn’t buy a buckeye that didn’t come with both cylinders, unless it was very cheap.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Many of the Buckeye's in 32 H&R have already been reamed to accept the 327 round. It makes it a bit more versatile. Finding a Blackhawk sized SPARE cylinder in .327 will be hard. The Blackhawks in .327 are harder to find, and not cheap. The Ruger 32 H&R mags were built on the Single-Six frame size.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the dumbest moves I ever made in my life was selling my convertible 32 Buckeye Special about 25 years ago... that still hurts! As soon as I found out about the 8 shot Blackhawk in 327, I bought one. I’m not likely to sell this one. I just wish there had been a 32-20 cylinder available for it as well. . I keep looking. I would swap the 8 shot ‘hawk for the combo ‘eye, then ream the H&R cylinder to 327. I’d willingly give up the two extra rounds to get a second cylinder.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Were all Buckeyes like that, 38-40 etc shipped with 2 cylinders? Probably be hard to locate a 327Fed or even a 32 HR. I did find a place that sells Blackhawk cylinders with .308 chambers for final reaming. Think one of those would work?

Boolit Master
    There were (2) Buckeye guns built. Both were convertibles. One was a 32-20/32 H&R mag,, and the other one a 38-40/10mm. If you wanted a 3rd cylinder,, it's hard to find one by Ruger,, so I'd say go with the custom one offered.

Boolit Master

Buckeye also had a 44-40 and 44 mag

I have the 38-40 & 10 MM

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    The 44-40/44 mag was not marked Buckeye. It WAS a special,, but not a marked Buckeye.
    The Buckeye guns,, have a special serial number block.
    610-00000 to 610-05202 for the 32 cal guns.
    611-00001 to 611-06199 for the 40 cal guns.

The non Buckeye,, 44 cal;
    87-00001 to 87-01219.

Many of the Buckeyes were shipped as sets! I have a matched number set where the prefix is the only difference.

Boolit Grand Master
    The single action enthusiast could do a lot worse than to own these three guns... I probably should have followed through with what I started rather than giving up the one I did buy. If it could be done with a SA revolver, it could be done with one of these. About the only thing I would have to change would be to ream the 32 H&R cylinder out to 327 Fed Mag. It's just a shame these weren't/aren't regular production variants!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    The 44-40/44 mag was not marked Buckeye. It WAS a special,, but not a marked Buckeye.
    The Buckeye guns,, have a special serial number block.
    610-00000 to 610-05202 for the 32 cal guns.
    611-00001 to 611-06199 for the 40 cal guns.

The non Buckeye,, 44 cal;
    87-00001 to 87-01219.

Many of the Buckeyes were shipped as sets! I have a matched number set where the prefix is the only difference.
    Didn't they all have a "Buckeye" stamped on them? I almost bought the 38-40/.40cal I think it was last year and didn't

The one I saw does not have the second cylinder. The price to get one made makes the gun prohibitive for me. Cheaper to wait and come across an original.