Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Enfield (No4) in action.

Would that be a Lithgow? My 25/303 is a Lithgow and as far as I can tell, they're among the finest SMLE's ever made.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Now THAT’S What I call “smokin” a camel!

I love my SMLE. I also have a faux L42A1, a faux No.5 and a Mk.3 Ross which I restored. In the photo is the faux No.5 and my SMLE.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0002.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	230420

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Would that be a Lithgow? My 25/303 is a Lithgow and as far as I can tell, they're among the finest SMLE's ever made.
    Yes its a Lithgow made rifle , I have a 25/303 Lithgow factory conversion ,deluxe model (Has chequering) and a sporting rear flip up leaf sight and ramp front ,amazingly the front sight hood is still in place usually they are lost and long gone .
    The bore on this rifle is pristine ,I doubt its fire more that one packet of cartridges . The stock was damaged but I have repaired it and refinished it back to its former glory .Has a Field sidemount (Aussie made ) and a fixed 6x scope on it .Im yet to fire it .

Mine was super accurate with 87 gr bullets when I had a mini suppressor/muzzle break on it.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-24-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    A young guy shooting a Lithgow smelly at the range came up to me ...."How can I get the bolt out?"...I was surprised ,but I showed him and his girlfriend........Then he tried it,and still couldnt get the bolt out....he couldnt get a grip on the bolthead..........I said "Ya shoulda got a #4 with the cutaway......then ya could do it easy."..He didnt know what i was talking about.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    My Son used my No1 MkIII on camels this week .
    American here...what do you do with camels after you shoot them? Can you eat those awful things?

Boolit Master
    They must be good eating as very few have survived in their native desert, well I assume that's why their thin on the sand. Regards Stephen

My father bought my #4 for me back when I was a teenager and it cost about $30 with a scope mounted. 22 scope and 22 scope grooves, but it worked. I shot my first deer with it as did my son and still have it. Not the scope. I also had a couple of others. One in full battle dress I foolishly sold and another "sporterized model" that was made in the US and had a 2 groove barrel like many US 06's. The 2 Groove did not like cast but the others did. Shot a nice deer with the one in battle dress and a cast bullet. Wanted to duplicate the old 215 grain hunting bullet and came close. I had to use the rear sight tipped up to have it properly sighted in. Great old rifles.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    American here...what do you do with camels after you shoot them? Can you eat those awful things?
    No way, ugly smelly horrible things. We cull them every year on a blokes property and just leave them, they are increasing in numbers. The 303 with 215grn Woody's pulls them up, as does the 6.5x55 with Norma tombac jacketed 156grn.

Boolit Master

Camel isn't half-bad. You just have to get over preconceptions. Some folks hate venison or can't handle the thought of eating bear meat also. I bet there are folks in Australia who eat camel and probably kangaroo also.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    My dad shot for his regiment (artillery) preferred the the p14 for target shooting.he thought they had the accuracy edge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Camel isn't half-bad. You just have to get over preconceptions. Some folks hate venison or can't handle the thought of eating bear meat also. I bet there are folks in Australia who eat camel and probably kangaroo also.

Bruce
    My family have no trouble with venison, kangaroo, rabbit, goat but camel, it's banned.

Boolit Master
    The arabs eat camels,and you can see whats happened to them...We shoot horses too,but ive never eaten one (knowingly)....dont like venison either,dry and tasteless...........now goat and rabbit,youve got something cookin...........Did you know if you eat nothin but rabbit and damper with treacle,you get Barcoo rot.All your teeth fall out......but that might be the treacle...and your bones get chalky.....Only known cure for Barcoo rot is Goanna oil......the genuine stuff ,not the chinese rubbish sold under the name here now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Did you know if you eat nothin but rabbit and damper with treacle,you get Barcoo rot.All your teeth fall out......but that might be the treacle...and your bones get chalky.....
    Many years ago I read of a group of hunters who were canoeing down a river on a weeks long expedition living off the land and they ran into a problem with malnutrition after subsisting on only rabbit and trout . Some form of scurvy I suppose.
    Neither rabbit nor trout have any fat to speak of. Apparently that was the problem. I suppose any vitamins are more likely stored in fat than in lean meat. Some vitamins are described as fat soluble.
    Anyway they went on to say that the Indians used pemmican, mainly animal fat mixed with ground nuts and berries, to make up for the lack of fat in small game and fish.

US Army field testing proved that if pemmican was added to the cold weather rations Caucasians could endue hard labor in extreme cold as well as the Eskimo.

Boolit Master
    Hi multigunner.Scurvy is caused by a lack of vitamin C.That`s how the British got the nick name of"Limeys".Because of the large quantities of limes that were carried on board ship on the long voyages for a good supply of the juice for scurvy prevention.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12