Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Half jackets anyone?

Half jackets anyone?

I am going to be firing up the Swag-o-Matic and it uses these half jackets (that for the past ten years I had been thinking were just freakishly large gas checks without putting much thought into it) but i only have 20 of them.
    Are they still available in any way or can they be made by relatively normal people with anything less than a machine shop?
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Moderator Emeritus

I've seen vintage collections of half-jackets for sale in the S&S section on occasion.
    I don't know of anyone manufacturing and selling them?

Here are a couple threads with some info on making them.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-half-jackets

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lf-jacket-dies

PS, I moved your thread to "swaging", as the Gas check section isn't going to garner as many responses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    what caliber? I have about 200 .44 that I was trying to sell.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    I use 50BMG spent primers as 3/4 jackets for an 85gr 32 cal swc for use in a couple of 7.62 x 25 pistols. I use a lyman 65gr 257 boolit as the core.

Dies are in 358
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I use 50BMG spent primers as 3/4 jackets for an 85gr 32 cal swc for use in a couple of 7.62 x 25 pistols. I use a lyman 65gr 257 boolit as the core.
    How i dream of getting spent BMG primers to do something similar.... But BMG primers are rare as the rifles....And $1 each

Boolit Master
    I got most of my spent 50BMG primers from a guy in Fairbanks AK. He hangs out on Alaska Outdoor Forums by the name gunbugs. I gave him $30 for 3000 and he said he had a bunch more. You might try a line in the S&S on this forum. Quite a few folks shooting the 50 BMG and probably aren't using there spent primers.

Boolit Master

I recently was at a gun show here in Rochester and there was a guy selling off his father in laws stuff, he had everything for swaging .38/.357 except the dies. About a 1000 half jackets, lead wire all sorts of stuff. I bought all the primer for less than .01 each.
    I wish I had more cash on hand I would've bought all and passed on what I didn't need here.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    What lengths are you looking for? I may have some I would part with.