Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ideas for mounting various bench equipment - Modular

Boolit Buddy

Ideas for mounting various bench equipment - Modular

So on my bench, I have a press mounted only. Plan to shortly have a Lube Sizer mounted as well. I want to have a modular type setup for things like powder measure and trimmer. Thinking of mounting them to boards that can just be clamped to the bench when in use and removed when not. Just don't want a cluttered bench top. Thoughts and photos of your setups?

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I have a reloading bench that has two sheets of 3/4" plywood. The bottom sheet has a 16 X 10" rectangle cut out on the edge. The top sheet has a 12 X 8" rectangle cut out which over lays the cut out below with the front edge even. The bottom is supported by a 2 X 6 on its side. You can make inserts of two layers of plywood and mount your different reloading devices on a insert. This system is very stable and solid. The best part you can have a blank insert and have a table top to use as you want.
    I also have a second bench that I use a c clamp . This works well but I recommend 2 c clamps with a press. You need to use 2"lumber and countersink the nuts of mounting bolts.

I used T-Track on my bench it is inexpensive and very durable and versatile Here is a video wood workers use this on a lot various tables
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEIC6OgqoW4

Boolit Master
    If you've got the scratch, the Inline fabrication stuff is nice.

https://inlinefabrication.com/
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Simple inexpensive T nuts work for me.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Banned
    Attachment 228938Attachment 228939Attachment 228940

I started with "T" nuts under the bench top but then went to removable sections.

I have two benches and one has presses permanently mounted and the second bench is for cleaning guns and is used for equipment that is not dedicated to the bench. (case trimmers, lubersizers, shotshell presses, etc.)

The removable sections with equipment mounted to the "plugs" are far quicker to change out than using T nuts and bolts.

Moderator Emeritus

I use the Rock Dock system from Pat Marlin....sturdy and great.....good luck on your search......Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Ideas for mounting various bench equipment - Modular

Nothing wrong w/ boards and clamps for small items. For large items, like presses, you want them bolted down. I used to have one plate that had multiple holes drilled for different presses. The plate was secured to the bench. But I built a second smaller bench in my basement. I switched over to the Inline Fabrication quick change mounts when I did this. There’s an upfront cost but it’s worth it if you have a lot of tools you use. I can’t stand a messy bench or work area.

Boolit Master

Lee has a bench plate system that sells for about $35. I comes with several wooden mounting blocks that slide into the base plate. You tighten down the screws and you're ready to go. I did replace the slot head screws with cap screws so I can tighten them better with a large allen wrench. I have about a dozen pieces of equipment mounted on the wooden blocks and a base plate on two different benches. It only takes seconds to remove one tool and mount another. I bought a piece of 1x4 oak and cut out additional pieces for mounting tools. It's a solid system.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    I have been using boards and C- clamps for years, works great for my small bench and the price is right.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post
    I used T-Track on my bench it is inexpensive and very durable and versatile Here is a video wood workers use this on a lot various tables
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEIC6OgqoW4
    I currently use the same method. I enjoy the T-track and find it very easy to use, to shift items around, or to add / remove items that aren’t used as frequently. A couple simply passed with a router, some strong adhesive, and long screws into a 2x6 underneath the track have resulted in no press flex!

I use the same setup as Petrol and Powder on 3 different benches. All three have different heights so I can get comfortable with whatever press or accessory I'm using. I have 5 presses all mounted to its own insert, when not in use they live on a simple rack out of the way. I have blanks for a clean bench top when needed. My space is small now so having the ability to move things on and off the benches quick makes life so much better.
    Hope you find a method that works for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bench_socket1.resized.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

This is a good idea and I've done it myself, I use bolts or clamps in about 4 spots around the plate to make dead sure it's stable.

When I got into processing, I built 'Stations'.
    In manufacturing, there are specific work stations that are dedicated to one process (like soldering, or assembly, or QC...).

As it gets completely out of hand, you MUST do stations or it will consume every square foot of bench top!

I build stations now, free standing, moveable as needed, but dedicated to each process.
    Removable top sections would work with this also if I needed something besides what is currently mounted, and by using 1/4 & 1/2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, this is cheap & simple.

Left, case neck qualification machine/station,
    Middle is lower case rolling station, rolling reaches the parts of the case no top down die can reach,
    Left is decapping, swaging, sizing & trimming station,

The roller is on a plate and is easily removable so you can have full access to the press when needed since the sizing press is bolted to the bench top (and heavier/more difficult to move).
    Unlike the 650 loader (picture below) there is no press rams hanging down under the bench top, so this one got a storage drawer under the top for spare parts & tools. Keeps the station cleaner & more organized, but with a ram hanging down drawers are impractical.

--------

Loading & tear down/tooling stations,

I HATE 'Mystery' rounds on my bench!
    Anything questionable, anything suspect, or anything that needs further attention gets it on the spot with the Lee tool head press next to the loading press.
    I consider the two inseparable since not everything that comes out of a Dillon is 100% no matter what anyone says...
    The simple Lee tool head press let's me group my caliber specific tools (bullet pullers, decappers, etc) in inexpensive tool heads that swap out in about 5 seconds.

Not everyone is going to crank out 500-600 an hour, but when you do that volume, a yard sale tool press is a gift from the reloading gods!
    Last edited by JeepHammer; 10-22-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Boolit Master

Both my work benches have a 10"x12" piece of 3/8" aluminum tool plate inlaid into their tops. Plates are drilled and tapped with hole patterns to accommodate my reloading presses (Dillon and RCBS) and Lyman 450 lubrisizers. Set-up allows me to have two complete work stations at the same time.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Attachment 228938Attachment 228939Attachment 228940

I started with "T" nuts under the bench top but then went to removable sections.

I have two benches and one has presses permanently mounted and the second bench is for cleaning guns and is used for equipment that is not dedicated to the bench. (case trimmers, lubersizers, shotshell presses, etc.)

The removable sections with equipment mounted to the "plugs" are far quicker to change out than using T nuts and bolts.
    That is a good way of doing it!
    Don Verna