Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Win/Miroku 1873 44-40

Boolit Buddy
    Today i did a cerrosafe cast of the chamber and throat and double checked my bore cast. I found that my bore is in fact .430, not .431 as i originally measured. That explains why most of the ammo made for Model 92 don't chamber. My 92 has a .431 bore and looser chamber tolerances.

The chamber dimensions are such that bullet should be sized to .430 to allow enough room for the case neck to expand and release the bullet.
    Rounds made with .431 bullets are a snug fit in the chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    It has been explained to me that the 45 Colt was never chambered in original designs because it was a difficult cartridge to the get the cartridge load and feed as well as other cartridges did and it was just plain bothersome to entertain.Modern engineering has made it possible with the dreaded '45 Colt Bulge' in leverguns so chambered.Virtually all 45 Colt chambers are big sloppy affairs in leverguns regardless of who made it with few exceptions.This aids in the feeding/chambering issues that had been discovered in the early rifles that were never commercially produced,it's not because the manufacture does'nt know how to chamber a rifle.
    Something to ponder, "It has been said to me",....JK, that Winchester never chambered the 45 Colt in a rifle because it was a cartridge designed by "COLT", was a "COLT" cartridge, and wanted a cartridge with a W-W headstamp. Also, could have been also because they didnt have the Right to do so, and didnt want to possibly pay for it, Of course speculation on my part.
    Also I have, and shoot alot of 45 Colt handloads, 3 in SA revolvers, (Colt, Colt Clone, and Ruger), and 1 rifle, a 94, Made in Japan, I have never experienced the "dreaded '45 Colt Bulge'"! Manufacturers have, IMHO, done a pretty good job of giving us things, unheard of years ago! But even when they do, for whatever reasons, some consumers are still not very happy.
    I know this has nothing to do with the OP's post so let me say I also have a Winchester '92, Made in japan, in 44 magnum. I would have likes to have one in 44-40, but knowing that the barrels were not set up for 44-40, instead, because of mfg. costs, use the same as for the 44 mag, That is what I went with. I also, because of being a Boolit caster and handloader, my 44 magnum is loaded with titegroup and brought down to the 44-40 ballistics with bullets cast in one of Mihecs wonderful molds, a 200 gr plain base. After all, once the Boolit leaves the muzzle its just a .44 caliber bullet, traveling at 44-40 velocities, nothing more, nothing less. But also, with the 44 magnum, not having the potential, for headaches of shooting an undersized bullet or using a proper size boolit and having clambering problems.
    Crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Winchester model 73 wouldn't work reliably with the the tiny .45 Colt rim. You can bet Winchester would have chambered the Govt. Issue .45 Colt if they could have. Colt wasted little time in chambering the SAA for 44-40; calling it the Frontier Six Shooter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have had the rifle for a week now, I went with one of Accurate's 44-40 B/P 215 gr. boolits @ .430 cast with 16:1 WW brass 38 grs. of Swiss 1.5 gave me 1.5"-2.0" groups @ 50 yds. Not bad for the first time out,definately need to change out the factory front and rear sight. I used RCBS 'Cowboy' dies and they made handloads that fit my rifle perfectly, did not crush a single case neck while seating bullets or bulge a case while compressing B/P even with 40 grs. Also there was no need to use case lube when resizing new brass at least with WW brass and RCBS dies.Now I want a Win/Miroku 92 in 44-40, the 73 is for B/P loads only maybe some similar level smokeless when I get bored.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Winchester model 73 wouldn't work reliably with the the tiny .45 Colt rim. You can bet Winchester would have chambered the Govt. Issue .45 Colt if they could have. Colt wasted little time in chambering the SAA for 44-40; calling it the Frontier Six Shooter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    What about company dynamics? I read a story said colt manufactured a lever gun for trial marketing - winchester countered with five or six quite nice pistols - there was a meeting - colt decided to ditch their lever gun - these things happen behind closed doors all the time .....

Boolit Buddy
    I went with one of Accurate's 44-40 B/P 215 gr. boolits @ .430 cast with 16:1 WW brass 38 grs. of Swiss 1.5 gave me 1.5"-2.0" groups @ 50 yds.
    Now I want a Win/Miroku 92 in 44-40, the 73 is for B/P loads only maybe some similar level smokeless when I get bored.
    I took mine out for it's maiden shoot a couple of days ago. I was using the 43-220C which is the same bullet style but for smokeless. My load was 7.8gn of Unique and delivered 1180fps average velocity. The results can be seen in the pic below. 50 rounds at 50m (55yd) fired from the bench and most are inside the 10 ring. I'm very happy with how it shoots.

I put a Marble's tang sight and Lyman 17A front globe sight on mine. I was using one of the Lee Shaver inserts in the front sight. That combination worked really well.

