Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: New Ruger PC Carbine with some test data

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I size mine to .358. I have some .357 that I can also try. What powder and charge does yours like? I tried Green Dot first because I've never found a gun or cartridge that wouldn't shoot it with good accuracy.
    Alliant powders are scarcer than hen's teeth up here. I load my 9MM guns for IDPA Competition. My go to load to make 130ish power factor (Vel x bullet weight/1000) is 4.1 gr of 231 under Lyman's 356402 bullet.

I find the 9MM guns really favour 124 - 125 gr bullets for accuracy. At the distances we shoot IDPA - longest is 20yards for regular stages and out to 35 yards for standard exercises. The Down Zero on the body is 8". The head box circle is 4" and the max distance for head shots is 10 yards. It is definitely not bulls eye shooting.

I should add though off a bench the load is very accurate out to 20 yards. Aging eyes exclude accuracy attempts with iron sights beyond 20 yards with a handgun. The 9MM is pretty open when it comes to powders. I have also used 700X, HS-6 and Unique with good results. I use Titegroup and CFE Pistol for Jacketed bullets both for 125 gr and 147 gr versions.

I don't load the 9MM for self defense, I have a SIG 226 Navy loaded with factory Black Talons in a bedside stand. Truthfully though where I live I have a better chance of getting hit by lightning every other day than needing a gun for protection from two legged types. Up here the drug dealers live a somewhat different lifestyle the is nothing I am familiar with. I would load for them if they promised me they wouold learn to shoot accurately.

Unless you really have a gun with a overly large bore I think you might be better off sizing them .357.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 06-04-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thanks!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Just a Public Service Announcement for those who haven't been down the road yet:

I bore slugged and pin-gauged mine: Groove diameter of .356", bore diameter of .346". . .bog standard dimensions based on other 9mm's I've sampled the same way
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Just a Public Service Announcement for those who haven't been down the road yet:

I bore slugged and pin-gauged mine: Groove diameter of .356", bore diameter of .346". . .bog standard dimensions based on other 9mm's I've sampled the same way
    Interesting info for sure. I would have thought the Groove diameter would have been ,355. Next time I am over at my gunsmith I'll ask him to check my rifle. I don't have the pin gauge to check, he does.

Thanks for posting that.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Interesting info for sure. I would have thought the Groove diameter would have been ,355. Next time I am over at my gunsmith I'll ask him to check my rifle. I don't have the pin gauge to check, he does.
    Thus far on my 9x19mm samplings: The PC Carbine, Ruger P85, Gen 2 Glock 19, and Glock 48 with new "Marksman" barrel have displayed this .346"/.356" bore/groove combo.

A Springfield 1911 exhibited .346"/.355"

A KBI High Power clone was .348" bore, but still .356" groove.

My Gen 5 Glock seems to be .347"/.356" at the chamber, tapering to .346"/.355" at the muzzle.

Except for the P85, chambers all barely take a .391" or .392" pin gauge at the rear, and taper to about .381-.383" at the chamber mouth, although it is hard to determine when the gauge snugs up if you are stopping against chamber walls or the front headspacing surface. The P85 is a bit fatter up there - around /384"-.385".
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Thanks/ Your info might explain why my .356 lead bullets had a habit of tumbling out of my M&P Pro. That experience drove me to size all my lead bullets .357. Seems to be the answer for me for all my 9MM pistols.

Take Care

Bob

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567