Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: What rifle to get?

Boolit Buddy

What rifle to get?

I'm thinking of picking up a rifle caliber levergun for cowboy action side matches. I do NOT want a .45-70, my Sharps in that caliber is enough. I do have a .35-55 Uberti High Wall with a .380 throat, .3795 groove (originally had it as bore), I size to .381 and my mold drops 1:20 at .382. I'd like to be able to use the same ammo in the levergun if I go with .38-55.

Who makes one in .38-55 with a .380 throat? What specific model/s should I look at?

TIA.
    Last edited by Rokkit Syinss; 11-20-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    63/37 Sn/Pb is a terrible boolit alloy but its other use pays the bills.

Often what works in a single shot does not work in a lever. Many of the originals would easily take your 381 bullet and some use them in the Marlin CB. I use a 379 in mine and it functions well through the action. Problem is that the early ones were not all that standard as far as dimensions. You might get a Winchester 94 with those dimensions or one that takes a 377. Same for a Marlin 93. About the only "new" source of 38-55's is to buy a kind of a Junker used rifle and have some one like JES rebore it. JES standard re bores however fun to 376 I believe.

I don't know what mold you have but generally levers only function with flat nose types and not the longer bore riding 300+ grain round noses.

DEP

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Often what works in a single shot does not work in a lever. Many of the originals would easily take your 381 bullet and some use them in the Marlin CB. I use a 379 in mine and it functions well through the action. Problem is that the early ones were not all that standard as far as dimensions. You might get a Winchester 94 with those dimensions or one that takes a 377. Same for a Marlin 93. About the only "new" source of 38-55's is to buy a kind of a Junker used rifle and have some one like JES rebore it. JES standard re bores however fun to 376 I believe.

I don't know what mold you have but generally levers only function with flat nose types and not the longer bore riding 300+ grain round noses.

DEP
    I was afraid that might be the case with rifles. The mold is an Accurate 38-250D so it should work in a lever.

Your 250 should work if a flat nose. Its hard to recommend a lever as the only one made new I have seen was a 94 advertised in Midway USA. Its a Winchester 94 Miraku I believe. While a bit spendy, if still available it would be a good one to get as you would avoid the **** shoot you get in trying to find out what diameter a old original can use. The bores on original ones varied a great deal. It might take the 381 bullet as a few shooter use it in the Marlin CB like mine, but I really get good results with a 379.

My brother in law had a Uberti Winchester high wall clone and it had a very generous bore. Bullets that worked in my Marlin would key hole out of the Uberti. Your loads sound about right.

DEP

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Your 250 should work if a flat nose. Its hard to recommend a lever as the only one made new I have seen was a 94 advertised in Midway USA. Its a Winchester 94 Miraku I believe. While a bit spendy, if still available it would be a good one to get as you would avoid the **** shoot you get in trying to find out what diameter a old original can use. The bores on original ones varied a great deal. It might take the 381 bullet as a few shooter use it in the Marlin CB like mine, but I really get good results with a 379.

My brother in law had a Uberti Winchester high wall clone and it had a very generous bore. Bullets that worked in my Marlin would key hole out of the Uberti. Your loads sound about right.

DEP
    Flat nose bullet so that's not an issue. I just spoke with Winchester and the current 1894s have a .377" groove +/-.002" which not going to cut it as I do not want to have to keep track of ammo with two different bullet diameters.

Uberti makes one but nobody imports it. Uberti USA did not have the groove or throat specs.

Ah well, looks like .30-30 it's going to be.

If you look you might find a Win 94 Chief Crazy Horse or some such. Some members here have the post 64 38-55s and they are .379-380" reportedly.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you look you might find a Win 94 Chief Crazy Horse or some such. Some members here have the post 64 38-55s and they are .379-380" reportedly.
    Bunch of those, Legendary Frontiersman and Oliver F. Winchester rifles on the various auction sites.