RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45 Colt hot loads barrel length..

Boolit Man

45 Colt hot loads barrel length..

Between 4 3/4" and 5.5" barrels, does the 3/4 inch really make a difference in recoil with stout or plus P loads. Especially from you fellas that have both.

Thanks guys.

Boolit Man
    Sorry about posting in this group guys. I thought i was still in "wheelguns"..lol

Oops..

Moderator Emeritus

I moved your thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky Montana View Post
    Between 4 3/4" and 5.5" barrels, does the 3/4 inch really make a difference in recoil with stout or plus P loads. Especially from you fellas that have both.

Thanks guys.
    Generally speaking when talking about recoil, if such a minor thing as the recoil difference between 4.75 inch and a 5.5 inch gun is bothering someone then they are too far gone as far as recoil is concerned.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

Boolit Man
    44mag.. No harm or offence taken my friend. And no im not recoil sensitive..lol. I also shoot 44 mag, 629 Classic Delux, 8 3/8 barrel. Just looking at two new Rugers and not decided which one..

Blacky

Vendor Sponsor

When you get into the upper end of Ruger Only loads, barrel length means nothing to recoil. It's going to be stout. More powder will burn in the longer barrel, you will see more velocity for the same loads as compared to the shorter barrel but not much really. The longer barrel would be more practical if accuracy is a concern due to the longer sight radius.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Man
    JonB.. thank you for moving my post buddy..lol

Boolit Master
    44mag.. No harm or offence taken my friend. And no im not recoil sensitive..lol. I also shoot 44 mag, 629 Classic Delux, 8 3/8 barrel. Just looking at two new Rugers and not decided which one..

Blacky
    Ive had both and have shot some memorable loads in a Redhawk 45 Colt 4.2 inch. Dont worry about the recoil. Pick the length you like the best and dont let recoil enter the picture.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

Boolit Man
    Id never had any of these questions if Ruger would have made the Blackhawk 45 Colt with 4 3/4 in stainless. Guess im still trying to convince myself to go with the Bisley 5.5" stainless...lol. Trying to find enough reasons to go with Bisley instead of blued 4 3/4".

Boolit Master

Earlier this year, Ruger made a run of SS fluted cylinder 4 5/8" plow handled pistols. They make them periodically and go fast.

Id never had any of these questions if Ruger would have made the Blackhawk 45 Colt with 4 3/4 in stainless. Guess im still trying to convince myself to go with the Bisley 5.5" stainless...lol. Trying to find enough reasons to go with Bisley instead of blued 4 3/4".
    I can only speak for myself, I would get that ss bisley and not look back. Especially if the intention is to shoot anything over standard pressure .45c loads. The 5 1/2” barrel length is my favorite, especially in the larger calibers. If you want to play cowboy buy the plow handle. If you want a hunting, working gun, get the bisley. If you intend to take it into the woods for handgun deer season get the bisley. The blue gun will eventually show holster wear.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    A friend picked up a 5.5 Bisley, and it's one of the best out of the box Rugers I've seen. I did a trigger job on it, and all I would personally change is the rear sight. I've tried to buy it from him to no avail. It handles heavy loads very well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 5.5 SS 45 colt and yes it handles heavy loads well. I believe it is very convenient to carry but, most of my hunting handguns have longer barrels. If sight radius is a problem, go with a red dot sight. I don't believe picking either one would be a mistake.

Boolit Master
    I have a 4 5/8” Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Loading it with 255FP’s at 850, 900 and 950fps I could tell a bit of recoil difference in each load. It had the black plastic checkered grips at the time, I don’t like them! BTW these were velocities listed in the the load book, I never chronoed them. YMMV Todd/3leg

Boolit Grand Master

I"ve run Linebaugh loads in both my 4 5/8 and 7 1/2 inch Blackhawks. I noticed a slight increase in velocity but not enough to make any difference to what I might be pointing it at. I can say the recoil is interesting but not anywhere near a 44Mag upper end. More of a push and ride it up than a sharp crack. The 7.5 would be more accurate and is easier to manage. This was done using H110 powder under 255gr.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum