WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Tale of a Dillon RF 100 or how I don't have to tear it apart 3x per 100 primers 🤠

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Tale of a Dillon RF 100 or how I don't have to tear it apart 3x per 100 primers 🤠

for successive Christmas and birthdays I got both a S and L Dillon auto primers (took 3 years but I squirred away $$ to get them)

did the upgrade of adjustable speed control on both

SP one works like a champ at any speed (vibration) setting--life is good

LP one started to have the primers jam at the opening into the filler tube. Off comes the Lexan clear protective top, the plastic stablizer plate--push the primer through the hole and reassemble. Was jamming 3-5 times per 100 primers.--life is not good.

tried different speeds, new plates and plastic adapters from Dillon--no joy. Got so I was much faster using the primer tubes and flip try than struggling with the machine.

Finally set aside some time to work on it without hassle of reloading to get in way. After an hour had finally come up with the correct speed and stabilizer plate position to get it to run through an entire box of primers and not jam up.

for whatever reason it has a very narrow range of vibration speed that will work. So far have done 1K of primers with no jams--life is good again but not taking any deep breaths yet.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

What brand large primer are you using? I used to like Winchester but I have had lots of trouble with them since they stopped plating the cups.

Boolit Master

Winchester is what I'm using right now

turns out the vibration speed is very slow--much slower than my RF-100 small primer machine uses.

I still believe the primers are the problem but I can slow it down enough so the Win LP primers will work in the machine.

I try to support the LGS but on my next major mail order purchase will be going with Federal primers
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Banned

don't have any advice for you. I bought one years ago and stuggled with it from day one. Did all the upgrades and tricks dillion recommended and it still never worked a 100 percent of the time. Tried the adjustable rheostat, placing it on a piece of rubber and even shipped it back to them twice to fix with it coming back doing the exact same thing. Only Dillon product ive ever had a bad word to say about. Today I use the Frankfort arsenal units. there not a 100 percent either and theres a learning curve to them but once you figure them out there every bit as reliable (in reality more so) then the dillion and they cost 30 bucks instead of 300. I finally had enough with mine and boxed it up and sent it back to Dillon and they refunded the cost. Sure wish it would have worked well. It was a real time saver.

Boolit Master

I did find that cleaning the top tray, red fitting and primer tube now and then to help a lot. Unit is in garage but is kept covered with pillow case to allow air to 'breathe' in and out
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747