Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: RCBS 502 scale, are they good?

Boolit Master

RCBS 502 scale, are they good?

Saw a 502 at a flea market yesterday. Inside a glass cabinet, box top was open. Looked to be lightly used. Anything in booth over $5 was 20% off. Marked at $35, market closing at end of month. Already have 3 scales, don't need another but curious if the 502 is one to avoid or not.

I've had a 502 for probably 20 years, never a problem with it. I don't think it has the range of the 505 but mines been good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Prudence | Justice | Fortitude | Temperance

Boolit Buddy
    All the RCBS range of scales, the 502, 505,5-10 and 10/10 use exactly the same knife edge/floating agate bearings set-up. None is more accurate than the other. The 502 and the 505 share the same body but the 502 is a simple two poise beam, the 505 has three poises, probably easier to set the weight if you have fat fingers but something extra that can induce errors.

The 5-10 and the 10/10 use the same beam with a rotary poise system but different bodies.

All of these scales are now discontinued (about 3-4 years ago) previous the that they have been made in either China or Mexico since about 2008. Even if the logo cast inside the base says "made by Ohaus, USA, it could still be made in China. The only way to tell is to look on the original cardboard box where it actually stated where it was made.

The only two beam scales currently supplied by RCBS is the M500 and the M1000 - The M500 is a direct replacement for the 502. $35 is a fair price if it's complete and good condition.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a used 502 scale. I adjusted the leveling foot halfway, set the two poises to zero, and added no. 6 shot to the pan, until it was near zeroed. I made a minor adjustment to the foot. I then placed the no .6 shot into the pan, with the screw. I have verified it against two electronic scales and a Lee scale. I trust it VERY much.

Boolit Man
    I think the best beam scale RCBS ever offered were the 304's made by Ohaus who I think called them ' dialamatics'. I've had two and still have one and wouldn't part with it for ANY digital. I use a digital for some things but I've never owned one that didn't drift so I really can't trust them for close work . And if you have a fluorescent light fixture in the same circuit as your electric digital you will have problems.

Regards

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garbler View Post
    I think the best beam scale RCBS ever offered were the 304's made by Ohaus who I think called them ' dialamatics'. I've had two and still have one and wouldn't part with it for ANY digital. I use a digital for some things but I've never owned one that didn't drift so I really can't trust them for close work . And if you have a fluorescent light fixture in the same circuit as your electric digital you will have problems.

Regards
    The old 304 was a grand scale - probably not made for over 30 years now. You still see plenty of dial-O-gram scales about for a good price but the 304 in grains seem to be thin on the ground.

Here's one I worked on a while ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGThfOYsrA

Boolit Man
    [QUOTE=1066;4482025]The old 304 was a grand scale - probably not made for over 30 years now. You still see plenty of dial-O-gram scales about for a good price but the 304 in grains seem to be thin on the ground.

Here's one I worked on a while ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGThfOYsrA[/QU

Yes ' dial-O-gram ' I knew it was something catchy like that but I missed it. That set up you show is quite amazing. At first I didn't get it or at least the device on the beam but after watching it's very clever and I'm sure phenomenally accurate. However see what you've done you went and eliminated the thrill of the dial and excitement of variability. So is this set up a something you produce and market or what ?

Boolit Buddy
    If you look through my videos on my youtube channel "thetargetmaster" you will see various other shooting related stuff I make.

Here's a nice 50 year scale - still working well and will still be going in another 50 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz2SWCjj5e4

Boolit Master

if I were offered a 'lightly used', in-the-box RCBS 502 for $35, I'd snatch if up 'fore the seller got sober and run like my britches were afire. I've got a 502 and a 10-10...both made in U.S.A. by Ohaus...and, now and then, check them against each other using a set of calibration weights. Properly leveled, accuracy is pretty much dead-on between the two. I like the 10-10's 3-poise adjustment a little better for weighing/sorting boolits but use them interchangeably for weighing powder charges.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I found a 502 and a Dial-O-Grain 3100 at an estate sale for $40, guess I should have felt guilty.

The 3100 is a grain scale made like 304 but the layout is a little different, is does go to 3100 grains. After a careful cleaning I checked with a weight set, it is dead on.

The 502 needed a little TLC but it looked almost new and is accurate enough and repeatable. At around 100 it starts gaining a little and is about 2 tenths off at 350 it then starts back down. At the ranges I weigh charges it is right on. I would have most likely bought the scales you found.

Very few scales I have checked are perfect through the entire range, in fact I have weighed check weight sets against each other and you can see a slight difference.

It seems most of the new scales are made overseas and while probably serviceable don't look to have the quality of the older sets. I have five sets of scales plus a Pact BBK, so I don't need any more but if I did I would try to find an older set.

Dave

Boolit Mold
    I have owns 502 , 10-10 and a 304. For a mechanical scale the 304 was the best scale of all of them. Very easy to use and accurate. I strictly use electric scales now ( RCBS Chargemaster 1500 scale & Rangemaster 750 ) . Both work flawlessly and accurate.

Boolit Master

I'm not going to make it back to that flea market before they go out of business. I already have 3 good scales so I did not get that one.