Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Using cast bullets in place of lead wire in a swaging press?

Using cast bullets in place of lead wire in a swaging press?

I just got the instructions to my CH Swag-o-Matic press (thanks Pressman) and it appears I have everything to swage half-jacketed bullets (including a few dozen of the jackets) except for the lead wire.
    My question is is there anything conceptually wrong with using a normal cast boolit of as pure lead lead as I can get? I was thinking a nose down SWC would fit best.
    I've never swaged anything before and have a very limited understanding of it.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Boolit Master
    If it's soft leand, the right weight, and fits in the cup or jacket, I suspect you'll have good results.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    If it's soft lead, all that matters is that it is the right weight and it will fit in the half jacket. I have even used a smaller dia cast boolit that has been lubed to make a bigger dia gas checked or plain base boolit. I also use mine for uniforming cast boolits and changing the nose shape. I also made a die set to make an 85gr 32 cal half jacket swc boolit using spent 50 BMG primers for the jacket. They aren't the strongest press in the world so you have to be a bit careful with your lead hardness especially with larger boolits.

Thanks guys.
    I guess I know what I am doing tomorrow.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

As I am thinking about it, I think i will use some 356 boolits from the 9mm mold instead of the 358 SWCs, reckon it'll fit better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanHoln View Post
    I've never swaged anything before and have a very limited understanding of it.
    This will help with that. http://www.corbins.com/hb9-text.htm