I have a Miroku 92 and it's also a beautifully made rifle but not as accurate as the 1873, but i suspect that has much to do with the sights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0736 (Small).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	230231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0750 (Small).jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	230232

I have the 92 Win/Miroku 45 Colt once I got the right size/design boolit it shoots very well,you are right,very well made rifles.I have the 1873 Win/Miroku in 38/357 SRC as well, beuatifully made rifle I am not impressed with the cartridge in a lever rifle, it feels puny.It currenty has a MVA tang sight and MVA front sight I am waiting for a base for the pistol grip 1873 and change them over to the 44-40.This rifle want's to shoot and I'm already looking at a heavier bullet mould. Accurate has a bunch suitable to 44-40 WCF.

Boolit Buddy
    We could be long lost twins Randy.

I have also owned a Win/Miroku 92 Takedown in 45LC and a 1873 Color Case Hardened Short Rifle in .357.

Whats the MVA sight? I haven't heard of them before. The Marble Arms Tang fits both the straigh and pistol grip rifles just fine.

https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/
    Montana Vintage Arms = MVA very high quality vernier and Soule sights, they make a copy of the Lyman tang sight for most of the lever guns I have not used the Lyman copy just vernier and soule sights.. I have used their sights for years on my BPCR rifles and very comfortable with them.Everything they make is suitable for the finest rifles or not and you do get what you pay for.
    I just looked MVA list's two different bases for straight or pistol grip, I see no difference in the top tang of either rifle. I'll see if it fits with out any problem but I do like each rifle having it's own vernier or peep tang. Have you used the Marbles tang sight on the Win/Miroku 92 with the tang safety ?

We could be long lost twins Randy.
    Could be.
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 11-11-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    just what is the difference between cowboy dies and a lyman 3 die set ?

Expanding die for off the shelf dies are set up for jacketed bullets. 'Cowboy' expander dies are for fat cast bullets

just what is the difference between cowboy dies and a lyman 3 die set ?

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Randy I installed a marbles tang peep on 92 Miroku 45 takedown, fit like glove tang wood was slightly proud, base fit between wood perfect I only installed tang screw never drilled and tapped the second one.
    It has never moved in over a year of use.

Thank you for that danmat, I have real disdain to drill and tap another hole,I'm going to give one a try.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for that danmat, I have real disdain to drill and tap another hole,I'm going to give one a try.
    ???? My original 92"S are D&T from the factory for the forward screw for a marbles tang sight

That's great, we are talking about new/newer Win/Miroku 92's they have the tang safety which you have to use the action screw and drill/tap for a second screw using any tang sight. Danmat just used the action screw to secure the Marbles sight,he indicated satisfactory results without D/T'ing for the second screw..

My original 92"S are D&T from the factory for the forward screw for a marbles tang sight

Boolit Buddy
    I also have the cch 73 Miroku which is d and t for a tang sigjht I'm pretty sure this year they released the 92 trapper cch and it is also d and t for a tang sight I believe

Boolit Buddy
    https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/
    Montana Vintage Arms = MVA very high quality vernier and Soule sights, they make a copy of the Lyman tang sight for most of the lever guns I have not used the Lyman copy just vernier and soule sights.. I have used their sights for years on my BPCR rifles and very comfortable with them.Everything they make is suitable for the finest rifles or not and you do get what you pay for.
    I just looked MVA list's two different bases for straight or pistol grip, I see no difference in the top tang of either rifle. I'll see if it fits with out any problem but I do like each rifle having it's own vernier or peep tang. Have you used the Marbles tang sight on the Win/Miroku 92 with the tang safety ?

Could be.

I emailed MVA this week. They said their 1886 tang sight should fit my Miroku 73 and that it comes with the correct mounting screws. I plan to order one soon, I'll post the results.

I suppose the 1885 and 1886 MVA bases are the same, When I called them and ordered mine as I could not find a listing for the 1873 on their web site, they said the 1885 base is the correct one for the Win/Miroku. Also note that they list a pistol grip and striaght grip bases. I just put straight base on a pistol grip and fits the same. The top tang is the same only the bottom tang is different, The new/ Win./Miroku 1886's and 92's have the tang safety which the 1873's do not, I dont see how the 1886 base will fit the 1873.

Boolit Master
    I suppose the 1885 and 1886 MVA bases are the same, When I called them and ordered mine as I could not find a listing for the 1873 on their web site, they said the 1885 base is the correct one for the Win/Miroku. Also note that they list a pistol grip and striaght grip bases. I just put straight base on a pistol grip and fits the same. The top tang is the same only the bottom tang is different, The new/ Win./Miroku 1886's and 92's have the tang safety which the 1873's do not, I dont see how the 1886 base will fit the 1873.
    difference from pistol grip to straight should be because of length of the tang screw ?

difference from pistol grip to straight should be because of length of the tang screw ?

The Win/Miroku 1873 has seperate holes D/T'd on the tang for tang sights without using the action screw Win/Miroku 1892's and 1886's do not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast