Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Model 30 Carbine

Old Model 30 Carbine

I recently acquired an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine. The cylinder sometimes over rotates. To fix this Ruger carved a tunnel between chambers so the firing pin doesn't hit steel. I don't like the fact that it sometimes rotates past and between chambers, is there anything I can do about this? Any other neat trivia or tips on the Blackhawk would be nice too. Not new to Blackhawks or 30 carbines, but am new to the two combined so any warnings or advice about their quirks would be appreciated.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would send it back to Ruger for repair. Doesn't "smell" right.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I figure they wouldn't do much since it's a problem they're aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    I figure they wouldn't do much since it's a problem they're aware of.
    Over-rotation more than 5 degrees in which the locking bolt engages the cylinder not simply should not happen.

If when cocking the hammer cylinder rotation is not stopped positively by engagement of the bolt or cylinder stop with the locking bolt notches cut into the cylinder circumference, that is called a "throw-by" and is a MAJOR category defect which they should repair under warranty.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger would replace the trigger parts with NM parts (transfer bar) and would repair the over rotation if that did not fix the problem.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Ruger would replace the trigger parts with NM parts (transfer bar) and would repair the over rotation if that did not fix the problem.
    They will ALSO return your old parts and any non-factory, after-market parts to you.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

cyl over rotating is a timing problem, and should be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    They will ALSO return your old parts and any non-factory, after-market parts to you.

But if you put them back in, you'll be right back where you started.

In other news, I don't have first hand experience with old models, but new model 30's can have tiny throats. (mine were .305-ish) I always assumed they did it on purpose to aid headspace, but it's Ruger, so who knows.
    Former cylindersmith.

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    But if you put them back in, you'll be right back where you started.

In other news, I don't have first hand experience with old models, but new model 30's can have tiny throats. (mine were .305-ish) I always assumed they did it on purpose to aid headspace, but it's Ruger, so who knows.
    Tight throats give best accuracy with factory ammo having jacketed bullets.

My 1972 date of manufacture .30 Carbine Ruger has .310 throats and shoots everything well, either cast or jacketed. If yours is tight, .310 is a good place to stop when having DougGuy hone them.

WCC44 Ball ammo is more accurate from the Ruger at 100 yards than my 1944 Inland M1 carbine.

I size Accurate 31-100T cast bullets .309, the same as I do for my 7.62x25 Tokarev and use the same 7.4 grains of AutoComp in the carbine and Ruger.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Not THAT tight. I like my bullets to at least touch the sides of the barrel on the way down.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 2013 edition of Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine. Its internal dimensions are about as perfect as can be--throats are .3085", grooves are .308" right on the dot. Cast bullets sized at .309" shoot very well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Maybe I should have been more specific. The pistol's already had the transfer bar conversion done. It's more of a too much momentum problem. As long a sI cock it slow, it's fine. When I try to run it at speed is when it over rotates. Playing with the empty revolver it is during the half cock cycle. If I put it on half cock really fast and hard I can make it skip 2 chambers ind be halfway to the third. I contacted Ruger and was informed that until I have it converted/upgraded I will receive no help. I sent them a second email informing them a second time it already had the transfer bar safety and have received no reply as yet and really don't expect to receive one from them.

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    Maybe I should have been more specific. The pistol's already had the transfer bar conversion done. It's more of a too much momentum problem. As long a sI cock it slow, it's fine. When I try to run it at speed is when it over rotates. Playing with the empty revolver it is during the half cock cycle. If I put it on half cock really fast and hard I can make it skip 2 chambers ind be halfway to the third. I contacted Ruger and was informed that until I have it converted/upgraded I will receive no help. I sent them a second email informing them a second time it already had the transfer bar safety and have received no reply as yet and really don't expect to receive one from them.
    I would contact the General Counsel for Ruger in Southport, CT. When they converted and upgraded your gun to transfer bar, they accepted responsibility for returning to you a SAFE gun. If you still have the "throwby" condition that is a major category defect and if they are unable to fix the gun, and return it in a SAFE condition, they should replace it with a current model.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Call them on the phone. Explain your problem as best you can and they should give you a Return Authorization Number to send it back. You are stating that they said they won't touch it because it's already been converted? By who?
    Ruger doesn't like to have unsafe Rugers out in the public. I'd say try again. 888-220-1173 is the phone number. I hope you get it going- Blackhawks rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
    Your Customer Service Issue # is 10106289

Owners of all "Old Model" (pre-1973) Ruger single action revolvers, including Bearcats with serial numbers below 93-00000, can get our free safety conversion. It can help prevent accidents caused by a blow to the hammer if the user has failed to take the basic safety precaution of keeping an empty chamber under the hammer. In order to encourage our customers to take advantage of the free safety update, no service work will be performed and no parts will be sold for the revolver unless it has been converted. You can contact us at 336-949-5200 for more information.

The Old Model Conversion includes the replacement of the original hammer, trigger, cylinder pawl, cylinder latch, cylinder latch spring, base pin and trigger plunger spring. This service is offered at no charge to the customer and all original components, removed from the firearm, are returned along with the converted revolver. Please be advised any altered parts would not be returned.

That's the reply I got from Ruger cut and pasted . It looks like a standard reply that was probably also cut and pasted. I sent them a second email telling them it was already converted to the transfer bar safety system and have not received a reply. It's a shame, the gun really likes cast bullets and other than being useless is fun to play with.

You want the customer service supervisor, not the clerk who sends the postcards.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

To be honest, I don't think I want to talk to any of them. I at least actually got a response to my second inquiry in bold below. Look, the thing is that this is a problem Ruger knows about and is not going to fix. I'm wondering if anyone else has came up with a solution to solve it. I can't find a store locally that has wave washers or I'm going to try that.

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
    Your Customer Service Issue # is 10107514

We would like to take a look at your firearm to address your concerns. Please contact our Product Service Department at 336-949-5200 with the serial number to have an RMA number issued for return, you may send it in through your dealer if you prefer. Please have them contact us with the serial number and the stores FFL number to have an RMA number issued. Please be advised, if you will be sending the firearm through a dealer we will need the dealers permission to discuss the repairs with you. Once it gets evaluated someone will be in contact with an estimate.

Ruger Customer Service

You've made up your mind it seems- why did you post at all? It seems to me there is an underlying reason you don't want Ruger to see it but I'm just guessing at this point. They'll fix it -IF you let them have it.
    My .02 Nada Mas.

The reason I posted was simple, to see if anyone else had solved this problem and what they did to fix it. The reason I don't want to send it to Ruger is because it's a waste of time. They might fix it, they might not. I may be out a pistol for a few months and get it back in exactly the same shape as I sent it. They may send a new one with the exact same problem. I really appreciate all you smart ***** who don't have a clue responding to a problem you know nothing about.

I will consider myself put in my place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast