RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger PC Carbine with some test data

Boolit Master

New Ruger PC Carbine with some test data

So I have been pining for a 9mm carbine.
    Like everyone else, I had to prioritize and the carbine sat at the bottom of the list for quite some time.

After some serious saving, it got bumped up.
    Ordered from Bud's and picked it up from the local ffl last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181016_131827a.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	228964

It is a heavy sucker, like hefting a brick but fits well in this case for easy pitching into the truck.

Name:	20181016_132726a.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	228965

The Glock 26 that is the grab and go pack.
    It has a 10 round magazine with pinky extension inserted.
    A G17 magazine in the 'pouch'.

Name:	20181016_132854a.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	228966

I reversed the bolt handle location and swapped out the magwell blocks.
    The G26 magazine (without pinky extension) fits just fine.

Name:	20181016_132819a.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	228967

Awhile back I chronographed my G26 with winchester whitebox 115gn fmj and my "round of choice" lee 125gn round flat covered in Smoke's "clear" powdercoat.

Name:	20181016_133707a.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	228968

Not the greatest chrono' but it attaches to my tablet/phone for saving groups.

chrono_2017_06_13_12_53_59.txt
    chrono_2017_06_13_12_54_45.txt
    chrono_2018_10_16_13_41_26.txt
    chrono_2018_10_16_13_52_05.txt

100% function with all rounds.
    Bolt locked back on empty mags.
    10 round, 17 round, 33 round all identical function.

I really like this carbine and I chose it over a couple other contenders.
    The Just Right takedown carbine was looked at MANY times.

The Ruger won me over with factory iron sights but capable of adding something else.
    Tradition grip over AR style. (I own and shoot an AR regularly as well).

I think I'll keep it.

'monkey
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WebMonkey; 10-16-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    I was playing with one today. It is on my to get list considering I have a Tupperware tote full of G17 mags.

Great report but I missed the accuracy results somehow?

Quite a velocity spread for the Winchester white box. More than I would have expected.
    I, also, would like to see the accuracy report if possible.

I bought one about 4 weeks ago. Put on a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight. Only tested it at my home pistol range which is 25 yards. Out of 4 test loads, 3 loads shot one inch groups. Two were factory Remington and Winchester 115 gr. HP and my reload consisting of a 124 gr. Extreme copper plated RNFP over 4.3 gr. of W-231 powder. The Bushnell is a 3 minute dot at 100 yards, and if I had mounted a scope, I am sure I would have gotten those groups down to 1/2-3/4 inches. No malfunctions of any kind and I love the gun, So will my grandkids. The Dillon progressive reloading machine has been getting a workout on loading 9mm for the grandkids fun.

My PC9 with the lee 120TC sized to .358 powder coated over 3.8 grn bullseye will hit my 3 inch spinner at 100 yards every shot with a Lucid 2.5MOA red dot

Moderator Emeritus

I bought one 3 weeks ago and tried it first with open sights and it was a tack driver....added a Bushnell Trophy TRS25 red dot and it is a great gun. Very accurate and fun to shoot as well. Converted it to Glock magazines and have some 17 rounder and a few 33 magazines and 4 other HAWKS tried it and they are all buying one as well......for me it is the right gun at the right time....it is the modern version of the old pistol/rifle combinations of the 1880's!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

That is good news about the accuracy. I can forgive the ugly if a gun is accurate and dependable. No one has ever called an AR or AK "pretty"......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Texas by God, Before I bought my PC-9, I read around 20-25 reviews on different web sites and all of them gave good reviews on the accuracy of the Ruger carbine. Sounds like Ruger got this one right at the start of production. Would make a good truck gun for pest-varmint shooting and good home defense carbine for a woman or man that prefers a carbine over a handgun.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    Texas by God, Before I bought my PC-9, I read around 20-25 reviews on different web sites and all of them gave good reviews on the accuracy of the Ruger carbine. Sounds like Ruger got this one right at the start of production. Would make a good truck gun for pest-varmint shooting and good home defense carbine for a woman or man that prefers a carbine over a handgun.
    knifemaker is right....I did a lot of research prior to buying and still wanted to shoot one before I bought one.....one video showed a man shooting about 1000 round torture test.....the gun had one ftf toward the last rounds....the gun was literally smoking.......his accuracy was great as well as he was shooting steel the entire time from different distances.....fast forward a few days and a man had one at the range I go to.....50 rounds later I was smiling from ear to ear and the next day I had one in my possession....the little gun is amazing and soooo much fun to shoot!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

i've only shot steel with it so far so no accuracy tests 'with pictures'

i'll have to set some paper up to see how the lee projectiles group.
    they all hit the 6" gong without fail at 20 yards though

as mentioned, by others above, definitely intended as a companion to the g26 sharing cartridge and magazine.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Quite a velocity spread for the Winchester white box. More than I would have expected.
    I, also, would like to see the accuracy report if possible.
    I've heard that the WWB ammo these days is very suspect. I bought a box in 9mm a couple of months ago and the primer pockets all looked "funny". It used to be my go-to for cheap plinking ammo. No more.

Attachment 229325
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I have had mine for almost two weeks. Thursday will be it's two weeks birthday. So far 362 rounds down range with Glock mags. No failures. Mine is sporting a Sig Romeo5 red dot.

Boolit Master
    I have been seriously considering one of these. My question is, how is it when shot left-handed? Is the ejection port set forward far enough so that it is not going to give me a headache every time I shoot it? Like happened when I shot a mini-14? Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Buddy
    My PC9 is great!! I’ve shot probably around 40-50k through mine!! I have even killed deer with it!

Boolit Master

Exactly what I was looking for and it does not dissapoint! Bought a prismatic scope and is will shoot shoot 2 1/2" groups at 50 yds, 4" at 100. Bought the SR9 pistol this year that uses the same 17 rd mags. That's a good shooter too. And yes, the carbine will kill a pig!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I have been seriously considering one of these. My question is, how is it when shot left-handed? Is the ejection port set forward far enough so that it is not going to give me a headache every time I shoot it? Like happened when I shot a mini-14? Thanks.

exile
    My BIL shoots long guns left handed and can shoot my PC carbine with no issues. He previously he had bought a Kel Tek sub 2000 and promptly sold it after finding it spit brass and powder in his face. He stands about 6'9" so I guess there is a fair amount of face clearance.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    My BIL shoots long guns left handed and can shoot my PC carbine with no issues. He previously he had bought a Kel Tek sub 2000 and promptly sold it after finding it spit brass and powder in his face. He stands about 6'9" so I guess there is a fair amount of face clearance.
    Thanks Kenton, exactly the information I was looking for. Now if I can make up my mind between this or a 16" Henry lever action with a large loop.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    Love my pc 9. Just wish ruger would have offered it in a 10mm or 45acp I have moved my charging handle to the left side. I burn up ammo way to fast. I have installed a trigger kit and built up the mag release for faster changes. This is my steel race gun. The only person I race is me due to grumpy old farts at my local club. I’m a grumpy old fart too but I like to burn some ammo in the name of fun. They feel anyone who burns more than 5-10 bullets a year is wasteful.

Crap I might have gotten off topic sorry. Pc9 is an oversized 10-22 and is just as fun to shoot as one too.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The day Ruger makes one in a 44 mag I’ll buy one. After the Ruger 44 carbine and Deerfield it would’ve only made sense for them to manufacture one in a 44 mag.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast